Mary Says - Melodic Alt Pop

DarkFriend

Mary Says by Evan Lesser | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hey there good folks. I'd like to present about two years worth of work on a single song for your review. I'm not very prolific, but when I can get around to recording, it's a love.

This song is about the fun subject of mental health, and the baggage that friends drop on us when they're not well.

I'd greatly appreciate your comments on the recording, mix, and song itself. Thanks for your time.

I think it sounds pretty good overall. My biggest issue with it is the excessive verbage. Too many long lines and phrases. I was hoping "she's getting better" would stop there, but the lines kept coming. Just too many for my taste. Takes it along the lines of Billy Joel as opposed to modern pop.

The music is fine, although I'm sure there will be comments on the mix aspect. Nice job

Not bad. I think the bass and kick could come up, pretty much buried. Not a lot of separation of sound overall, kind of all blends together, makes it sound a little dated. You might try sonically carving out the instruments, eq, compression, etc.

Cute song. I agree the lower end isn't quite present enough. Around 2:20 - 2:23 it sounds like there's some overdriven vocals(?). I'd like the ending to be longer, it's a nice jam and some lead work over that as a fade out would be better than the tease you leave us with. ;)

Another poor girl in the "says" category! (Jane Says, Candy Says, etc).

Mix balance is pretty good, but I thought the mix sounded overly compressed/brittle.

I thought that the mix overall was much too bright. The vocals, guitars, cymbals are all extremely sizzly.

I liked the singer's voice otherwise.

The compression and limiting on things is a little extreme. It's gets a bit tough to listen to after a while.

THe drums are buried behind the vocals and guitars. To a lesser extent the bass is buried too.

I agree with the comments on the mix. So, I won't echo them. I just want to add this;
Great melody and vocal!

I see what Andrush is saying on it being pretty wordy, but it flows pretty well and nothing stood out to me as trying to force a long line in a short space.
Nice work!

I agree that it sounds a bit bright overall. Very crisp with a lot of mid - high end. It could really use more bass in the mix. The lower end is totally hiding. Catchy vocals though.

It does sound a bit bright to me (mid-rangey), and definitely some distortion on the vocal. Good lyrics, and the amount of lyrics are fine, I think. (Want to hear some good lyric cramming? Check out XTC's work). The song itself is nicely crafted. Maybe listen to the mix on a few different systems to check the bass response, though I'm certainly hearing it on my system.

Back