Last One In The Room (Acoustic)

Hm...I don't know what people are hearing with the guitar. I feel the opposite; that it sounds best at the most percussive parts. Sounds like something Grohl would play with the heavy downstrokes, etc, which is cool IMO, and that fits the genre.

I'd eliminate the bass all together. It's not realistic to think there would be a singer-songwriter playing an intimate acoustic song, and then an electric bass player chimes in. If you want to have bass, I'd suggest making it sound like an upright/acoustic bass. That would be cool. Like really roll off the highs, put flats on it, play with the fingers...you can get something close to an upright tone doing that, and that would fit more with acoustic guitar and voice. Something like this (I know it's a totally different style, but I think that's a beautiful sound and interaction for a bass and guitar with a singer-songwriter type song). It's probably totally different from your vision so consider this personal bias/preference!

Van Morrison - Madame George - YouTube

I'd eliminate the bass all together. It's not realistic to think there would be a singer-songwriter playing an intimate acoustic song, and then an electric bass player chimes in.

3-part harmony doesn't really fit that either. I like the electric.

This is a $79 Sterling ST51.

I have a proposition for you. Last year I bought 8 AT Pro 70s. If you PM me your address, I will put one in the mail to you, in the next 2 or 3 days, free of charge if you think you could use it for your acoustics. You will have more knowledge concerning the guitar as I bought them for doing interviews as well as overheads to pick up the crowd. They work great for my usage.

There is only 2 stipulations.

1. You must allow me to use at least 2 of your original audio recordings from this mic. I really don't care if you just sit down and jamb for 3 or 4 min. (Well, like I told you before, one of your songs really touched my heart. I would love that one to be included but the choice is yours. The instrumental part would be just fine if you want to keep your voice copyrighted).

2. You must apply the same dedication to recording and mastering the audio, as you have shown for your other recordings you have posted in this community.

That's it. If you have any concerns about my offer, please understand that there are no alternative motives. I simply like your attitude concerning music as well as your willingness to give back the the "Music Community". Like I said before, I would pay for your music.

Meant as opposed to digital or sim.

Variety? Why would I play the chorus differently each time? If you mean between songs, so as to not strum as hard, then perhaps hearing another acoustic song would be in line. If that's the strumming pattern for this song, then that's what it is. Another song will have a different way and feel. I guess I'm not understanding what you mean. Some songs are picked, some are strummed, some are strummed like this, some are strummed like that...you can't have variety without more songs, and this is only 1. :)

I don't think I've "practiced" guitar in about 25 years, although I guess each time I play you could consider it practice. Are we talking about practice?

YouTube

Wait ... what are we talking about again?

Great performances as always. Everything sounds nice to me. I could go either way on the bass. I can hear it, and I'm sure it's making a big difference, but I also wonder how it would sound if it was just an acoustic with some more lows present to fill it out.

Regardless, for you first attempt at anything acoustic, you did a phenomenal job.

I could go either way on the bass. I can hear it, and I'm sure it's making a big difference, but I also wonder how it would sound if it was just an acoustic with some more lows present to fill it out.

Regardless, for you first attempt at anything acoustic, you did a phenomenal job.

I received a suggestion for a bass the first time I privately shared this. I didn't originally have one. After taking that suggestion into consideration, I definitely preferred the bass version. Some of it prob has to do with that acoustic. It's a very old (1970?) Sigma DM5. It has never been touched up or had a "setup". My dad bought it in the 70's. I really need to take it in to the local shop. I'm just worried it's going to be an outrageous price for total setup after almost 50 yrs.

I received a suggestion for a bass the first time I privately shared this. I didn't originally have one. After taking that suggestion into consideration, I definitely preferred the bass version. Some of it prob has to do with that acoustic. It's a very old (1970?) Sigma DM5. It has never been touched up or had a "setup". My dad bought it in the 70's. I really need to take it in to the local shop. I'm just worried it's going to be an outrageous price for total setup after almost 50 yrs.

I know what you mean. I'll put off setting up acoustics as long as I can. I'm to the point where I can do a pretty good job on an electric, including replacing the nut and filing it if need be, and I'm getting pretty good at fret leveling. But I can't do anything serious on an acoustic like replacing the bridge or anything like that.

Nevertheless, you got a nice tone out of that guitar.

I agree, I like the tone of it.

