Nicely done. Your vocals were very distinctive. Easy to listen to, and I really don't listen to rap that much. It is enjoyable! Loved the beat, it had me swayin in the chair and I even did not realize it, till I made a large sway around 3/4 of the way through. Just so you know, I scraped it, and I don't do that often!

I thought the kick was a bit loud, even for the genre. The vocalizing in the intro sounded pitchy.

The lead vocal was a little crispy. Nice and clear, but a little crispy. The rapid fire delivery was cool.

To me the low end needs something besides the kick. A drone on a synth or a bass. Edit - a low end synth comes in later.

TripleM what did you listen to it on, if you dont mind me asking.
i only ask because of the crispness. i should tone down the sheen? THen again this isn't even the final mix, so we're not even listening to the same version anymore >_< *facepalm*
THanks for the input btw!! i remember when i first started posting here i got no love, haha! now two posts in one day- with actual criticism ! much joy!

edit: when you say pitchy on the intro, Do you mean the initial vocal, like before the rap?
Nicely done. Your vocals were very distinctive. Easy to listen to, and I really don't listen to rap that much. It is enjoyable! Loved the beat, it had me swayin in the chair and I even did not realize it, till I made a large sway around 3/4 of the way through. Just so you know, I scraped it, and I don't do that often!

thank you so much! i'm glad you enjoyed the beat, i enjoyed working on it. i was scared while mixing the low end of the 'Ready or Not' sample because I thought it would interfere with the bass, but everything about it stands out like it's supposed to, even paired with monorphogenetic sorrow! Mixing the vocal was the fun part. THis time it happened a lot faster than usual which worried me at first, but after accepting the sound I was able to enjoy

Last edited:
This sounds current/relevant. Really good. Whose vocals, yours? It would fit right in any modern rap station. I was hoping that the "sign" and "mind" melody early on was going to be the refrain. Not sure why the writer didn't come back to it all; it was def the strongest vocal melody in the entire song. It'd be a bad choice not to come back to it, in my opinion. I wasn't as interested in the second half, particularly the "karma" lines, though I know it's the title track. Also, there is a touch of muddiness in the bass line.

Kick was a bit loud in the beginning, but once the vox came in, it was a better match for the rest of the mix.

The vocals felt a little mid-rangey to me at first, but I got more used to them as it went on.

The lead vocals are super-far-forward. Is that standard for the genre?

Last edited:
I agree with andrushkiwt that this sounds as though it could be on the radio. I'm not a rap fan in general, but this is very well done, and I like the way you've mixed in some catchy melodies. The beat sounds great to me overall. The chords have some nice surprises in them too. This sounds like smart rap -- like a fresh take on the genre. As others said, the vocal delivery was really great.

i really didnt want to push the vocals so far forward, but that seems standard right now. i would have buried them, because i feel it'd show off the beat a bit more and create a more ambient feel.

i centered most of the mix around the mid range area because it just feels fuller and more natural. maybe i should tone it down? eh.. i'll see how it sounds. :)

i really didnt want to push the vocals so far forward, but that seems standard right now. i would have buried them, because i feel it'd show off the beat a bit more and create a more ambient feel.

i centered most of the mix around the mid range area because it just feels fuller and more natural. maybe i should tone it down? eh.. i'll see how it sounds. :)

Whose vocals are these

his rap name is steph currypowder

That's like a Jeopardy answer in the category "Before & After". Anyways, he's good. Good tone and melodies. I haven't heard the song in a couple days now, but I still remember the melody for the "mind" and "sign" play. That's a good thing.

Back