live in a "one man band"!

The multi-instrumentalist approach might be the way to do this.
I hang out with this guy - Professor Shyguy - who does the one-man band thing with tracks. He'll switch between guitar, keys, drums, and just vox from song to song to keep things interesting.

Now that is a good idea and would remain interesting as well. It also supports this isn't karaoke, the performer was the author of the performance, etc.

@MS, what about this idea? Food for thought.

@MS, what about this idea? Food for thought.

this is a very good idea and one that has crossed my mind a lot, but you have to understand my situation. I live in a van travelling town to town gig to gig, I can only travel with so much, the tracks i play to are in stereo....one '70s bass amp and '70s 15" bass speaker just for bass signal (L), and another (R) coming out of a powered speaker which is the organ/guitar/piano parts and stuff (not bass!) plus, even before I had the idea of drumming/singing for this, I always hated playing guitar on stage. I just like playing drums on stage, makes me feel more powerful surrounded by the speakers. i feel week without my 60s 5-piece blue drums and '70s zildjians. and I worried about the boring thing before, but the truth is I offset that by just hopefully picking more interesting songs. I've been in real non-one-man bands before and the audience was completely bored, and so was I because the music was just so rudimentary. I go for something a little more substantive, and the people who stick around to watch know I was playing the instruments. I just love playing drums in this one man band, i finally feel like I playing in a band it's so weird. I still have to listen and practice it like a band. here's a couple of tracks I played live last night at my show and the week before. check 'em out you might really dig the sound there!

featuring the 1976 Octave cat synth as the bass:

Last edited:
You could always drum with your arms and sticks in the air like Tommy Aldridge. I always loved watching him live!

lol. I got to attempt a very fun song "nice nice very nice" by Ambrosia (1975) and I swear I went through maybe 20 keyboard players, none of them could play the damn song. so i finally just plugged my hammond into my cassette deck and just played/record it myself. at least I don't have to drag a damn hammond around now to get that great T224 sound. my hope too is that I can hook up with some kayboardists who like like to play proggy /jazzier music like this and eventually write stuff like that, very psychedelic. maybe you never heard it, it's from their frst album in '1975 and it's just a trip,I love playing this song

Unique! Great! I think you are awesome! Had a friend we called 1 man band George... He had a drum machine with sensors on his Gibson 335 pickguard. He could tap different things and get rolls & symbols etc. It didn't sound mechanical at all. Just saw another guy last week who programmed much sound including bass in a keyboard and played guitar & sang along.... Now he is the best I've ever seen and has been on the Tonight show as he plays 2 trumpets at one time... Oh God you should hear him do Johnny Cash Ring of fire... It really blows you away with those twin trumpets.. Then the next song is a Pink Floyd.. Go figure as he must be in his 60's. Great entertainment... You've got the sounds, GO FOR IT!

Back