Listen to this! I want YOUR opinion

Headline

Hey guys,

I'm practicing mixing and I want your opinion to some stuff a couple friends and I recorded. Thanks for your interest. The band is called Outlook and this song was recorded at Hurley Studios in Costa Mesa, California.

The mix sounds perfect to me but I'm just curious what you think

Due Time Mix #2 | Flaherty's Portfolio

The distorted guitar sound was OK. A little washy, but not too bad. Vocal tone and performance were good.

If there is a bass in this tune, I can't hear it. The mix needs a stronger low end.

The drumming was overly busy. Sometimes it seemed to be fighting the other tracks. The drummer should be the engine, not the center of attention. IMO The kick was at about the right level, but the snare was a little low in the mix.

I concur… a little more low end would be great for song that has a driving beat.

Outside of the technical stuff the band should be a bit tighter. Especially when the guitar and drums are trying to do integral timing riffs at the same time a slight slip of the beat here of there really stands out. A nanosecond on a track like that is the difference between “wow, that’s awesome” and “whoa, that’s a sloppy mess.”

Back