Kind of a Punk Rock Song.

CMolena

Hey.

I've recorded this tune by myself as a demo to show to my bandmates, so we can start playing it, but I'm mixing like I normally would (not demo intended, if u know what I mean).

One of the aspects I'm most insecure about it the distortion on vocals in the chorus. It is sounding good, but IDK, maybe is because I just love distortion.

Anyway, any feedback will be helpful.

View attachment Punk(3).mp3

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

I like the guitars. Very punk sounding. Maybe just a little wooly. Maybe a small cut somewhere between 400hz-600hz.

I like the bass tone.

I personally didn't care for the distortion on the vocal. The vocal in the verse sounds a little dry and bare. I'd add a small amount of a room reverb.

The snare was a little dull sounding. I thought the kick was decent and I thought the cymbals sounded real good.

Love the song, the energy, and the vibe.

Hell yes to the song, recording, and mix.

The distortion is a great idea and fits. I'd use a different pedal, though, because this one has some artifacts (maybe it's a sim?).

Seemed like the vocal get's buried in the chorus and very low in the verse. Not sure if you should raise the vocals or lower the other parts, but vocals are being pushed back.

For point of reference, I am listening on a pretty decent home stereo with full JBL floor standing speakers and sub. But they are not monitors.

Good tune and playing.

If it's just a demo recording to show your band, it's fine. Who cares? But if you're trying for a finished, salable product, this is way way way bad.

Hell yes to the song, recording, and mix.

The distortion is a great idea and fits. I'd use a different pedal, though, because this one has some artifacts (maybe it's a sim?).

Yeah, it is a sim and I know it sounds kind of cheap...I'll buy a DI box so then I can pass the signal through my amp (Fender Hot Rod Deluxe).

What do you mean by way way bad? Just to help on new ideas for the mix.

Well, I'm not trying to be mean here, but what are you hearing? What do you want the mix to actually sound like? I don't know what kind of ideas you have in mind. My idea of a mix for a song like this would start with way better drum tracking. Your current drum tracks are a trainwreck IMO.

I dont care if you are mean, that doesnt make a difference to me, I think you made your point and I just asked why, haha, dont worry.

What do you mean by trainwreck? Lack of clarity? Or of definition?

I dig a real organic uncompressed sounding drumkit, with loud and quiet parts and sometimes parts that are completely messes up, just like a punk rock drummer should be, lol.

I dont care if you are mean, that doesnt make a difference to me, I think you made your point and I just asked why, haha, dont worry.

What do you mean by trainwreck? Lack of clarity? Or of definition?

I dig a real organic uncompressed sounding drumkit, with loud and quiet parts and sometimes parts that are completely messes up, just like a punk rock drummer should be, lol.

No, a punk rock drummer should not be messy...not on purpose anyway. There's a difference between giving it all you got and still being rough around the edges, and being bad on purpose because you think it's punk as fuck. The latter is lame, contrived, and phony. If you can drum better, drum better. Just off the top of my head I can probably name you dozens of punk rock drummers that are tighter than a fly's vagina.

Anyway, the drums are a trainwreck because they're recorded badly. Honestly, they sound like shit. But never fear...You can do real, organic, uncompressed drum tracking without it sounding like you just threw mics haphazardly around the room and called it punk. Look up some drum miking techniques and give a proper drum recording a try.

Go and say that to Keith Moon my friend.

I never meant to start an argument with you, but I really dont give a fuck if you want to start one.

The only thing that I cant understand about your criticism is that you left it unexplained to me. I take critics all the time and it never bugs me, as people usually comes with good ones.

Anyway, I dont have the patience to debate with you how a drum kit sounds. Thanks, anyway.

He's recording in a laundry room with so so mics because that's all he has. Considering, he produced a great track. Even not considering that, he produced a great track. GregL, I take it you are not a fan of garage rock? Many are.

Cmolena, you created a new genre: laundry rock.

Go and say that to Keith Moon my friend.

I never meant to start an argument with you, but I really dont give a fuck if you want to start one.

The only thing that I cant understand about your criticism is that you left it unexplained to me. I take critics all the time and it never bugs me, as people usually comes with good ones.

Anyway, I dont have the patience to debate with you how a drum kit sounds. Thanks, anyway.
Keith Moon? You are no Keith Moon. It's asinine that you would even compare any bit of this to Keith Moon. You need to grow the fuck up. You asked for feedback, I gave it to you. Your drums are horrendous. There is no shortage of info out there in the ether on how to do it better. Don't ask for feedback if you can't handle the critiques. If you think this mess sounds good, then why post it for review?

As for debating with me on how a drum kit sounds...don't even go there. I delete and throw away better tracks than what you are defending here, so just stop.

He's recording in a laundry room with so so mics because that's all he has. Considering, he produced a great track. Even not considering that, he produced a great track. GregL, I take it you are not a fan of garage rock? Many are.

Cmolena, you created a new genre: laundry rock.
Bad drums are bad drums. Yall need to stop making assumptions about me not knowing or not liking certain things. I'm not gonna blow sunshine up anyone's ass. I like garage rock, and this has a long way to go to be considered good even by garage rock standards. I like a lot of shit that was recorded in dungeons, basements, garages, etc. I get it, but bad is bad. I'm not talking about songwriting, just the mix. The mix is bad. He said it's just a demo, and I said it's cool for a demo. It's not cool for a finished product.

So tell him what you'd do to get better drums in a laundry room using cheap mics. That's more productive than saying it's shit.

I think he suggested looking up some mic techniques and retracking.

Yes, I think I did, a few times.

I can't/won't tell him what to do. I'm not in that laundry room, and I'm not interested in taking on a protege. Especially not now that he's lost his shit over it. But I bet it can be better, even in a fucking laundry room. Dude has to take it upon himself to learn something for himself. It takes work and effort, your own testing and research, and not just having answers spoon-fed to you.

I buy them the books, send them to school, and they just eat the paper.

I never compared myself to Keith Moon, man, I just cited an imperfect drummer. I would never compare myself to a genius.

Yes he did suggested better mic techs, but thats about it.

I usually hear nice arguments when it comes to critics, not "I think your drumming sounds like shit". Even if it does sound like shit I think thats a vain argument and up to debate. Your presumption of "better or worse drum tracks than you" demonstrates that. I posted it to hear criticism and for you to suposedly point out why it sounds like a mess in the first place.

The streets are bestrewn with the corpses of people who thought that being punk means being shit at playing your instruments.

I never compared myself to Keith Moon, man, I just cites an imperfect drummer.

Yes he dis suggested better mic techs, but thats about it.

I usually hear nice arguments when it comes to critics, not "I think your drumming sounds like shit". Even if it does sound like shit I think thats a vain argument and up to debate. Your presumption of "better or worse drum tracks than you" demonstrates that. I posted it to hear criticism and for you to suposedly point out why it sounds like a mess in the first place.

He said that the recording of your drums was shit, not the performance.

I never compared myself to Keith Moon, man, I just cited an imperfect drummer. I would never compare myself to a genius.

Yes he did suggested better mic techs, but thats about it.

I think it's clear that Greg is pointing out that the drums are badly recorded and you should consider working on your mic placement to capture them better. I don't know if he's also stating they are badly played, but if they are, then practise and retracking until it's nailed is probably in order.

---------- Update ----------

He said that the recording of your drums was shit, not the performance.

Cross post!

Back