March Song

CrankyOne

Here's the latest of my "month" songs. It's got a few moods, but mainly a heavy metal type of song. It's an instrumental again. Not sure if it works as one, though.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1454&alid=-1

(It's only 128 kbps. My website provider finally noticed I have WAY more than 10 megs on my webspace, so I can't upload any more stuff there. That's why this is on nowhere again. I had to remove some old songs to make room for this ("Remember Tomorrow" and "Too Much"))

I'm running out the door right now, but I downloaded this and I'll give you the critical listen later on..

first impression is ass kickin' as usual! great drums!

I got dragged into a Valentines day horror show date type thing.. :(

Why won't they 'just leave me alone!' :D

Last edited:
my first listen...

loved the intro, and the verb on the excellent sounding drums.

great gtr sound too....the scandinavian AC/DC

sounds like it needs some soloing or vocals, but this is a GREAT music bed and kicks some booty.

oh...there's the solo. nice sound and good harmonies.

your mix at this point is very much "in your face" which is ok...but I really liked the "space" you created with the reverb in the beginning. Seemed more "high fidelity"...or better produced...for a lack of description. The rest of the mix is fine, but very bold and in your face. ...a very good quality, ..just telling you I liked the reverb in the beginning.

You must spend fair amounts of time on your stuff too. Seems fairly involved in many places to just "whip it out".

question...to you write as you record....as you go along...or what?

nice change towards the end of the 5+ min. area. ..and great organ like sounds and drums. boy...you've got the drum sound...best in the clinic, to me.

you're a verified rocker dude!

I'd love to try and whip some leads on this stuff sometime...but I think it would probably just suck...and take me month anyway:(

hehe, I quit hunting anything in your tunes about 3 tunes ago. I just kick back and absorb. Good vibes. You did bring everything forward more in this one, like sitting close to the stage in the hall, really cool.

the drum and guitar sound were both very professional sounding......thumbs up on that........great guitar tone.........and played very well might i add

interesting song.........nice metal sound........fits very well in the genre

mixmkr said:
my first listen...

loved the intro, and the verb on the excellent sounding drums.

great gtr sound too....the scandinavian AC/DC

sounds like it needs some soloing or vocals, but this is a GREAT music bed and kicks some booty.

oh...there's the solo. nice sound and good harmonies.

your mix at this point is very much "in your face" which is ok...but I really liked the "space" you created with the reverb in the beginning. Seemed more "high fidelity"...or better produced...for a lack of description. The rest of the mix is fine, but very bold and in your face. ...a very good quality, ..just telling you I liked the reverb in the beginning.

You must spend fair amounts of time on your stuff too. Seems fairly involved in many places to just "whip it out".

question...to you write as you record....as you go along...or what?

nice change towards the end of the 5+ min. area. ..and great organ like sounds and drums. boy...you've got the drum sound...best in the clinic, to me.

you're a verified rocker dude!

I'd love to try and whip some leads on this stuff sometime...but I think it would probably just suck...and take me month anyway:(

oh...your fade out lead was definately cool.. Best soloing I've heard from you.

I may have gone a little overboard with the in-your-face guitar sound. I guess it sounds too close to some :D I know you like your reverb. Usually I just dry out the mix when there's fast action going on so it doesn't get all mushy (not sure if that's the right word). And about your question, for this song I first had two riffs, then I went and made a few more. Usually I assemble a song from 'old' riffs, but every once in a wihle I come up with a few as I'm making the song too. And on rare occasions I just create the riffs as I write the song (like on December Song) so there's no 'get some old riffs to work with'-thing. Thanks for your comments :D I think this song may have had too much empty spots. I'm not sure... Oh, and about the fade out lead. I personally thought it was horrible :D I just wanted a fast idiotic solo that shows some speed but no melody :D And the pathetic thing is, even that one was done in a few pieces, so it's not just one take.

Toki987 said:
hehe, I quit hunting anything in your tunes about 3 tunes ago. I just kick back and absorb. Good vibes. You did bring everything forward more in this one, like sitting close to the stage in the hall, really cool.

Thanks. I hope this isn't too close :D

powderfinger said:
the drum and guitar sound were both very professional sounding......thumbs up on that........great guitar tone.........and played very well might i add

interesting song.........nice metal sound........fits very well in the genre

I was trying to get a different kick drum sound from my previous ones. I'm not sure if it was that different, but at the moment I like it. Usually my guitar sound is more like it's in the background but I end up EQ'ing it more upfront during the mixing. I guess it's because there's no vocals so the rhythm has to drive the song forward.

B.SABBATH said:
I'm running out the door right now, but I downloaded this and I'll give you the critical listen later on..

first impression is ass kickin' as usual! great drums!

I got dragged into a Valentines day horror show date type thing.. :(

Why won't they 'just leave me alone!' :D

Remember to be brutal. After all, I tried too :D

You kept me interested the whole 8:18 minutes. Good stuff. I'll keep my eye out for more. It could benefit from vocals - but you better do an awesome job with them.

I love the in your face guitar sound. It works.

Only criticism would be that it could use some more dynamic variation. It's not until about 5:40 that you really get some. However if you add vocals it may not matter.

Nice chops. Especially enjoyed your rhythm playing.

fprod south said:
You kept me interested the whole 8:18 minutes. Good stuff. I'll keep my eye out for more. It could benefit from vocals - but you better do an awesome job with them.

I love the in your face guitar sound. It works.

Only criticism would be that it could use some more dynamic variation. It's not until about 5:40 that you really get some. However if you add vocals it may not matter.

Nice chops. Especially enjoyed your rhythm playing.

Thanks :D I wish I could do vocals but I can't. I can't sing while there are people in the room (and there always is), and I'm not a good singer anyway... For now I'm doing instrumentals. Just maybe I could sing during summer, who knows... I know this song is missing some dynamics that are usually present in my other songs. I didn't want to do a similar song that I've done in the past (well, maybe this was still somewhat similar)... I guess I shouldn't worry things like that too much, though.

great drums! I wish I had the know how to get drums done as properly as that.. The sad part of it all is that I have sonar, but I just don't know how to use it. :( I just use it to add plug ins..

as always, a great tune.. It's really hard to find things to complain about with your stuff.. most things would be preference.. (as in, I prefer your sound!) :D

everything sounds great for the most part.. these are all real good tunes your writing.. most of them would be even better with vocals.. I really like the part @5:50! It sounds a bit different than your normal riffage.. more great drums stuff comes shortly after.. The guitar sounds better in this part for some reason.. I notice in the earlier parts of the tune when your were chunking, the guitar seemed like it was a bit too loud and killing some of the power of the drums..

bottom line, another well crafted and recorded metal instrumental.. it blows away anything of it's kind in the clinic, and I also agree with mix that your drums rule!

keep em coming!

Wow...some nice playing there man. Sounds damn tight. Guitar sounds great. Nothing constructive to add so I'll just be abou my own business now :D

Hmmm... had another thought. The guitar riffs starting around 5:00 or so had some organ behind them. I could almost hear them coming up a little bit an paralleling the guitar almost ala Kansas. My strange thought of the day :D.

Th rythym section sounds great for this type of music. Good stuff and tight playing. Nice sound all round. I'm not to convinced about the solo guit. tone though. It doesn't mesh with the rest of the groove.

O.K. second solo tone is a little low but tone wise it fits much better.

Joe

Back