Lullabye (For End Times)

GoetzManor

So this is the first track I really sat down and tried to do right from start to finish. How does it sound? My room is not treated and I'm just looking for some advice on what can be improved. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Lullabye.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
I'd try cutting a bit more low end or low mids from the guitar. Close your eyes and imagine you're listening to a singer holding that guitar and singing - the guitar sounds a bit too big for the singer, right? That's why I'd cut a bit of the low stuff on the guitar. It'll make it sound slightly smaller and fit the vocal better.

How come you didn't pan anything? Why not pan the vocal and guitar 15 right and left?

I echo the comments that Dobro made.

I can hear two voices going. You double-tracked yourself? You don't need to. Your voice is good enough without doing this.

The song is very repetitive and doesn't lead me anywhere. There are some weird notes in there, where the vocal sits very uneasily with the chords (especially on "we all fade away").

The lead guitar is an aimless doodle and doesn't add anything to the song.

Rhythm guitar has no brightness to it, and as gecko said, the lead guitar doesn't add anything at all. Was this all 1-mic tracked - rhythm guitar plus voice one track and lead guitar plus low backup vocal 2nd track?

I like the song..has potential....just need to make it more ear candy for your listeners. Pan that guitar and maybe do a second guitar track panned the opposite. You have a good voice.

Pros: Great voice. Decent lyrics and catchy.
Cons: Awkward gap in the middle (almost shut it off). Solo is too loud and sounds like it's in another key (doesn't fit very well sonically). All the vocal lines sound like the same CGAF over and over.
Definitely has potential. Practice, work out some variations on the vocals, think about a rewrite on the solo.

Thanks for all the input! It really helps me out.

How come you didn't pan anything? Why not pan the vocal and guitar 15 right and left?

Since I double tracked everything, my vocal sits in the middle and each guitar track is set to 19 each way I believe except for the lead which is 5 to the left.

Was this all 1-mic tracked - rhythm guitar plus voice one track and lead guitar plus low backup vocal 2nd track?

It was all tracked individually. Each "instrument" had its own track.

just need to make it more ear candy for your listeners.

Does it need something else or a different kind of mix? I've heard that the guitar sounds dull so maybe an exciter added to them? Should I add shakers for a little percussion?

I can hear two voices going. You double-tracked yourself? You don't need to. Your voice is good enough without doing this.

So should I completely remove the second vocal from the track or just sit it lower in the mix?

Thanks again for all the help I've gotten! I'll definitely take out the lead part though.

I agree that your singing voice is good. A pitchy note here and there.

In addition to what others said about the guitar, it also sounds a bit out of tune.

Some crackling around 1:32 - 1:34. Some more a little bit later.

Something weird at about 2:09. maybe a bad edit?

In addition to what others said about the guitar, it also sounds a bit out of tune.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the tuning after each take, but maybe the intonation is off. My guitar is also tuned to Eb because it tends to work better with my voice.

The solo was a mere noodle that I added to the track to kind of "shake things up" a little bit, but I really didn't give it much thought. I can see how that affects the song as a whole.

I was going for an "Old Shoes and Picture Postcards" vibe. Guess the I missed the mark on that one :facepalm:

Sounds like the intonation is off on the acoustic. I would mix the double tracking on the acoustic a bit lower. Keep the better take up louder. I don't mind the doubled vocal. The guitar could use some EQ. It sounds a bit harsh to me. Seems like the guitar itself may be a pretty bright acoustic. I would cut some highs or just see how a lower mix of a doubled track may help.

What did you record the song with console/microphone wise?

The guitar could use some EQ. It sounds a bit harsh to me. Seems like the guitar itself may be a pretty bright acoustic.

Does it need drastic EQ or just some problem frequencies? The guitar is a Kasuga from the 80s. It was a salvage from a hoarding house. I was gonna make it an experimental guitar but used it to record this song anyway.

What did you record the song with console/microphone wise?

I used an MXL 991 into the Alesis FireWire console, which then recorded into Cubase. I have a very beginner set up.

Does it need drastic EQ or just some problem frequencies? The guitar is a Kasuga from the 80s. It was a salvage from a hoarding house. I was gonna make it an experimental guitar but used it to record this song anyway.

I used an MXL 991 into the Alesis FireWire console, which then recorded into Cubase. I have a very beginner set up.

FOr me personally, I would just take away some of the highs and roll with the sound you have in the lows and mids since it is just acoustic. The vocal is nice and will work the mids and highs. You could mix in some reverb on the acoustic to blend it a bit to mellow it out. It all depends on what you are going for. I tend to like a more mellow sound on a song like this.

Back