Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking Out On Mackinaw with Nick and Dave.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Thanks Steve. I've missed seeing you as much around here. The vocal chain consists of ReaEQ with broad reduction in the lower mids, followed by a couple of stages of compression using ReaComp. I can go in and do some detail editing to reduce the smacks and whatnot. Maybe some manual leveling to address inconsistencies like the one you mention. This has been a difficult vocal track to process, partly down to it being our first song together and working out issues relating to room, mic, etc.
    I'm around, just too busy to check as many threads as I normally do!

Those sibilants do sound hard to tame. The vocal is definitely better-edited this time tho.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We don't yet have a name for our project. Any suggestions?
    Little Robus Band?
    Support your local songster.... The Jongleurs "Absence" now on CDBaby. Baby.

Thanks
    "just gave out" has a vocal gain jump. I love the "for starers" section about halfway through, it sounds really really good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andrushkiwt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    New mix in the OP. I'm trying out a different treatment on the lead vocal. New and simpler chain, with just one stage of EQ and compression. Also trying out a new compressor. I've cut less in the low mids, so this vocal should be darker but more natural sounding. If anyone cares to compare the vocal on the two mixes in the OP, that would be great!

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Little late again to this one, been really busy over here. I think the new version vocals are better actually. They weren't bad to begin with, but the newer version they seem smoother, and fit a little better in the mix. Awesome tones as always. Super clean, nice chords- I love that open Fsus2 chord at the end with the open G on top of it, always liked that chord.

Great recording, sounds very professional, and inspiring for me to try to get my mixes to sound this good and clean.
    Pro Tools 12.7 - Superior Drummer 2.0 - Sound Forge Pro 10

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyAmato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys. The previous version just sounded too processed and clangy to me, so I stripped all the plugins off the lead vocal and rebuilt from scratch. I'm hoping the compression is sounding more natural. I'll give a listen over the next few days and see if I can brighten the vocal a little bit without diminishing that natural feel.

Hey Johnny, that chord always reminds me of "Talk of the Town" by the Pretenders. That was the shizzle when I was in college, back when pop was fun!

Thanks
    Those "whoa"s sound great. "Parted" at 1:06 is too loud, at least a syllable anyway. De-essing is much better here, applied very nicely. I've been using the following settings for de-essing, and it works for me across nearly all my tracks aside from adjusting the release slightly...

20:1, 5.8khz-12.5khz, 0.1 A, 2ms R.

What is your guitar bus EQ? Where do you HP/LP at, Ray? I think the last vocal section could be a touch louder, particularly the lines before "looking out on...". It's just that dramatic finish and I'd let the vocals grab more attention there. Right now, they're a little low.

Drums/bass sounding great. Nice groove/pumping going on. They drive the song well. How many songs are you trying to put together? I'm aiming for 8. Glad you're in the same boat as me with working on a release...it works out well to be able to lean on each other for ears. Now, if this moving goes well tonight/tomorrow, I should be setup and back at it by Monday.

Sorry to detract. This is sounding very good man.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to andrushkiwt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Taras. I would like to have about 14 songs on the album. We are going to have to call a limit at some point. Other stuff in the queue will just have to get bumped back to a second project to follow.

Listening again, I can tell there is still some leveling to do on the lead vocal within and between sections of the song. Thanks for the de-essing settings. I'm still doing that manually.

I don't EQ guitars, ever really, apart from a high pass on the guitar buss at 100hz. Otherwise all the tone adjustments happen in the tracking stage. Same with bass, no EQ ever, apart from a HP at 50hz.

Thanks
    ...apart from a high pass on the guitar buss at 100hz. Same with bass, no EQ ever, apart from a HP at 50hz.
    We're pretty close, just a touch lower for me. Usually 90-95 for guitars and 40-45 for bass. 14 is quite a bit. I'm interested in seeing the track listing, if you get around to it.

Thread Information