The lost art of living

That mic is well back. Is that a J12?

It's the Jet J12 T reissue. Got it at the pawn shop for $200 back when there were still pawn shops around. The mic is about 2 feet away angled down to meet the angle of the amp which is angled up. I use the tremolo and verb on the amp. I've played around with it a lot over the years and generally I don't like it up on the grille, but I do get a lot of comments that there is way too much room and way too much reverb :-)

Hey Rob - great suggestion!!! - I posted a new mix up top. I had totally forgotten that the ba ba ba stuff WAS a placeholder. So I hauled out the pumpkin gretsch and ampeg and had my way with it. Doubled the guitar line up an octave and panned slightly left and right. Tweaked the piano, panning, vocal levels, string levels and it is starting to dial in. Couldn't get a substantially better vocal take so I said screw it. It is what it is. I can live with it and it's time to move on :-)

Yes! Love the guitar on the new version, and how the ba ba's now just come in at the end. Excellent :thumbs up:

Oh man. I absolutely love this new, 04/02 version!

The vocals sit much better now...the strings, piano and brushes all sound sweet, and that new guitar part really ties everything together and gives it a whole new focal point. You still have a raw sound here, but it has a little more polish which I think it needed.

You may know I have a '60's reverberocket that looks almost exactly like your amp. They have the best reverb/tremolo and are perfect for the sort of stuff you do. I may try a mic father back like that. I always just jam it right up in the grill, but I like the sound you got here a lot.

Really nice remix. Thanks for posting it.

Oh man. I absolutely love this new, 04/02 version!

The vocals sit much better now...the strings, piano and brushes all sound sweet, and that new guitar part really ties everything together and gives it a whole new focal point. You still have a raw sound here, but it has a little more polish which I think it needed.

You may know I have a '60's reverberocket that looks almost exactly like your amp. They have the best reverb/tremolo and are perfect for the sort of stuff you do. I may try a mic father back like that. I always just jam it right up in the grill, but I like the sound you got here a lot.

Really nice remix. Thanks for posting it.

Cool, thanks for checking it out again! I remember that you have a reverbrocket, and yeah - I love the reverb and tremolo on the old amps. I go nuts for it (obviously :-). The one thing I can't believe I didn't do was bend that bottom note with the wammy though, huge missed opportunity...

I definitely never liked the mic in the grill thing, but I have odd tastes - I love lots of room, and now I finally have a good size one!

I'm glad you kept at least one set of bababas. I really liked them, but the trem guitar sounds great. It could probably even come down a hair.
Did you do some eq work or something on your vocal? It sounds a little more crisp in the new mix.

Mix is good - I'd maybe take the tremolo guitar down a touch but other than that it sounds very good.
The melody is very cool, the jump from low to high is a popular modern style. I'm thinking Coldplay etc.
Your upper vocal part is great. If that is your max range then I would keep that intact and work on the lower part i.e. rewrite it so it doesn't go as low (not the music just the melody). I know - that's the way you wrote it - but if you're looking for a smooth transition between low and high section then work with what you have vocally. Your great writing skills are such that I believe you could revise this and it would still be as melodic - just different.
Great song !

I'm glad you kept at least one set of bababas. I really liked them, but the trem guitar sounds great. It could probably even come down a hair.
Did you do some eq work or something on your vocal? It sounds a little more crisp in the new mix.

:-) I did play with the EQ on the vocal, both the loud and the soft parts. I am thinking I have a lot of comb filtering going on with the the vocals. Anyway - I was trying to get rid of the boxy sound and weirdness, and also the clicks and stuff in my throat and realize I went way too far with the eq on the last version. I made the cuts a little less drastic and that seemed to help the body and intelligibility a bit.

I think I might bring that guitar down near a db after a couple car listens.

Mix is good - I'd maybe take the tremolo guitar down a touch but other than that it sounds very good.
The melody is very cool, the jump from low to high is a popular modern style. I'm thinking Coldplay etc.
Your upper vocal part is great. If that is your max range then I would keep that intact and work on the lower part i.e. rewrite it so it doesn't go as low (not the music just the melody). I know - that's the way you wrote it - but if you're looking for a smooth transition between low and high section then work with what you have vocally. Your great writing skills are such that I believe you could revise this and it would still be as melodic - just different.
Great song !

Thanks ido. I am going to do some more car listens to see how I could approach the lower part differently. Probably set this aside for a bit and try and get another track going :-)

This is nice!

I didn't read the posts, so I'm not sure what's suggested, but I fee like the vocal is a little pushed back. It might help a bit to roll off a little low end there and give it a boost.

Vocal can be a bit funky on the lower registers. You can always get "Waves Tune" or Autotune...to help tighten that up.

Cool stuff though!

Back