Kind of a Punk Rock Song.

Cool song. I would filter the vocals a little more when the distortion kicks in to emphasize the effect. I understand it is a demo for bandmates, but that stuck out to me.

I thought the song had a lot of energy and spirit. while I see what greg is talking about on the drums not being recorded well, I think the song as a whole rocks. it's hard to get good drum tracks man...it takes a lot of effort and experimentation. while greg can be a total dick...he knows his shit on getting good tracks and mixes that translate well to all media. listen to professional mixes of music in the style you are recording, read all you can on recording drums, and try to get the sounds you hear on the pro recordings. You will get a lot better result and th3 have specific things you need help with....
like "how do I get my cymbals to be less clangy" and stuff like that. Then you will find that many people here on this site will be more than willing to help you.
good effort on this tune man!

Hey, thanks a lot for all of the useful information guys.

I remixed it, here is what I did:

- Phase shifting and compression on the OH (little), as I thought it allowed me to lower its volume without losing definition as I raised the kick and snare.

- I tried to add something to the Vocals, but I'm still thinking about just retracking it, cause it sounds weak to me...

View attachment Punk(4).mp3

Here it is...tear it apart guys.

The vocals sound good as is. If you can do them better by all means, but they're good as is. I'd like to sing that well, buddy.

Try to find that offending cymbal frequency and EQ it out.

The vocals sound good as is. If you can do them better by all means, but they're good as is. I'd like to sing that well, buddy.

Try to find that offending cymbal frequency and EQ it out.

I'm finding it hard for me to do that, because if remove too much of it...it loses definition on the chorus, as I punctuate in the ride cymbal, u know? Any tips in aproaching that?

I'm finding it hard for me to do that, because if remove too much of it...it loses definition on the chorus, as I punctuate in the ride cymbal, u know? Any tips in aproaching that?

What's on the mic that has the cymbals? Is it the overhead mics?

This would be a good situation to use automation and EQ the verse and chorus differently. I can't think of any other way. But if this is just a demo then don't bother too much with it and tackle all that when you re-track it.

I don't pretend to be an expert on recording drums, because I simply have never done it so I won't comment on that part. With that said, I think your second mix sounds pretty good. The whole track seems to have that "lo-fi" sound which is really cool. I really like the saturation of the vocals during the chorus. Only YOU know what you were shooting for so if it's what YOU wanted then you should be proud of what you made. If 50 people recorded the same song, you would hear it 50 different ways.

I listened to both mixes and the second one definitely sounds better. You didn't say you changed the guitar sound in the left channel, but it sits much better now and has less high end sizzle, which I think sounds better. This is a kick ass song with a great vocal track. Any way to roll back some of the vocal distortion on the last scream? Maybe paste the dry vocal along side the distorted one? Just an idea.

The drums are still pretty far below the level of the rest of the recording, but they're a bit better.

Since Greg_l pointed it out, they do sound like they're in a different space than everything else.

Back