Last One In The Room - alternative pop, new mix

andrushkiwt

Hey, I decided to remix this one since I feel it was one of my strongest tracks but the original was sub-par.

I redid every aspect of the mix, although I no longer had access to the stems or bounces. Everything was repanned, re-eq'd, re-compressed, etc... using the things I've picked up in the 6-7 months since I first did this. Hopefully, the end result is more complete, full, and an appropriate volume.

Please let me know how this remix turned out. I appreciate the listens and comments.

It was all for nothing.
A diamond I can't see.
An ordinary something,
they never did believe.

October is ending,
my soul's not so clean.
February's coming,
you were the last one in the room
when I walked out.

My opinion's turning.
I guess that I was wrong.
An ordinary something.
On this exit, you're my secret,
I won't let them twist my words yet.

I believe it sounds so angry through
the locked up doors, and I see you're waiting for
my confession, but nothing kills me more.

when the full mix comes in I think the main vocals sit out a bit for me. And Im not sure a less distorted tone on the guitar wouldnt work at the beginning, sound fine when its all go. Its a great tune, theres just something about the vocals that doesnt sit right in the mix. (I very rarely mix vocals so thats about all I can say)

Funny but the guitar tone sounds fine when its all stripped back before the end playout so its maybe me :)

Cool song.

I like that organ in the beginning a lot. How it comes in. I thought I was hearing something in my room!
The cymbals get really thin and swishy during the chorus. The toms sound louder than the rest of the kit. They move around the head space like surround sound (interesting, but I like listening to drums like I'm in the audience so for me that didn't work). The vocal has a crispy top. I'd EQ some of that out.

I'd like to hear the straight mix before any limiting or compression to understand if that crispness is the mastering phase messing with frequencies or the mic. Since the cymbals are getting so swishy I think it might be the mastering phase messing with things.

The song is great. The mix isn't fully realizing the song.

Last edited:
The toms sound louder than the rest of the kit. They move around the head space like surround sound (interesting, but I like listening to drums like I'm in the audience so for me that didn't work).

I'm not hearing anything brittle in the guitars, they def have a bit of treble, but no system I played them on did they come across as brittle. hmm. if anything, there a low mid rumble I couldn't EQ out of them. I don't have access to the stem anymore, so I could only re-EQ it.

The toms are purposefully louder. I automated their sound in the sections they're used to carry the groove. I've always panned them from drummers perspective.

when the full mix comes in I think the main vocals sit out a bit for me.

I can see that. I didn't push them further because there's so many things jumping out at you when everything kicks in already. I did want them back more during the chorus and up front during the verse. Appreciate the listen and comment kc

I've been listening to this tune for months. Somehow my SoundCloud settings has it set to play immediately after I play any other other song. Don't ask me how that happened. There is a rap song that pops up after this one everytime too.

Anyway, I think it's great but the vocals could use a volume bump when all the instruments kick in.
great tune!

I've been listening to this tune for months. Somehow my SoundCloud settings has it set to play immediately after I play any other other song. Don't ask me how that happened. There is a rap song that pops up after this one everytime too.

Anyway, I think it's great but the vocals could use a volume bump when all the instruments kick in.
great tune!

I think it's based on the songs you "liked". One of Easlern's tunes does that for me.

I can't listen too critically, as I'm at work, but it mostly sounds good.

Only nit that sticks out at first is that the hi-hat and lead vox sound too close in the verses. That hat's right up on my left ear, and you're right in my face! :D

Nice! Really thick big sound. The swirling sound the cymbals makes is a little distracting to me-the right side crash specifically, id rather hear the wash then the mechanical sounding pounding it's taking if that makes sense, it's almost like the hits are late or something making the attack stand out. I agree that the toms are a bit spikey, a bit of brittle high end that's the loudest thing in the mix when they're hit. Right before the second chorus, when the backing vocals join the lead, the lead vocal gets a bit lost-like I can't really hear the words there. The vocals are riding real close at times in this tune, just barely coming over the top. Very very good song! It seems like you're getting the sound you want, I'd prefer more dynamics in the master but that's just me. Amazing work for a single person to pull off!

I love this song!

Only nit for me is on the first chorus, on "when i walked out" the harmony seems to detach from the melody a bit (it's tightly coupled the rest of the time).

I've recently mixed a song with that some sort of tom-carry through a verse, I love it.

Sounds great man.

The crash cymbal being rode during the chorus - something about it seems a little distracting. Maybe it's just a level thing. It's just a little bit too much in the lead there IMO.

The ending is very interesting haha.

You didn't want to go with the intro guitar panned to one side, and the ethereal synth on the other (with vox in the middle)? Good mix when it comes in, though!

You didn't want to go with the intro guitar panned to one side, and the ethereal synth on the other (with vox in the middle)? Good mix when it comes in, though!

I was thinking a dirty, fuzzy guitar, in the style of Basketcase, for the intro. I see what you're suggesting though. Interesting. :guitar:

Sounds killer as always, andrushkiwt! Love the impact and thickness when the chorus comes in, powerful. Nothing really stood out to me as off. Awesome job.

Back