The KEEPER - Pygmy Beat Extended

This is great. Nice vocal tone - i hear some NoFx in them. that's always a good thing, intentional or not. nice work bubba

I'm not a fan of guitar solos, especially bluesy ones, and I thought a more punky, less notes, more feedback and noise would have fit better. But still, great playing Greg. Drums too. great collab.

how do you guys put this together? Send files back and forth, or do you all live in the same area?

andrushkiwt,
Thanks for your kind words. The guitar is deliberately Johnny Thunders like. Stylistically and sonically it's a great fit from my perspective though something completely Robert Quinne may have been nice too - but then again Quinne's best work was against skeletal rhythm and he's dead.
Process - I recorded a structure of computer drums, bass & guitar then after Bob & Greg agreed to collab I sent that to them and they recorded their parts which were then sent to me for mixing. Basically everything came dry and as single tracks per file so that they could be placed in the same "room" with EQ & reverb. After a basic mix was sent back with all parts in I asked for and implemented/experimented with any/all mix suggestions and when a consensus was reached it was posted.

After a basic mix was sent back with all parts in I asked for and implemented/experimented with any/all mix suggestions and when a consensus was reached it was posted.

well I thought it was convincing as a live performance for the most part. Great job on that aspect too. It helps when each person can record solid material to begin with. Great work, again

Bandi Nabox is a pretty cool tub thumper when the alternatives are me on an eKit OR my Roland TR 505 (I have 2 but both wander slightly).

Enjoyed the tune. Good energy. Vocal melody reminded me of Gates of Steel. Gerg's guitar bits very tasteful and appropriate in the context I thought

Bulls Hit,
thanks mate. the similarity is due, in part, to the melody closely following the root of the progression's chords.
Greg does nasty very nicely.

Hey Ray, Ive listened to this a few times over the last week but haven't had chance to comment. The file naming looks similar to that of the LLB masters – so I’m guessing this has been to Fran for mastering already?

Sounds great and performances of course all excellent. All the parts come through nice and clear - really like how the bassline cuts through. Nice work mate.

Rob,
yep I sent it off to Fran as soon as the mix seemed sorted. Not perfect but sorted for my ear. He did a good job as usual. The bass was recorded, for a change, through o compression pedal into my usual Behringer BDI21. The comp was very light but seems to have done some magic, (I know it added some high EQ as well - seems build in), so I'm pleased it was noticed.
YellowDwarf,
Cheers. You're the 1st to mention the lyrics. I started out with words and was slowly introduced to writing music. The original lyric was written in about 76 but was tweaked considerably this year to remove the more odious callow youth observations.

Back