LISTEN LIKE BRIAN with VOCALS

rayc

retroreprobate
Hello Folks,
Here's a collaboration between Greg L on drums, (Who forgot he'd done it), Rob Green on vocals, melody, solo & lyric rewrite and myself.
There are two versions of the trcak one is stereo and the other mono.
The project started as a mono as an homage to the tpoic of the tale.
It's been mixed as mono rather than applying the mono button and is somewhat different to the stereo version.
We'd like to know what your fresh ears think about the mix - specifically the vocal level in the stereo but any and all thoughts are welcome.
Oh, which works better: stereo or mono?
MONO
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/listen-like-brian-mono-230414c

STEREO
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/llbstereo230414c

Here're the mixes after applying all suggestions from those who've offered them:

Last edited:
hay ray... I'd perhaps bump up the lead vox a touch in the stereo version... and the background "aahs" too... they're a bit too distant for mine... although by the time I was halfway through I was OK with the level, so maybe it's just the start.. or maybe it's just me...

Liked the lead guitar tone bit at 2.00-ish... but the actual bit left me wishing it was a bit more.... something. Not sure what.. energy perhaps.. if that makes sense? I'm always "filling in" melodies in my head when I'm listening to other people's stuff... and here I was doing descending triplets for some reason, before ending on the root note played for a bar or two in an almost random timing.

I don't particularly like mono mixes, having two ears... I much prefer stereo and the width it brings... so won't comment on the mono mix!

It grows on you this one... and I like the unexpected minor chord bit. Noice.... :thumbs up:

Shame about the drummer... still sometimes you just have to take whatever you can get.... :D

(Kidding Greg! :laughings:)

Hey guys, it is really cool to hear this. I think as a collab it really works, Rob's voice sounds pretty natural here. I *really* like at 1.57 the "Brieieieieiei..." trailing off. Nice touch.

I found all vocal tracks a little low throughout...even for a song like this, and I'd like the rhythm guitars to come up a hair, but you've mentioned not wanting to do that. Anyways, definitely a cool sounding collab guys. Thanks for posting it!

I thought the vocal was too low in both the mono and stereo versions. Maybe also compress a little harder - words at the end of phrases tend to get lost. Surprisingly I didn't really have a preference of mono or stereo. If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably say I prefer the stereo version.

The lead guitar sounded a little on the distant side. Needs a few more upper mids and less reverb.

You could probably turn down the bass just a wee bit. It's pretty strong. I really liked the part tho.

edit - did I catch a pop or something at 1:33? In the stereo version I also heard a pop or something at 1:31. But I can't hear that one on the mono version. Not sure it's a pop, but it's something non-musical.

Cool tune and good to hear another collab from the guys. The vocals are too low for me on both versions. For some reason the stereo version seems "thinner" - less mids/bass - maybe it builds up more in the mono version. Drums could come up to meet the increase in vocals.

Thanks a lot for your ears guys - I'll leave ray to respond more fully and act on suggestions as he's the mixmaster general.

It's funny though that all the comments say the vocals need a boost. My last word to him on the subject before posting was that I thought they were a little loud in the mix. Just goes to show what overfamiliarity and selfconsciousness does to your sense of judgement... :facepalm:

I hear the pop mentioned too - sounds like a glitch in the mixdown or upload maybe?

Cheers fellas - it was fun to work on with ray.

Here're the mixes after following suugestions:

More main & bg vocals
Less bass
Checked for pop (not in project so probably artifacts from conversion & uploading).
& bit more compression
NEW MIXES 1st ones for May - duplicated as new post on page three.
Retracked vocals & otehr changes.

Last edited:
Armistice,
thanks for stepping in 1st. I've upped the vox. the solo is delib. simple to echo the Beach Boys style with a touch og Mersey thrown in.
All chords are unexpected to me. This one's full of simple shapes up n down the 1st 7 frets because i don't rewally know much beyond my solid 10 chords - the rest I make up.
fat_fleet,
ta mate. Vox lifted. I was hovering about wondering what other minor psych touches to add to give it a period vibe so ended up with the Leslie'd intro to sort of forshadow that vocal spot but figured anymore would be going overboard.
TripleM,
solo tweaked, bass lowered and sussed out for pops. Thanks for youor interest and comments.
ido1957,
Thanks mate. The mono has more reverb on different layers and a little more compression so it def. has greater density.

Rob'n'I have enjoyed a couple of days away from the track and appreciate the alternative perspective.
Nice work Rob - a really enjoyable and quick collaboration.

I just listened to the latest. I like both mixes, the mono impressed me because I usually don't like mono but you did a good job giving everything room. The snare and cymbals on the stereo mix only sounded lacking in highs to me, snare sounded just a little muffled and cymbals lacking a little air.
A good song well done by yous guys.

I really like the tune for a start.

Listening to the latest mixes, I agree with rpm61 that the stereo mix loses some of the clarity on the cymbals. This has come a long way since the first mix I heard a few days back and has benefited greatly.

I would probably notch the solo guitar down a touch as I found it a little too on top for the track but it could be a personal taste thing.

I think with a few more tweaks here and there you can put this one to bed. Sounding great. :thumbs up:

I thought the remix addressed just about everything.

I'm still hearing a "little clicky something" at 1:33. I'd still back off some reverb in the lead guitar. But that's just me.

One more thing... is there a flanger or chorus on the rhythm guitar? I seem to hear it in the intro. To me, it would sound better without that.

I guess I'm listening to the newest stereo mix?

