Locked In - Looking for Feedback

dmytrel

Hey all,

I'd love some feedback on this instrumental funk song.

I was using the Bassballs filter on the guitar, which I like but it cuts out a little bit. Also, drum machine... you know... anyone recommend a better sounding one?

Finally, this one was my first recording on my Tascam2488neo. Since then, I've been doing more with panning, but I get a lot of muddiness.

Also, this one is called Toon Mint - I actually like it better, it's a later recording so I hope I did a little bit better. Any ideas on how I might enhance the sound on it?

Cool groove.
The guitar sounds out of tune in spots. Claps are dry and loud (and some of the snare hits are a bit loud).
Other than that, the mix is very good.

Thank you for the feedback! Honestly I had to record that guitar track a million times, and the whammy bar outtuned it a bit. I hoped the bassballs effect kinda went in-line with the detune adding to it a little bit, but when the chords are going it's a bit easy to tell.

What do you think about the second track, Toon Mint? Do you think I mixed that one a little bit better? For me, it has more layers but whenever I do that, I end up getting some mud.

Much better stereoscape. Synths are all a bit dark (slightly muffled), like they're low-passed or have a high shelf that's cut. Try putting a 6K or 8K shelf on the synths and see if that helps. (or look for a low pass filter that might be on...)
I like the organ tone. Good bass playing.

Thank you! I think my issue is I love low bassy music, but I go overboard. I didn't put any low passes on. It's funny, because the Rhodes low-notes actually create a lot of the muffle. I wish I could get my Rhodes to sound like Herbie Hancock's, but I don't have the cash to throw out on a sweet amp for it.

I have other tracks which are also even more muffled.

Time to do some remixing!

Thanks so much for the tips!

Haha, I had 6 red bulls for breakfast! ;) Thank you, that is very high praise! I never know how people will react to my music, and when I listen to it all I hear is the should-haves and the shouldn't-haves. A bit of slop in there for sure.

I'm stoked someone out there likes it enough to post that.

So as a newbie/self-taught recording person, what do you mean parallel the drum machine?

Locked in was before I started messing with Panning. It makes a big difference though, definitely want to remix that sucka

I thought it was kind of a cool groove. It needs to go somewhere musically thought.

I'd roll just a small bit of low end off the bass to give it a little tighter sound.

The guitar was missing some upper end. So it sounded a little muffled.

Drums sounded decent. Snare was nice and tight. Fit the feel of the song well.

Thank you, that's great feedback. I agree about the guitar, I wish it was crisper. I think the baseballs filter takes off quite a bit of time, but I'm going to try for a remix. Thank you! Love the feedback!

Back