The march to the next release - final mixes - Song 1

K-dub

Song 1 - Happens Every Time

With most of the songs now settled, the new album must be mixed to have a sonic consistency. Accordingly, all the disparate tracks must be remixed with a certain homogeneity in mind ... making sure that there is a commonality from track to track in the sonic signature.

This is actually my favorite time of production ... in the sense that the creative part ... the performance and arrangements and tracking are mostly behind me, and so I can roll up the sleeves and knuckle down on tweaking the mixes prior to having them go to mastering.

This is the first song on the album to receive a full remix (I do them sequentially in order) ... and I'll probably be posting more frequently as they roll off the production line toward completion of the album project. Please have patience should I fill the board temporarily with a bunch of stuff all at once -- for it is simply a concentrated push towards release and will be very temporary.

What I'm looking for here mostly is mix/production comments ... should I have gone fubar on something. If everything sounds fine to you, please just jump in and say so. All help is warmly welcome, for you folks are my other ears, and I rely on your thoughts.

I've no sacred cows, and appreciate any/all comments.

Thanks!

Kev-

Last edited:
Really good song and tones. The only thing that jumped out at me was there is too much splash and sizzle on the crash cymbals. Fantastic job IMO

Really good song and tones. The only thing that jumped out at me was there is too much splash and sizzle on the crash cymbals. Fantastic job IMO
Thanks Jimi! That is EXACTLY what I asked for comments on.

The sheen is the "polishing" plug I used. I backed it off on the new mix above. Good catch. I went back to listen and you were right. Thanks again.

Some of the drum parts are too hard panned - it's kind of OK with the toms but less so with the cymbals - just a little unnatural for both.
The cymbal on the L is a bit harsh too.
Good stuff otehrwise - a touch of the Ox on the bass runs.

Some of the drum parts are too hard panned - it's kind of OK with the toms but less so with the cymbals - just a little unnatural for both.
The cymbal on the L is a bit harsh too.
Good stuff otehrwise - a touch of the Ox on the bass runs.

Which song, bud? Orayo?

Okay -- I thought so, but wanted to be sure.

I'll soften them ... thanks for the mention, Ray!

Hey Kev, Happens Every Time: maybe just a *touch* less room/space on the guitar? It's a distinctive sound but it sorta sounds like it's in a different space from the rest of the mix. Part of it's the panning of the two tracks. The rest sounds pretty good to these ears.

Hi, i listened the Song 1 - Happens Every Time and in my opinion the cymbals sound a little harsh, the guitar a little treblish, the back vocals could be more audible and defined but
nice overall mix overall, nice stereo image! Keep on the good work!

Song 1

The kick I can barely hear at all. Maybe give the bass a little bit more of a cut through. When I listen at lower levels, it disappears almost completely. If you can get the transients to jump out just a bit, it would be easier too hear.
Cymbal could be a little bit less harsh, snare could use more power if you ask me.

The rest of the instruments and the singing sounds great! Love the guitar tones.

Song 2

I'm not a huge fan of the kick sound on this one either. The toms panned far out are a bit distracting. Cymbal is a bit fizzy again.

Nice bass tone. I think that the first song could use a sound more like this. Just a tad more mids, it doesn't even have to cut through the way it does in song 2. Good guitar tones again.

Song 3

Still not a huge fan of the panned toms. I know that it's fun to do and it sounds like you're sitting behind the drum set but a drum kit is essentially a mono instrument for the listener.

Good voice, guitar tones are nice.

Hey Kev, Happens Every Time: maybe just a *touch* less room/space on the guitar? It's a distinctive sound but it sorta sounds like it's in a different space from the rest of the mix. Part of it's the panning of the two tracks. The rest sounds pretty good to these ears.

Thanks, P. I'll try to tighten them up a little bit. Good thoughts.

Hi, i listened the Song 1 - Happens Every Time and in my opinion the cymbals sound a little harsh, the guitar a little treblish, the back vocals could be more audible and defined but
nice overall mix overall, nice stereo image! Keep on the good work!

... and still the cymbals are harsh ... even as I cut back on the high end. Thanks for the mention. I'll also add a little more cream to the gits ... and I'll tweak the backgrounds a hair. Thanks for the extra set of ears!

Song 1

The kick I can barely hear at all. Maybe give the bass a little bit more of a cut through. When I listen at lower levels, it disappears almost completely. If you can get the transients to jump out just a bit, it would be easier too hear.
Cymbal could be a little bit less harsh, snare could use more power if you ask me.

The rest of the instruments and the singing sounds great! Love the guitar tones.

Song 2

I'm not a huge fan of the kick sound on this one either. The toms panned far out are a bit distracting. Cymbal is a bit fizzy again.

Nice bass tone. I think that the first song could use a sound more like this. Just a tad more mids, it doesn't even have to cut through the way it does in song 2. Good guitar tones again.

Song 3

Still not a huge fan of the panned toms. I know that it's fun to do and it sounds like you're sitting behind the drum set but a drum kit is essentially a mono instrument for the listener.

Good voice, guitar tones are nice.

Thanks so much for the great comments on each tune! Really appreciated. I LOVE hard panned toms ... but I could bring them a little more center and "meet more in the middle". :)

I know I'm down to "tweak" levels, but all the comments really help. Thanks again.

Okay ... I've attended to all suggestions made on each of the three ... room sound down, more meat on gits on Happens ... pulled back on the cymbal harshness (completely got rid of the offending chinese splash) on Orao, and more centered the toms on all three ... they still come "across the top" but instead of 100 too 100 range of field, I kept them in the middle at 50-50 spectrum. All good suggestions ... all taken.

I think the first three are complete now ... agreed?

Thanks again!

K-

Last edited:
Back