Last song I recorded in the old studio!

I'm of know help in the mixing department, but I can't hear anything at all that sticks out. Five listen's and this is damn perfect sounding to me. Great freakin song man! Vocals are outstanding to my ears. Guitars rock~~~~~5*****

Downloaded last night. Listening at work with headphones.

Heh, “why you turned yourself into a whore” LOL :D. Sounds pretty damn good to me. It will take better ears than mine to find much wrong with this. The vocal harmonies in the intro sound a little loose (pitch). The mix overall seemed pretty loud. It actually fatigued me a bit to listen to it multiple times. I kept wanting to reach for the volume icon :D. The playing sounded quite good and tight.

Nice job

Hey Scott,
Im listening on the computer here at work, so a good mix critique aint coming from me. But, on these speakers the snare sounds just a touch shy, and/or the r. guits just a touch loud. ...again consider the source:rolleyes: Speaking of the snare...... GREAT sound!!! Cool tune man!!
g

...did i mention that i loved that snare?

Listening on computer speakers with sub. Sounds very good in general. As the song progressed, I became aware of some "white" noise, possibly generating from the guitar (I could be very wrong). Good performance, though, and good mix. I would think a keeper, but it sounds like you hear something that bothers you. . .

If you need to re-track anything, I would think it would be the vocal (harmony?), and mostly near the beginning, depending on what you're going for. These are just initial impressions, for what they're worth. ;)

George

Whoa... a general, "clipping wave" type sound here :D 8k is really piercing...

Sounds like something "Bucket-head Jamal" might write tho ;) (compliment)

Snare is very thin... sounds like in general a boost at 8k of about 6-10 db happened on a relatively well balanced mix... lol :)

Reset all EQ...? Start over :( (suggestion)... start by locking the bass & kick ... then hook up a subtle room reverb on a stereo send, and bring the rest of the drums into the "room" through varying percentages of 'verb/dry.

Bring up the vox.. see if they fit... if not... fit the drums around them... then raise faders on everything else. Leave EQ flat as much as possible... until things just get ugly ;)

Then post a remix? (If possible)

Sounds like a good song. I've got about 3 of yours burned to CD... great job on the Iraq song, btw.

Chad

on computer speakers so not much to say about the mix.

i like the line about turning into a dirty whore just to spite me LOL.

only complaint on these speakers is that the vox are a little pitchy.

the kick sounds great........the snare isn't near as good.....

very nice song......the distortion makes the mix a bit too harsh....maybe more compression on the guits?...i'm not really sure, but the ears kind of get kind of overworked listening to it on the phones if you know what i'm saying

i definitely think it's worth fixing up

Just to let ya know, I listened with a fresh pair of ears today..it's a bit crispy this time around...but make no mistake, this song rocks imo. Fix it man, it's well worth it!

yes..I agree the mix is thin and "tinny" sounding.....most notable on stuff like the snare... and the guitars. It sounds like some freqs. got scooped out. I'd start twiddling some dials and see if you can bring in some lower midrange, upper bass...or whatever. If they are not there to begin with, or very minimal, I don't think Eq'ing is going to work, however. If you did something in your mix that created the thin sound, then maybe it can still be corrected. As an experiment, I put a pretty HEALTHY dose of additive EQ around the 250-350 range and it seemed to thicken things quite a bit. Probably pretty horrid sounding on other systems, but on mine it helped a lot.

The synth sound at 2:05 was also especially "screachy" sounding. The fade out lead sounding much better, but had a distant sound to it.

nice tune and melody lines, as well as the lead guitar solo which I liked a lot.

Same as mixmkr on the comments and one production thing. You have a pretty wet sound in the instruments, I would have put a drier vocal on top of the mix. This would have made it pop out a little more without turning it up. Or, you could turn it up.

Scott this is a really good tune and very much worth playin with to get it perfected! This is only my .02 but I tend to listen mostly to guitars...go figure! The distortion on the rhythm guitar is a bit too cutting I think and tends to muddy the mix a bit. The distortion fits quite well with the lyrics but perhaps you could warm up the tone a bit...I dunno. Very good job man! How's the new studio goin?

bd

another good song by you! Those first backup vocals sounded excellent.. agree with some of the previous comments about the mix being a bit too crisp and limited.. also about the screechy synth around 2 ish.. dont like the snare but it's a very good song!! I always like your vocals..

Facet-perfect, this one. I got nothing to add or recommend. I love that string-plus-tinkle sound that comes in at 2.00 - it suddenly got a bit like Suede at that point, which is praise. Really good work.

This one is LOUD. I'm extremely grateful for the fact that I play mp3s with Cool Edit, and so I see the waveform a split second before the track actually starts to play. I was able to get the headphones off just before that mountain of sound kicked in. That waveform's almost solid. Whatsa matter? Don't like to see any background color on a waveform? LOL

Good one.

Yup, I can hear what the others are talking about, now that I've read the comments. I need more practice. It's still a really good song. :)

Hey thanks for the comments guys... Dang now that I read all your comments and take another listen and look at the wave it is WAY loud and harsh..

I have GOT to calm that sh!t down.. :D

The new studio is up and running.. I hope to have some new tunes out but not so loud. :D

Thanks again everyone your help has got me to where I am today!

Uh...the song was pretty god but I don't know about that last synth sound. It seemed to demusic the song a bit if you know what I mean. I would like to hear something a bit more melodic for this song, it seemed out of place to me.

Back