March

Bulls Hit

Seems to take me longer and longer to finish anything these days.
This one has been off and on for nearly 2 months.
I think it's finished, but maybe could use some fiddly bits for more interest?
Any thoughts welcome...

Nice big drum sound real? VI? perfect snare sound for the track.. I like the verb-mix is pretty big in the bottom in general-sounds like a lot of sub 100hz stuff going on. I can hear that this should be thick sounding but i think you could roll out some super lows without hurting the mix too much... That sound starting around :20 is interesting, a little disorienting rythmically---what is it?? You going to add a vocal part or is this an instrumental jam? Real mean beefy sound you're getting, i could imagine a video in a steel plant with molten metal and sparks or cars getting crushed or something. Reminds me of some of the flaming lips more experimental stuff...cool sounds.

Yeh the drums are real. I was going for Bonham-type beefiness so tried to hit them as hard as I could.
That guitar at .20 is a preset on the Pitchfactor pedal. I think it's a combination of an arpeggiator and pitchshifter, and probably some modulation thrown in as well. Thanks for the feedback, I'l take a look at that low end rumble too

Interesting jam. Timing seems uncertain here and there. Guitar tones are cool. Personally, I would add a high pass on that kick, set suitably low to leave the girth intact but filter out sub-audible noise. Vocals are coming I hope.

I was going for Bonham-type beefiness

Nice.

Agree with Robus the really low end could use a filter. I kind of loved this. It's bizarre yet never boring, and proggy/advant-garde without any pretension. Nice piece, Bull.

Bulls,
I love the rhythm section and the beefiness.
The guitar for the 1st 50 seconds or so is too inconsistent across the beat - nothing that I could get a handle on - sometimes before sometimes after and occasionally on.
I love the noise attack of the treatments on guitar. Your stuff is always muscular.

Cool as always.

Guitars and synths sound huge.

The low end - both kick and bass - are pretty rumbly. I'd roll some low end off.

It's limited a bit hard. I'm hearing a little distortion in short spots.

But mostly, it's HUGE.

The low end - both kick and bass - are pretty rumbly. I'd roll some low end off.

Guitars too. Section at 1:50 has a lot going on down there. I'd just clean that all up a bit. Nice work, good sounds. Oh, and I agree that pedal is throwing the rhythm off a touch. Disorienting was a good word that Ray used.

Wow, interesting. This one definitely punched my right in the face, in a good way. I agree with the low-end comments, could probably roll a little off and not hurt the sound at all. A few minor timing issues, but nothing major. Most of them seemed to happen early in the song, like within the first minute. Lots of reverb, but sounds great, tastefully done. Drums sound killer.

Think it's missing a crazy cool wah solo somewhere :guitar:

Cool jam and vibe dude, I dig it. Someone said "muscular". Completely fitting.

rayc - Heh I could defend myself and call the inconsistency 'tension'. Fact is the the way this particular pedal effect cycles around doesn't seem to pay any attention to the timing of the chords being played. It's kinda chaotic but I quite like the discontinuity between the rythym and the pedal and occasionally(!) it comes right :) Thanks for the listen

JDOD - thanks for checking it out

TripleM - Yeh I have to have a look at the low end. I didn't limit it too hard but I did run the drums through a limter and the mix is relatively hot and yes I'm addicted to distortion. One day I plan to get help :) Cheers man

andrushkiwt - The pedal is pretty much baked in but yes I think I forgot to high pass some of the guitars. Thanks for the listen

JohnnyAmato - Thanks for the kind words. Yes I was thinking about a wah breakdown, I might have a look at that but sometimes when it's done its done

Love the bass drum and snare sound on this. This thing struts with a big butt.

There is wash or graininess on the crash cymbals. Not sure if it's phase or mp3 conversion or if you've got compression hitting them weird. Multiple things can cause that.

Cool tune man!
I see what others are saying about the guitar not being in Perfect time but I think it sounds very cool as is. Too much precision and eq tweaking can rob the groove of power and feeling in my opinion. Don't get it too sterile and lifeless.
I like it a lot!

If the tune said everything you wanted it to say, it's done :) Ya know? On to the next one :)

Yes I agree with you but for some reason I went back and fudged with this one again. I was actually going to post the remix in a new thread when I saw this one come back...

Love the bass drum and snare sound on this. This thing struts with a big butt.

There is wash or graininess on the crash cymbals. Not sure if it's phase or mp3 conversion or if you've got compression hitting them weird. Multiple things can cause that.

Yeah the wash is from compression. I wanted the crashy stuff to sound ...washy. I've done a remix as I think the snare got too intrusive and rebalanced some things. Thanks for the comments

Cool tune man!
I see what others are saying about the guitar not being in Perfect time but I think it sounds very cool as is. Too much precision and eq tweaking can rob the groove of power and feeling in my opinion. Don't get it too sterile and lifeless.
I like it a lot!

Thanks jimi. Yeah the intro guitar was a bit sloppy so I've tightened it up. I agree the groove is the main thing. Always room for improvement though :)
Remix below

Back