Live Demo cleanup - mix suggestions?

Buckeyeslide

Hi,
I have a rough mix of a live demo that I would like to try to clean up. There obviously should have been more up-front thought on the recording set up, but now I have what I have (along with a dozen more like it). The song is recorded with a single LDC condenser (AT 4033a) centered about chin level, with the 2 performers angled toward it bluegrass style. There are also 2 Rode pencil condensers set up XY stereo about 8 feet or so in front of the performers. So there is one mono audio track, and one stereo track. With all instruments/vocals combined. That is all.

The room is very lively (boomy)...rectangular shape and wood all around.

I did some basic EQ to clean up some boom and shrill, a tad compression to balance it.

I have the AT 4033a mixed slightly louder than the Rode stereo pair, as the Rodes pick up quite a bit of room boom/shrill.

I tried going to just the AT 4033a (mono / single track) but not sure that gives me better results.

Anyhow, looking for any suggestions on obvious things you guys hear that might be improved, mix wise. I'm under no illusions here...I am probably limited on options...but want to make the most of what I have. As importantly, would like to apply any key suggestions to the other tracks which were recorded in same setup.

View attachment Luna Pescado.mp3

Thanks very much!
Buckeyeslide

I think it sounds pretty damn good man. Maybe add a tinge of a small plate verb though is an intimate performance so may be fine as it is. Personal taste there.

Sounds good.

I keep hearing one little odd delay on the first couple words. Was it a case of the singer not being on the center mic and picking up something from the outside ones? Maybe do a tiny shift to get that little delay out?

I mean, you can EQ a bit and compress a bit, but very good recording. Go real light on the reverb if you add it, and give it a bit of pre-delay so things don't feel more distant would be my suggestion.

Thanks guys, this is helpful. Yeah, i think the singer moved around a bit and the xy speakers picked up what the center LCD missed. I appreciate the input here!

Regards
Buckeyeslide

I'd try to get that XY pair track and center one aligned better because it might be introducing some phase issues besides the audible delay.

At the least, you might try automating the volume on that vocal part where it bugs me so the center is brought up and the XY down to eliminate the delay effect. It's not everywhere, so maybe it's Ok, though I don't know what the relative levels are. To me, because it's the very first words, it just detracts, but I can be picky about things that don't bother anyone else... (My friend calls me a "stickler for details" but others have another adjective I believe ;))

I'd try to get that XY pair track and center one aligned better because it might be introducing some phase issues besides the audible delay.

At the least, you might try automating the volume on that vocal part where it bugs me so the center is brought up and the XY down to eliminate the delay effect. It's not everywhere, so maybe it's Ok, though I don't know what the relative levels are. To me, because it's the very first words, it just detracts, but I can be picky about things that don't bother anyone else... (My friend calls me a "stickler for details" but others have another adjective I believe ;))

HAHA! Story of my life....

Oh and my last name is 'Strickler'...

This sounds pretty good to begin with. The only thing that's not really working for me is that the boxiness of the room is very audible in the vocal.

You could try some reverb volume automation (or maybe side-chain compression) as folks have suggested. It probably won't hurt, but I would go in prepared to throw out any fancy processing as just messing things up.

Back