Sounds pretty good. I think you could tighten up my snare with some EQ/compression. Kick and toms sound good. I like the guitars and bass. The vocals sound good to me, a little pitchy in spots. The melody seems a little weird but it grew on me over repeated listens.

I'm listening to the 04/27 stereo mix (is that right? I always have to take a sec to decode the date when it's formatted differently :o), and it's sounding pretty good.

There's a lot of cool, rhythmic low end energy towards the center where it should be and the guitars sound nice panned out like they are. The leslie effect is cool...I assume that isn't an actual cabinet there? I just got an old hammond organ and was led to believe that it came with a separate leslie cab, but it turned out to be just a "tone cabinet" with tons of fixed speakers. Damn.

Anyway, the performances are all good. Rob and Greg did cool stuff here.

The melody is a bit odd at times, but I've noticed all of the different guest vocalists you've had over the years (joey, rob, frits, etc.) and thought to myself it must be kind of hard to create a simple melody over the chord changes you lay down, you know? Everyone always seems to come through though. I always like hearing rob sing and greg play drums so this is a win-win.

This track is a little less mellow than most of rob's stuff, so it's odd for me to hear him sing in this context, but at times throughout it really works well.

Again, I think the mix is sounding pretty good. I guess overall maybe a bit darker than I'd like, but certainly not a lot. Nice work everyone :).

rpm61,
thanks mate. I'm quite fond of mono generally so am trying to get a good mono mix more for my own tastes than anything else.
Mr Clean,
Ta muchly. I'll have a squiz at the guitar solo.
TripleM,
thank you for the ongoing commentary - it's ben very helpful. I'll have another listen to indiv tracks around 1.33. No effects on the guitars except for the intro lead - I will have a close listen to the intro though to discern if anything if generating that response.
Greg_L,
Thanks heaps. I'll work on the snare 1st of all.
heatmiser,
Thank you. Date formatting - well, I'm old, I'm steeped in the received English traditions and it is the general formatting used in Australia. It is confusing though. I wonder if the US could be persuaded to change? The Leslie is a Freebie VST plug. I think you're right about my progressions and the key as well. Causes grief for many. It is what it is I suppose - I don't know many chords so I "find" things on the fret board - I later discover, with a chord namer, that they are nothing new or special. This is a bit of a change for Rob - he listened to the backing mobnths ago & heard a melody - so much so that he thought there already was a vocal track when he revisted the track after I reposted. Basically his imagination put his hand up for this one - glad it did. Darkness - hmm, it may be my interface as I've had that comment a few times since a) going to Reaper & b) using a Focusrite Scarlett.

This is a bit of a change for Rob - he listened to the backing mobnths ago & heard a melody - so much so that he thought there already was a vocal track when he revisted the track after I reposted. Basically his imagination put his hand up for this one - glad it did.

Hey yeah, that was really weird. I feel like I can’t take much credit for the melody because of the way it came about – the tune I went with is pretty much the one that I thought was already there when I listened back.

Apart from the re-writing the lyrics to fit this, the only thing I actively changed from that was trying to add a few variations between verses – because when I played it to my wife, she felt the melody got a bit repetitive after a while. I don’t know if this is what you’re picking up on with the ‘odd melody’ comment Pete? That maybe some of the variations seem a little forced perhaps? It was fun singing in a more upbeat/assertive style than usual though... :)

Thanks a lot for your ears fellas and thanks for coming back in again trip.

I’ve just listened back now and it does all seem to be at a better level. I’ve been really aware of all the pitchy bits of the vocals Greg mentions throughout, which is maybe subconsciously why I pushed for them to be lower in the first place. I got a bit burned out on them after a while and couldn’t face any more takes, but I think I should be able to get something better than this now that I’ve had a break from it. Ray, if you’re happy to, I could probably send you a more ‘on pitch’ version at the weekend?

..she felt the melody got a bit repetitive after a while. I don’t know if this is what you’re picking up on with the ‘odd melody’ comment Pete? That maybe some of the variations seem a little forced perhaps?

No, I didn't really find it repetitive so much, it was just some of the intervals created by your vocal melody over the chord changes were a bit unusual to me. Not bad necessarily, just not so familiar...but remember, this is coming from a guy who at best creates nursery rhyme-like melodies :o :).

First, I am stalking Clean

(I only listened to the stereo versions, I like stereo) Listened to your earlier take and then the one from a couple of days back. The reduced reverb sounds much better, but the vocals don't seem to be coming out like they seem they should. If you do decide to do another pass, try a little more bump on the vocals see if it works.

Good tune. Man this place is loaded with talent.

No, I didn't really find it repetitive so much, it was just some of the intervals created by your vocal melody over the chord changes were a bit unusual to me. Not bad necessarily, just not so familiar...but remember, this is coming from a guy who at best creates nursery rhyme-like melodies :o :).

Ha, well me too usually! Ray's chords kind of lent themselves to some melodying around semitones in the chorus - which made them a bit tougher to sing, as evidenced by my struggle with pitch. I think I've got a stronger take in the pipeline though, so I can finally get this nailed...

First, I am stalking Clean

(I only listened to the stereo versions, I like stereo) Listened to your earlier take and then the one from a couple of days back. The reduced reverb sounds much better, but the vocals don't seem to be coming out like they seem they should. If you do decide to do another pass, try a little more bump on the vocals see if it works.

Good tune. Man this place is loaded with talent.

Thanks for listening DM. I'm sending Ray a fresh take soon and I've eased up on the saturation a little which seems to be adding a little more clarity to the vocal. I'll see what he makes of it :)

Back