"Last Time" - are the vocals too loud?

The vocals seem to be a decent level.

The nits that stick out to me is that some of your breaths are really loud, and I'm not a fan of the bass tone. That's a very slap-funk kind of bass line, but the tone is too smooth. Needs more snap to it.

*edit*
Reading these lyrics, this is the most weenie narrator! "One time I smoked weed and turned gay!" "I love my wife, but she drives too fast!" Party harder, man! :D

I don't know why, but with the tone of that vocal and the little bit of funk feel right at the beginning, I keep wanting to hear it up a 5th or something. It's like I'm hearing that part is not the melody. And, not wanting to be hard on the singing (from the chair in my glass house), it's a little hard to pick out the pitches down there in your range, so maybe that's all it is.

The vocals seem to be a decent level.

The nits that stick out to me is that some of your breaths are really loud, and I'm not a fan of the bass tone. That's a very slap-funk kind of bass line, but the tone is too smooth. Needs more snap to it.

*edit*
Reading these lyrics, this is the most weenie narrator! "One time I smoked weed and turned gay!" "I love my wife, but she drives too fast!" Party harder, man! :D

- I know the lyrics make me sound like a real wuss.. ha ha it’s just a made up story bro.. well some of it kind of happened...jk

Smooth, mix sounds good, verse vocals sound good. Group vocals in chorus do stick out to me as maybe too diffuse/?reverby, but not too loud. Consider clean/spatially separated harmony there.

Also on the chorus might go with a rawer bass sound, but I like the bass sound elsewhere.

If the vocal is too loud, it's by the smallest amount. If it were me, I'd nudge them down just a bit. But it'd be fine if you left the level where it is. You might want to ride the fader on it. The verses have don't have as much going on instrument-wise. So the vocals are out in front. But they sit pretty well in other spots.

Overall, I thought it was a good mix.

The background gang vocals are too loud.

The lead vocal is pretty dry, compared to the other tracks.

Everything else sounds quite good to me.

When the 2nd voice comes in for the pre-chorus, the vocals are a little bit loud, and the chorus group vocals are definitely too loud. Instruments are balanced nicely. Ride cymbal might be a bit too jangly at the end.

I want to thank everyone for all the great feedback. I re-mixed it based on the suggestions
-automated lead vocal, brought it down slightly and added a little more delay for some lines
-Used automation to bring down some of the lead vocal breaths
-Brought down gang vocals' volume a little, and did some mild pitch correction on them
-Added a shaker to the second half of the verse, pre-chorus and chorus
-Made some EQ changes to the bass (can't really remember what I did to it..)

Last Time 1 - 4 17 18, 2.10 PM by Docmansound | Free Listening on SoundCloud

My Youtube channel: YouTube

Last edited:
Back