Just finished this Metal-Core band. Tell what you think

Hubbawho

I just "finished" mixing this band yesterday. They were extremely specific as to what they wanted their sound to be. So bear in mind, the drums are meant to sound extremely up front and the guitars are supposed to be sorta muddy. There are a few minor things that I still plan to change. For instance, the tone on the intro guitar riff, and the volume of the second vocalist. (sings the second verse)

However, other than those two things, please tell what else I should change that I haven't noticed. Thanks

listen to the sample labeled (metalcore) - thanks
www.unrestrainedstudios.com/id13.html

Last edited:
The song is a pretty weird combination of styles. It starts off sounding like a typical At the Gates rip off metalcore band (or The Black dahlia murder for the younger guys haha) but then the "tough guy" hardcore vocals come in. I commend you for being able to sit through a session with this band.
You pretty much nailed the two things that immediatly jumped out at me. The guitars sound like they need a hi-pass and the drums are fairly up front for this style. I think part of the problem with the guitars is the fact that the drums are so bright. Its sort of a contrast thing, the guitars are muddy but probably wouldn't sound as dull if the drums weren't in such sharp contrast with their brightness.
I really don't have much more to offer. I might could catch something at a louder volume. What can you really do if the band has strict production specifications haha?

Man, I love the drums, but they are a bit overbearing. Right on the verge of clipping. Drowns out much of the other stuff. Vocals seem to be ok, as you already know the drums are hiding them. Guitar tone is good to me. The part at 1:45, where the tempo changes is good. I really like the feel of this. Other than what you already know, this is a good tune. I'd love to hear it mixed more evenly, as the sounds I can pick out were recorded properly.
Ed

yes I agree about the drums. Both about the volume and the brightness. However, the drums being bright and loud, along with the guitar tone, was exactly what the band wanted. I mixed thier music several times, but the drummer constantly wanted his drums turned up, and the guitarists wanted 1 muddy guitar, and 1 metal sounding guitar. (i originally had drums lower, except for the bass drum, and the guitars were very bright) So even tho it may sound a bit wierd to us, this was the mesh of styles that they were going for. They look up to the more successful hardcore bands who always have increadibly overpowering drums. (take As I Lie Dying for example) Also, this band's last demo sounded like the drums were recorded with 1 or 2 mics...not appropriate for their style of music. So I countered it by over producing the drums. lol what can I say, I guess I'm one of those guys who just gives into the client rather than producing the music the way I think it should be. But that's a whole other touchy subject.

Any other thoughts on how to "mix it more evenly" and still keep the powerful drum sound that the band insists on having?

p.s. just as an example of what the band thought about drums and volume...if you care too listen, there's another sample on that same page labled "an 80's sound". When they heard that sample, they complained that the drums were drowned out and that they weren't loud enough.

I think you need to buy that band a box of q-tips so they can clean their ears out. I just checked out the "80s sample". The drums are by far the loudest thing in that mix. Its more balanced than the other tune but you could probably still get away with more guitars. I can see where they might not like the verb on the snare. It seems more fitting for someone like Hypocrisy rather than AILD haha.
If the band won't let you do whats needed to have a balanced mix then theres not really much you can do for them. What exactly do they think is accomplished by having the drums burying everything anyways?

yea I see your point. lol But then again, in their defense, the music they listen to is mixed with the drums REALLY loud. But here's what I'll do, I'll keep a version close to this one, and then I'll make a new one with at least different levels in volumes. Who knows, if I don't tell them that I turned down the drums, they might not notice. lol it's worth a shot right?

I would just keep whatever version they like and then do a proper mix for yourself. Try and pass it off on them, if they think it sucks you can always revert back to the original mix that they liked. Its at least worth a shot.

Back