Just wrapped up ... finally. "Sees Me Right"

There is some compression on the kick drum that is weird. I'm sure that I can hear pumping going on in that region.

Ha ... you are absolutely right. It's a gated compressor on that. Excellent ears.

You're probably hearing the gate more than the pump.

I did the gate because when listening to the actual track, the bleed is incredible. I wanted only the kick to be heard ... because there is a ring to the background on the track ... so I cut the gate hard.

... which makes it sound like a pump.

Good catch.

around 0:48 the synth sound seems like it should roll off, but it stops rather abruptly, sounds strange. It is a great sound except for the artificial stop.

I didn't hear a pump, doesn't mean it isn't there, just not noticeable to the untrained ear.

Good stuff. You still remind me very much of Toy Matinee (I think I have said that about every time I have commented on your stuff). Style and voice very reminiscent of those guys.

Ah ... it's the distorted guitar sound. Yes. I edited it to cut out sharp. I wanted it clean.

I have the same thing occurring later in the song in the same structural passage ... but it's harder to hear the cut because I layered more over the top.

Recording is very different from live. Live is MUCH more dirty ... but this is such a studio crafted piece.

As I play with my new live unit ... the hardest thing to convey to them is when to stop playing ... and leave space to the music.

It's something I learned in the studio. There is only so much sonic space ... and the human ear likes clarity ... not collage in mish mosh.

There is some super mega pumpy compression happening and it is very disconcerting. I couldn't finish listening to the song because of it, which is unfortunate because I was enjoying the music. I'm getting a Cars/Talking Heads meets Boston sort of feel, which is really cool.

It not just the kick. There is something on the snare that keeps 'sucking/pumping'. It makes it hard to listen to. Which is a bummer because the tune and playing is there.

The synth tracks also seem to have the same strange effect on them.

Find what that is and stop that from happening would be my main suggestion.

Otherwise, great tune!

Do you have a compressor on the master that's being kicked in by the snare (and/or possibly the crash)? I noticed it around the 2:25 area and after. Vocals remind me of Joe Walsh on a good day (that's a good thing).

Hmmm ... I will have to check things out on the drums. As I said, I gated the kick ... but I'm not sure on the snare, frankly.

I've got a limiter trimming the peaks on the two bus, but that's it.

Thanks for the ears!

Also check your crashes...sounds like they are cutting each other out during the pre-chorus giving it a weird effect. Its a good sounding song though...well written.

the sound file didn't look (as it appeared in the SC image) to be over-limited, but there was some pumping happening there.

It's loud, but not bricked. I don't think it's in the whole mix treatment. It's got to be what I've done to the kit that needs tending.

New mix is up top (and here). This is the mix as it sounds coming "off the board". I stabilized the bass, brought the vocal back a hair, removed the gate on the kick, and lightened the compression on the kit, and the two bus.

Anyone hearing pumping now?

The intro sounds like some 80's sitcom title song. :)

I'm hearing lots of hissiness in the cymbals. Everything else with the drums is really good.

You're doing something weird with the vocal. Weird delay or something. A bit muffled too.

Guitars sound pretty good. Love the bass sound.

Are you using a 'doubler' effect on the vocals? A short delay or something is making it funky sounding.

What a much better sound for the drums! I have never and will continue to never use a gate on any drum track ever. It just doesn't seem to do anything good IMO.

Anyway, it sounds much better now man. I still feel some weird thing with the keyboards. Like when they stop, the life is sucked out of everything else. I think it may just be a bit of reverb placement of them in the same 'created' room as the other instruments.

I could just be over-thinking tho... :)

The intro sounds like some 80's sitcom title song. :)

I'm hearing lots of hissiness in the cymbals. Everything else with the drums is really good.

You're doing something weird with the vocal. Weird delay or something. A bit muffled too.

Guitars sound pretty good. Love the bass sound.

Shit. Now you're going to make me check the eq on that? You people are hard!! :)

I will check. You know how I trust your ears.

It is an Abbey Road doubler on the vocal.

I brought them back down in level, but popped the 1.2k range to accentuate.

Argh ... Mixing is HARD. :)

Are you using a 'doubler' effect on the vocals? A short delay or something is making it funky sounding.

What a much better sound for the drums! I have never and will continue to never use a gate on any drum track ever. It just doesn't seem to do anything good IMO.

Anyway, it sounds much better now man. I still feel some weird thing with the keyboards. Like when they stop, the life is sucked out of everything else. I think it may just be a bit of reverb placement of them in the same 'created' room as the other instruments.

I could just be over-thinking tho... :)

Yeah ... I've been having fun w/ the new Waves plug I bought on sale ... I *MAY* be overdoing my enthusiasm ... but I thought it fit okay. :)

Glad to hear you thought the drums better aligned, and stopped the pump.

Most of the sounds heard on this are strange variations of guitar. The only keys are the horn sounds.

Nonetheless ... you're talking about injected energy being lost. If you could cite instances at times in song where that was felt, it would be hugely helpful to me ... and thank you!

Back