Manslick -Rusty Bullets

Nice song. Singing was nice and the clean electric guitar accents were nice.

I think the acoustic is a bit too present in the mix and has a lot of 2500hz - 5000hz octave.

The vocal sounds dryer than everything else and sound like it's in a different space.

I don't think the heavy kick is doing the song any good. The low-heavy bass isn't either.

Some tempo issues in spots. A couple in the intro.

Nice tune-The opening guitar riff is a bit awkward, sounds punched in, and is louder than the remaining guitar. Once the tune gets going the guitar sounds good. Vocal mix is good. Kind or weird to me not having the bass for the first half of the song, though that's not mix related...Some of the drum sounds seem strange to me-the muted ride cymbal pinging-i hear some other special effects type sounds-again not mix related. I think your mix is fine, i just find some of the arrangement and sound choices a bit unusual and distracting. Lyrics are depressing but it's a well written song!

The kick at the the start seems out of place. I agree its strange when the bass comes in. Also agree the muted ride is weird. The synth note at the end hangs on too long, and that intro guitar (few notes) definitely too loud.

Good writing, just think this would benefit from a more 'conventional' arrangement.

The opening guitar riff is a bit awkward, sounds punched in, and is louder than the remaining guitar.

That's the first thing I noticed too.

Around 1:13, when the vocal switches to the "working man" line, the noise floor shoots way up. Did you track that vocal differently? Same with "shut up" around 1:50. (Also... is this a "Mommy Said" rewrite?)

I think the synth is a good touch. Seems like it's going for a steel guitar vibe but sounds more like a theremin. (Good choice. Theremins are great. Steel's suck)

Nice tune-The opening guitar riff is a bit awkward, sounds punched in, and is louder than the remaining guitar. Once the tune gets going the guitar sounds good. Vocal mix is good. Kind or weird to me not having the bass for the first half of the song, though that's not mix related...Some of the drum sounds seem strange to me-the muted ride cymbal pinging-i hear some other special effects type sounds-again not mix related. I think your mix is fine, i just find some of the arrangement and sound choices a bit unusual and distracting. Lyrics are depressing but it's a well written song!
Hey strat - thanks for the comments.

Yes that opening riff got away from me and I just never redid it. Part of it is a left over from the count in track so it is rough there I admit.
Since this is such a simple song form I thought the repeated AB structure was unbearable if you're not a word guy.
So my beginnings of some variations began with the drums.
I got bored of that, so on Saturday I said WTH and tracked some real drums.
I liked that better but I suck so bad at drumming I just quantized it all.
And the ride was so bad in the overheads I gated it pretty bad too.
I'm glad you think the lyrics are depressing - that's what I care about the most.

The kick at the the start seems out of place. I agree its strange when the bass comes in. Also agree the muted ride is weird. The synth note at the end hangs on too long, and that intro guitar (few notes) definitely too loud.

Good writing, just think this would benefit from a more 'conventional' arrangement.

Thanks for the feedback mjbphotos.

Where would you bring in the bass?

Really, I need advice on how to make this not so boring.

Only Dylan can pull that off.

That's the first thing I noticed too.

Around 1:13, when the vocal switches to the "working man" line, the noise floor shoots way up. Did you track that vocal differently? Same with "shut up" around 1:50. (Also... is this a "Mommy Said" rewrite?)

I think the synth is a good touch. Seems like it's going for a steel guitar vibe but sounds more like a theremin. (Good choice. Theremins are great. Steel's suck)

Hey VHS - appreciate the comments.

Hmm noise floor. Maybe my compressor let go too soon. IDK. The vocal is one take. Are you hearing my furnace roaring? Damn that thing!

Yeah that is a Mommy Said reference. Thanks for noticing.

Trying to un-bore the song I found the theremin patch and I did think it favored a steel guitar sound. So I spent about ten minutes adding notes to the piano roll.

Hmm noise floor. Maybe my compressor let go too soon. IDK. The vocal is one take. Are you hearing my furnace roaring? Damn that thing!
Oh! It's the ride. Between the vocal inflection changing and the ride coming in, it just sounds noisier.

It has that MOR feel. To make it "less boring" as you called it, you'd have to stray from that MOR formula. Use some unique sounds, rhythms, etc. The mix sounds pretty good. The acoustic is a little bright and thin, drums are thin and the programming sounds like an after thought. The vocal is nice. Since it's the best part, I'd highlight that and ditch the programmed drums and put in some unique percussion. Do it by hand maybe. Or if you're good at bass let that carry the rhythm section and ditch percussion all together (ala Van Morrison on Astral Weeks where the bass drives the rhythm). That kind of arrangement would make it more interesting for sure.

On my setup, the kick was very clicky, I wasn't getting much bottom-end roundness to the mix. I agree something is awkward during the opening. No probs with the acoustic tone or snare, or the vocals for that matter.

It has that MOR feel. To make it "less boring" as you called it, you'd have to stray from that MOR formula. Use some unique sounds, rhythms, etc. The mix sounds pretty good. The acoustic is a little bright and thin, drums are thin and the programming sounds like an after thought. The vocal is nice. Since it's the best part, I'd highlight that and ditch the programmed drums and put in some unique percussion. Do it by hand maybe. Or if you're good at bass let that carry the rhythm section and ditch percussion all together (ala Van Morrison on Astral Weeks where the bass drives the rhythm). That kind of arrangement would make it more interesting for sure.

Hey Nola. Thanks

I don't know what that MOR feel means.
Yeah I thought about single tracking some drum parts. I might do this over the weekend.

Appreciate the listen and comments.

On my setup, the kick was very clicky, I wasn't getting much bottom-end roundness to the mix. I agree something is awkward during the opening. No probs with the acoustic tone or snare, or the vocals for that matter.

Thanks for commenting andrushkiwt.

I moved my mics to a different room yesterday to re-track the into. I think it's tighter now, but I like a lot of the original traking so now I have to decide what to cull. And the tone from the new room is different too.
Much pondering to do.

Back