The Lonesome Boatman - new track and first collaboration.

I think the song is well put together. It builds nicely. Programmed sounds are nice. Whistle/recorder sounded nice - a slightly flat note or two.

The acoustic guitar sounds a bit tinny. It gets buried by the programmed sounds.

I think overall it is a very good song. I agree with TripM, acoustic should come up and help balance out the electronic part. Get some of the organic to support the electronic.

Good tune, overall nice mix.

So this is a traditional Irish song then?

+1 on the flutes. The low notes get a little off-pitch.

Cool beat overall tho.

The concept is really nice. The "flute," I guess? Parts of that are too pitchy...it's distracting. It sounds like a flute is underwater and phased. I think that's an instrument that's hard to mix in general...it's pretty loud here. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more because of the pitch issues?

Yeah, I'd turn the acoustic up...I didn't notice it existed until the end.

The acoustic could use a bit of life, either raise the shelf at 2Khz+ or a couple notches of the higher frequencies. A touch of stereo chorus or stereo pan would help too, so it doesn't sit as stagnant in that one spot in the sound field (this is often used as an effect in modern mixes, to create some space, but rarely as a primary rhythm instrument for the entire length of a song). The flute on the other hand, even though it suffers a bit of the same fate, seems fine sitting there in the center since it's serving as the lead instrument.

The song is pleasant and well performed, but I don't know that it held my interest as an instrumental. It might benefit from having some changes written in, cut away some instruments and/or add some fresh instrumentation part of the way through. It kinda drones right now and doesn't feel like it arrives anywhere in particular.

Back