A little metal medley for your listening pleasure

It's very well played - a bit "darker" tone - wise than the last metal track I heard. I'm not an expert so I'll pass on trying to determine which is better. This harkens back to the 70's when players could play. The drums are probably not real but the guitars make up for it.
Good vocals and bass to boot so I'm a happy guy.

On a side note - 9 posts since Oct 2010 ? You need to post more links!

The tone is dark...almost muddy. I would cut a little around the 250hz area. The kick drum consumes almost all of the mid high register and it's treble is overpowering the cymbals and hats. The dirty vocals lack depth and the clean vocals seem a tad off time. Overall it doesn't sound bad...but it just doesn't sound that good either. Keep on working on it. Listen to other music and do some comparisons.

Thanks for the kind words 1957, and your correct. The drums are loops, unfortunately they are all I can use at the moment. Murder, I appreciate the criticism. I noticed similar with the darker tone through my monitors but through my seiheiser headphones they sounded a bit trebly, so I thought I was in a happy middle. I will drop a bit in the 250hz area and see how that goes. I may play a bit in the treble registers as well and see how that sounds. As far as the drums, well frankly I hate them but like I said there all I have at the moment, but i'll work on the eq'ing a bit and see if that helps. The vocals are still trial and error with my limited experience. Any help in that area to make them more in the mix, thicker etc. would also be appreciated.

i like the low choir vocals - don't listen to metal much anymore but track sounds good on this laptop

nice guitar skills

OK, Have any of you done this where you spend so much energy on a song and it ends up one big pile of eq's, compressors, normalizing etc? well thats what I did and it seemed like I was going backwards, plus it was just getting real messy on my computer! So I started all over, I got rid of everything except the dry tracks and then tried again. I think it sounds a bit better, maybe more "open"? Either that or my mind is playing tricks on me to just get it done!
Anyway give a listen.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=27300

I listened to both versions. I thought the second one was an improvement. Real good playing. Song-structure-wise I thought it took too long to get to the vocals.

The brighter guitars were an improvement, but I think the main rhythm guitars were recorded with too much gain. There is not enough attack to them, they're kind of mushy sounding.

I think the bass is sitting about right. So is the lead guitar. I thought the vocals were a little buried.

The drums sound really distant. There isn't enough "crack and pop" to the snare. It's a bit dull sounding. The cymbals were fairly dull sounding as well.

1. Rhythm guitars are too loud. They don't sound double/quad tracked and panned. it sounds like everything is fighting for space in the middle of the mix. You need to take advantage of the stereo field. I would suggest Recording your rhythm guitars two SEPERATE times. Make sure you play them well. Then pan one take hard left and one take hard right. If that's still not full enough for you, record them two more times, and pan one 75% L and the other 75% R, and turn this inner pair down a tad.

2. Drums sound like...I don't even know what man. If loops are the best you have to work with, than you should try and get a hold of some better sounding samples. Drums sound mono and ALL in the center of the mix.

The music here is good, but this has a long way to go production wise.

There is not enough here for you to need to be using any complicated series of compressors/EQs/Normalizers/etc.

I used some other music in my genre to compare and well, there is no comparison, mine sucked! so I went back with all of your suggestions and, well here you go. I hope this is an improvement. Since I only have been recording for less than a year, I have much to learn! Thank you all for the critisism, it means alot!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=27337

Ok if this were my mix here is what I would "try" - might not work AND I am not really familiar with mixing metuhl. but you might want to give this a shot.

Make two copies of your drum track, pan them hard L and R.

Take the left track and add a multi-pass filter to bring out the snare, add a snare reverb to it or maybe even a 20-30 ms delay or tweak the EQ whatever.

Take the right track and use a filter to try an isolate the toms and do the same thing with them, add some reverb or delay or whatever.

Next go in and mute sections of these tracks so the effect comes and goes along with the mix.

You might be able to simulate a little wider drum spread.

Anyway - that is what I would try :) might work might not LOL :D

GL!

How can you tell a metal "medley" (which should consist of several separate songs that have been combined) from just a long metal song?

Sorry...just couldn't resist...:D

Back