LISTEN LIKE BRIAN Rob Green, Greg_L & rayc

rayc

retroreprobate

Finished the mono version - light on the bottom end to replicate a mono single.
Written by Rob & ray beaten into shape by Greg.
Mastered by Fran Ashcroft.

Here's a link to a 320 MP3. Hopefully it doesn't sound as unpleasant as the streamer.

It's a "Right click save link as..." jobbie.

The above is the stereo, but as yet unmastered, version.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. You say this is finished, so I assume you're not looking for critique.

Thanks for sharing. You say this is finished, so I assume you're not looking for critique.

lol...yeah, that. I don't know what to do with this. It's intentionally mono and lo-fi with a weak low end? WELL DONE!

It's actually pretty harsh. If that's intentional, ok, but I've heard Sex Pistols recordings that are warmer.

chrisharris,
I noted the harshness on Soundcloud but it's only Soundcloud.
It is intentionally mono and is about mono. Perhaps it's metamono? The bottom end is thinned as mentioned. I wouldn't have thought it was lofi, though it doesn't conform with the generalist definition of high fidelity which is focused on the audio being in a stereophonic image.
I also have a stereo version of the track but the mono makes sense to me.
I didn't mix for streamers & the mastering job was not done with those formats in mind either.
The .wav & 320MP3 don't have the harshness you refer to - though the silly guitar in the intro is overly bright.
Thanks & Yes, Robus it's finished.
I'm not after mix hints.
Interestingly I don't hear Sex Pistols recordings as harsh.
As it went through a few versions in the clinic and benefited from suggestions in there I did as I usually do:
posted the finished product so that those who took time to listen during the journey had a taste of the destination.
Faint Aroma and Softdance have, similarly, been posted in their final versions after the former's short life in the clinic and that latter's various incarnations since 1st posting in 2006.
Trackrat - thanks mate.

Last edited:
its a good song with great performances ...but real brittle, sizzlely, and lacking in low end tonewise.

Cool vibe to the song.

But the vocal and guitar are very harsh/brittle. I think the idea of a minimalst low end is cool, especially on a tune like this. But I think you need to watch that upper midrange.

Jimi,
Thanks. Try the MP3 version. there's a fair bit of bass drum - it's really the bass guitar that was rolled off significantly.
TripleM,
Ta mate. There is a little peak at about 620 that may be the cause but I'm not sure it's a evident in the .wav & MP3.

I'm sorry, Ray, but I'm not really a fan of this type of sound. It's a bit like an old-fashioned mono cassette recording, to me. Have you got the kick coming through the reverb? The song's good, but the sound is everything I'm trying to get away from!

No worries Bubba,
The sound makes sense of the song & visa versa and you description verfies and justifies that to some degree.
I do have a stereo version of Pet Sounds but much prefer the mono.
After all the song is about listening Like Brian - deeef in one ear et al.
I do have a nice crisp stereo version with solid bottom end etc.

Thanks for responding.

Hey ray, it's a shame soundcloud completely mangled the mix - the original master wav file and the 320 mp3 both sound a lot better. The other two you had mastered by Fran didn't suffer the same soundcloud problem, so presumably it's something about the mono mix that it can't handle?

As I said, I miss the bigger low end from the stereo mixes too, but I understand and appreciate your reasons for doing that with this particular one :)

Thanks Rob,
The song'd still be in a folder waiting if you'd not accidentally created a melody & then put your hand up to do the vocals, extra lyrics and solo. Working with you was an easy & enjoyable experience.

I love it

I love the mono mix on soundcloud...lofi's my thing with this kinda sound...I have stacks of compilations from Pebbles and Nuggets featuring 60's garage tracks

Its got a great vibe...I actually wish it was less polished, Id stick the vocals with a humongous reverb and make the guitars sizzle more, maybe even a fuzz pedal/effect. Gregs drums normally sound more polished than this, so hes got the vibe right too and the lyrics are great. I wouldnt touch the low end, this kind of sound never really had a solid bottom (oo er)

Id be tempted to do an EP of stuff like this Ray, I really think it would have potential...get Greg to do some surf style guitar maybe??

I have a track which is based on Hey Joe, band from texas I think, and they have no drummer, just someone banging their knuckles on the floor, sounds great :)

Ive been experimenting too, recorded drums and some synth to different types of cassette...its worked out pretty well just mixing it now...rock on lo-fi!

kcearl,
Thanks mate.
I started this project out on a 4 track cassette machine but, as I have trouble planning ahead (beyond breakfast), I soon moved it to Reaper.
I'm glad it makes sense to another person in the world.
Thanks for the encouragement.
I look forward to hearing your experiments.

Back