Which kick is better? Drummers' help required!

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hey guys, I'm undecided about which EQ for the kick should I use for this instrumental song. The first one cuts nice in the mix, but the second one has a fuller sound. Any ideas or advises?

Thanks in advance!

I would go with #1. As it cuts much better trough the mix. Two maybe to full that's a) why it's not cutting trough the mix and b) why it's probably makes your mix muddier and clashes with other low freqs.

I agree with Rogstar, sounds like you are going for the classic Metallica kick sound, you have the attack nailed pretty good. to get the solid low end thump I would really boost somewhere around 80 to 100 hz. it took me years as a FOH guy to find the kick sound I wanted. I like a lot of low end, 100 and below, a little low mid, little less high mid, and a lot of high end, 6 to 8 k. Hope this helps. One trick is to tune the heads as loose as you can and still feel comfortable playing, then use gates to capture just the window you want, and compress the hell out of it. also oil filled heads help a lot. Good luck sir

Thanks, I was afraid it was too thin. Sure has a bottom but I wanted to try another possibility, that's the reason behind the second track.

another idea is to copy the kick track to another track, set that track up as a sub track, remove all the high end as you have it on the other track and boost the hell out of the low end on the sub track and compress the hell out of it, then you can mix the 2 together. just a thought. Thanks

Honestly I prefer the second one. Yeah, the first one does cut through more and takes up less space down there....but I just don't like the tin can metal bass drum sound. The second one is still that to a degree, but not as bad. It sounds more real.

Back