Looking for advise on my mix

CodyIsFromSpace

Wave Mason Cody
I was just looking for some opinions on the mix of this song that I've been working on. There's a lot going on in it so it may be tough. But also give me your opinion all around because there's way more needed in this tune than just mixing... So... There's 2 vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar parts, bass, drums, piano, native american flute, some hand drums, a few different types of sound FX (nature sounds & such)... the song is called Shift in Thought for the time being.

Attachments

• Shift in Thought 11 (New).mp3
    6.8 MB · Views: 22
There sure is a lot going on in it but that's not the main problem........IMO. The lead distortion guitar blasts all over the mix and really needs some work. Note.....when that guitar drops out.......the mix is not too bad really. Could use some overall brightness but not bad. You might need to rethink the EQ of that guitar track. As a small note.......the vocal seems to be panned slightly and that seems to somehow affect the overall "balance" of the project. Annoying but not critical. Bottom line.....IMO only.....a little work and you may have a hidden gem in there somewhere.

Are you going for something like the Tool sound here? If not, you probably need to bring the vox up a bit; they're pretty buried.
If you are going for the tool sound, you should probably automate the volume on the vox a bit more. During the louder parts, they get even more buried.

The distortion on the one guitar isn't necessarily bad; it just doesn't fit well with the piano. The guitar is pushing the tone of the song towards heavy metal, and the piano pushes it towards jazzy prog. It creates a lot of weird dissonance. I might lose the piano, and add more distorted guits to fill in the gap.

I like the contrast between the heavy guitar-driven parts and the lighter folk-instrument parts.

You've got a very complex mix here, so obviously it's going to take a lot of work, but I can see the potential in it.

It is neat sounding. A lot going on. The mix just isn't well balanced. It isn't one thing, it is an over all thing. It is a cool sounding tune but could benefit from some mix work.

Try it in mono 1st everything up the middle & fiddle until it sounds right
THEN pan things out to where they have their own space in the stereo image.
It's not a golden rule but it's a useful rule when the track is as congested and stomped all over as this one.

Back