A 50 year old acoustic probably needs a neck reset, and a lot of those off brands like Sigma (tho I think this was a Martin offshoot, tho I don't know much about it) used weird glues and epoxy that many luthiers won't even touch. It might be hard to find someone to even repair it unless it's a traditional dovetail joint with hide glue. A cheat is to sand the bridge to try to match the neck angle...it can be iffy. I have an old guitar with the same problems and I just play it, but the action sucks so bad (even after sanding down the saddle as low as possible it's 2.7mm at the 12th!). Good for building hand strength!...and arthritis.

Last edited:
I agree, I like the tone of it.

A 50 year old acoustic probably needs a neck reset, and a lot of those off brands like Sigma (tho I think this was a Martin offshoot, tho I don't know much about it) used weird glues and epoxy that many luthiers won't even touch. It might be hard to find someone to even repair it unless it's a traditional dovetail joint with hide glue. A cheat is to sand the bridge to try to match the neck angle...it can be iffy. I have an old guitar with the same problems and I just play it, but the action sucks so bad (even after sanding down the saddle as low as possible it's 2.7mm at the 12th!). Good for building hand strength!...and arthritis.

Yeah the action is terrible. I'm at work so I can't respond in more detail. But you're rignt.

Good for building hand strength!...and arthritis.

I've played this thing since I was 9 years old. It was what I grew up playing. I didn't have an electric until I was 12, but I've certainly spent more time in my life playing the acoustic. I've written, probably, 300 songs on that thing in my lifetime, thus far. It has never been repaired or examined. It's prob time. :)

I have a '91 Seagull that I got in a trade back in '93 or so, and it's been my main writing guitar ever since. As with you, I've written hundreds of songs on it. Earlier this year, I finally bit the bullet and got it worked on. I know a luthier, and so he cut me a good deal. I got it re-fretted with jumbo frets, new (bone) nut and saddle, and a full set-up. Oh man ... it's like a breath of fresh air. The action is great, the intonation is way improved, and the tone is even better. I definitely don't regret it!

Having said that, though, my reason for doing it was to get it gig-worthy. If I were just using it as a writing guitar, I don't know if it would be necessary.

Vocal sounds terrific - excellent clarity, but not harsh. The right-ish guitar sounds excellent. Harmony part is very cool.

The only thing I think you could improve on is the left-ish acoustic guitar. It sounds a little wooly. I'd work with either a low end (~100hz) cut or a mud-range (~300hz) cut to see if you can get some of that gook out.

I think everything else is excellent.

Having said that, though, my reason for doing it was to get it gig-worthy. If I were just using it as a writing guitar, I don't know if it would be necessary.

Or what about recording? You guys like the tone, but I think it can be better. I know it's in rough shape.

Vocal sounds terrific - excellent clarity, but not harsh. The right-ish guitar sounds excellent. Harmony part is very cool.

The only thing I think you could improve on is the left-ish acoustic guitar. It sounds a little wooly. I'd work with either a low end (~100hz) cut or a mud-range (~300hz) cut to see if you can get some of that gook out.

I think everything else is excellent.

Both guitars do have the same EQ treatment, but that is possible because the plays only the heavier chords while the R goes off to do the lead things. But there's the bass, which is LP'd down to 5khz, and I wonder if that's the issue?

Wow, is that an original work? Outstanding! and a tight performance.
The recording/mix sound ok, but does not do you justice. Call in the studio experts.
Just saying.

I could tell your action was high. You're hitting those strings pretty hard, and I didn't detect any rattle. Still, you should get it to a good luthier for an overhaul and setup. High action on an acoustic is just no fun, and not good for your hands if you play much. The oldest guitar I own is an Ibanez acoustic that I bought when I left home for college in 1982--with the money I was supposed to use for my first month's rent, but that's another story.... It's nothing special except to me, but it sounds great. The action has got pretty high, so it needs a new saddle if not a neck reset. I need to get it done so I'll have an alternative to the Taylor I play these days.

I could tell your action was high. You're hitting those strings pretty hard, and I didn't detect any rattle. Still, you should get it to a good luthier for an overhaul and setup. High action on an acoustic is just no fun, and not good for your hands if you play much. The oldest guitar I own is an Ibanez acoustic that I bought when I left home for college in 1982--with the money I was supposed to use for my first month's rent, but that's another story.... It's nothing special except to me, but it sounds great. The action has got pretty high, so it needs a new saddle if not a neck reset. I need to get it done so I'll have an alternative to the Taylor I play these days.

Yeah, it's horrendous. Hand typically sore after 1-2 hours of consistent playing. And I've been playing the thing for 25 years!

Back