Layered psychedelic madness

WarmJetGuitar

Been messing around with this since March now inbetween recording other bands and playing some rock 'n' roll. There's a lot of inspiration from Turkish 70's psychedelia along the lines of Erkin Koray and Selda Bagcan.
I found it important to keep a lot of spontanity in the process and as I keep it entirely analogue moving beats around is not an option. Had hot contributions from friends, usually with a bit of partying going on during the sessions.Due to these circumstances there might be a thing or too that might offend Beat Detective though my life will go on.
I'm impressed by the drumming of my mate since my sloppy guitars and the bass was recorded first and he insisted on me muting the click track.

Would like some feedback on whether its too muddy or not and your thoughts in general. Not mastered besides half a DB rolloff around 20 to 40 DB and half a DB of 16 KHZ.
Meant for a FLAC and cassette release. Or the latter might only happen if I can find someone with a proper duplicator willing to press on type II tapes at hot levels. No hipster garbage "hiss featuring the music cause no one listen to the cassette edition anyway" mentality here :D

The Motivation Radio: Leila Khaled by Jonathan Hoejgaard | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I love it. Love all the elements from styles, genres, and cultures. Very musical.
The drone works for me, but might not for some.

The vocal gets a bit loud at times (e.g. 2:00 section)...I'd put a little compression and/or ride the fader there. Double check the vocal levels in general.

The overall feel of the song is kind of cool.

I'm noticing some repeating timing mistakes. Like the mistakes are in a loop that keeps repeating them.

I like the bass sound. I like the drum sounds, except the kick is a little low in the mix.

Vocal is cool.

I noticed the timing errors too. It sounds cool at first but does not hold attention. Maybe give the vocals a more prominent place.

I love it. Love all the elements from styles, genres, and cultures. Very musical.

The vocal gets a bit loud at times (e.g. 2:00 section)...I'd put a little compression and/or ride the fader there. Double check the vocal levels in general.

Thanks a bunch mate, really glad to hear :) I agree and struggled with just that part during mixing. That particular vocal was one of the only things that wasn't quite carefully recorded, basically I had done vocals myself I hated and just ended up partying with some friends six in the morning and their mates to distract myself from my obsessive tracking. Asked two of them two have a go at vocals for fun and kept this one as I like it a lot. Was wasted and in a rush so it's just a 57 recorded way too hot. The guy is rather busy with other things than music and couldn't get him to do a new take another day. Doubt it would have had the sloppy magic of this take though.

A compressor helped when I tried but only got four track of compression; a two channel GL Audio 5021 and a Fostex, both was busy performing more essential tasks.

The overall feel of the song is kind of cool.

I'm noticing some repeating timing mistakes. Like the mistakes are in a loop that keeps repeating them.

I like the bass sound. I like the drum sounds, except the kick is a little low in the mix.

Vocal is cool.

Valuable feedback. Which mistakes are you thinking about in particular? My ears are better at sonics than actually notes ;) I'm aware that it's not entirely tight. There's a tambourine hit somewhere that I have to spot erase.

Thanks :) The bass is a Jazzbass DI'ed into the stock preamp of the DDA desk, then some compression and then slammed to tape.
The drums are a cheap no name drumkit but with an excellent drummer and a nice DW snare. AKG D112 on the bass drum, Beyer M201 TG on the snare, 57 on the floor tom, Neumann KMS5 on the hat and Oktava MK-319 as a mono overhead, pretty hot levels to tape except the hat. Parallel compression on BD, snare and OH.

I'll take note of the kick. Perhaps I did the cut the wrong place in mastering.

I noticed the timing errors too. It sounds cool at first but does not hold attention. Maybe give the vocals a more prominent place.

Hmmm, I need to sharpen my ears for timing errors. An example could be useful :)

I like the vocals slightly buried, I tried them louder during mixing but found that it interrupted the groove too much :)

Last edited:

As soon as the drums hit, I found myself bracing for a tedious slog. Can you speed it up about 40 bpm? :D

The mix sounds pretty good, not very dynamic tho. The overall level starts pretty loud and just kinda stays there.

This is pretty cool. Has that 60's hippie vibe for sure. One thing that stood out to me was the click of the cymbal (or hi hat) is too loud compared to the rest of the drum kit.

I picked up on that because I deal with this same issue on practically everything I record.
Cool stuff man!

There're some great compilations of Turkish psych. Lots of great stuff amongst it too. My fav Turkish Psych band is Siddartha - a little PFloydish but still lots of their own style and wonderfully recorded. I was actually sent a copy of their album by a member of the band when it was finally released on CD. That makes it even more special.
This track has a cool drone feel to it and the changing vocals kept my interest as did the lead noodling underneath. The cymbal needs tweaking and there might be a little mid mud issue as well but I enjoyed the track.

This is pretty cool. Has that 60's hippie vibe for sure. One thing that stood out to me was the click of the cymbal (or hi hat) is too loud compared to the rest of the drum kit.

I picked up on that because I deal with this same issue on practically everything I record.
Cool stuff man!

Thanks so much mate. In this case I actually like the loud hihat although I often had this problem too, listening to a lot of old disco and digging the loud hats in the right context. Lately I found out that the work around is placing a small diagram condenser under the snare, reversing phase and gating the living daylight out of the fucker so the seiding doesn't rattle long after the impact. And then a dynamic or another SDC on top. Classic 70's snare, at least with a wallet on the thing and recording on tape.

There're some great compilations of Turkish psych. Lots of great stuff amongst it too. My fav Turkish Psych band is Siddartha - a little PFloydish but still lots of their own style and wonderfully recorded. I was actually sent a copy of their album by a member of the band when it was finally released on CD. That makes it even more special.
This track has a cool drone feel to it and the changing vocals kept my interest as did the lead noodling underneath. The cymbal needs tweaking and there might be a little mid mud issue as well but I enjoyed the track.

Damm, thanks for the recommendation... gotta check them out.

Yeah I like the vibe but the occasional early/late drum hits are distracting, even if the drums are in time. Cool melodies and tones. I thought this was a Steve Hillage cover when I saw the title

Back