Listen and Post Some Feedback!

Right guitar at the beginning is too dark/wrong sound/something. Distracts, actually most of the way through. Left guitar sounds much better. A little cleaner guitar tone at the break would give a lot better differential.
Some of the vocals are buried (and usually by the right guitar) and the high pitch phase that shows up at times is pretty harsh. I like your voice. Nice texture. I'm not a huge fan of obvious distortion on vocals, but this sounded good for the mix.
No nits at all on the drums. The kick could have a bit more punch and slap. It's a little lost.
Good bass tone.

The main vocals sometimes don't sit right in the mix to me. They sound very boxy sometimes--like you recorded them in a closet or something.

Other than that, I like it.

You're not the first to say that. Everything recorded in bedroom. Mic is sterling st51, untreated room. Suggestions for fixing vox up?

Overall I liked the track. I wasn't too worried about the guitar sounds.

The vocals were sung well, but I'm not sure about the effects them. I'd like to hear more reverb, and from around 1 minute on they are getting swamped. The echoey stuff on the vocals is, but when it stops, it leaves the vocal thin and underwhelming. This is a big song instrumentally, and the sound of the vocals needs to match that.

The guitar sounds heavily crushed, very compressed.. It's got a bit of a solid state sound going on without going full Dimebag. If that's your thing, fair enough.

I'm not a huge fan of the vocal effects during the chorus. They make your vocal retreat more when they should be out front most.

I'm disappointed the vocals weren't well received. This was my second mix, and I focused especially on the vox. The effects I definitely will keep, but I can fine tune them some more. The line" king of the world", in the chorus needs to stand apart from the other lines before and after. If it's too distracting, I can try lowering the drive. Thanks guys

You're getting feedback from half a dozen sets of ears, my friend. Everyone hears something different. Your job as artist is to take what you feel will constructively enhance your artistic effort and apply it.
I never find it joyful to have things I do torn up, but recently I spent a lot of time trying to tweak a guitar sound and got it to where I was comfortable with it only to have most people question it and suggest I retrack the guitar part. Listening to the song with some fresh ears on a new morning, I have to agree with what's been said.

Give yourself a day or two and then re-listen and do what you (as the artist) think is best for your art. It really is a great song. You have an outstanding voice. You'll make it work!

No problem. You always leave constructive feedback on my posts,.and I appreciate that. I'll leave it be for a.day.or two since I'm just not hearing what you guys are in the chorus. Not that it isn't there, just that it's one of two songs I've listened to for the last week...so ear fatigue is definitely taking over.

If you stick around, you'll also get a feel for who knows what.
If you think that the vocals in all my mixes suck, then you might be wise to ignore what I say about yours.

One more thing - when putting on the verb, do you guys generally leave the "mix" portion @ 100% and only change the wet/dry setting? This song I put both to around 50%. Perhaps moving the apply-to-mix setting closer to 100% is a better idea. However, I usually listen and decide what sounds best for each particular song I record and mix...not too many "ground rules" in my 6-month experience in mixing my own music. But if it's some generally recommended thing, to leave the mix part at 100, then I'll start considering that. Just find it odd that some think reverb is lacking when it's certainly been applied to an at least moderate extent. thanks

If you think that the vocals in all my mixes suck, then you might be wise to ignore what I say about yours.

I plan on it! Not too many places I know of where ppl listen to your music on their own accord; where the entire purpose is based on that idea. And everyone here is nice enough, so far ;)

My vocals suck in the mixes because I'm a songwriter, not a singer. 30 years ago I could sing, but now, I just put it out there. :D

One more thing - when putting on the verb, do you guys generally leave the "mix" portion @ 100% and only change the wet/dry setting? This song I put both to around 50%. Perhaps moving the apply-to-mix setting closer to 100% is a better idea. However, I usually listen and decide what sounds best for each particular song I record and mix...not too many "ground rules" in my 6-month experience in mixing my own music. But if it's some generally recommended thing, to leave the mix part at 100, then I'll start considering that. Just find it odd that some think reverb is lacking when it's certainly been applied to an at least moderate extent. thanks

I use and SSL 9000 style board (Reason 8.1), so I usually put each effect that is specific to a track on a parallel channel and run 100% wet, then just adjust the second fader up down to taste...ones that will be on multiple tracks are also 100% through aux feed and +/- the aux send. Rarely run anything in line. YMMV

Sorry, to clear that up: I'm talking about the knob on the actual plug-in. I do everything digitally, though I do have a fader for the verb since I use it as a "send"...gets its own channel that way. Now that, I pretty much leave alone (the fader). But when I open the verb plug-in, I can manipulate the dry/wet and reverb percentage OF that dry/wet setting. So, I can set wetness to 100, but only have it applied to 50% of the track. At least, that's the way I'm perceiving it to work. Sounds like it anyway.

I do everything digitally as well. The SSL9000 is a digital representation of one in Reason (my DAW of choice).
Okay, so you have it on an aux send. You can vary the amount of the track (vocal) that goes through that aux send by manipulating the amount of send on the track (thereby allowing you to use the same reverb for all vocals (multiple tracks) and apply minimally to the lead and more to your backups. Same space, but further forward/back). I still leave my plugins 100% wet unless I'm using them inline. i.e. after the mike but before the fader.
I use Reason for the board and rack concept. It matches up to my experience before digital...

Back