Just Another Day

fritsthegirl

Taste of home
I just came up with an idea. Heat did most of the leg work...drums, guitar parts and bass and mix. What did I do again? I just sang and did a bit of midi with the glockenspiels.

Think it turned out sweet but I'll let you be the judge of that....

I really enjoyed this track.

The whole thing held my attention . . . lots of interesting things happening.

Maybe I would have like to hear the vocal a bit more . . . perhaps a bit crisper to accentuate its aspirant quality, and maybe less of the lower mids.

There was a lot of cool stuff here, but I found the vocal delivery kind of grating. I like the close, intimate effect you're going for, but I couldn't get over the lip smacks.

Great bass tone.
Really all the tones are great here.

Actually a great song as well. Probably one of the best I've heard in the clinic yet.

During the verse I find the snare just a little loud and occasionally the kick sounds like it's good a loose head. But a very trippy sound overall - good job!

Really good collaboration.
Personally I'd bring the lead guitar parts down a little so that they seem to be at or below the vocal's intimate level.
Cool bass tone.
Enjoyed muchly.

I'd bring the drums back to get the vocal more out front.

Pretty cool tune tune though. Creative and original. There it is.

Maybe I would have like to hear the vocal a bit more . . . perhaps a bit crisper to accentuate its aspirant quality, and maybe less of the lower mids.

+ 1 on all counts. He said what I was going to say.

See, you know what's wrong with your music? I don't hear more of it, that's what.

Thanks guys. Frits doesn't seem to be towing the line with regard to replies, so allow me...

:)

I'm actually really happy with this one. It came together quickly, which for me is often a good sign. Three themes possibly so far...bass sounds good (I ran it through my 1x12 guitar amp and mic'd it w/ a 57 this time like I do my guitars, rather than the usual DI), drums might be a tad loud and/or getting in the way, and the vocals could be clearer/crisper.

I think GZ may be on to something about the low mids in her voice. See, I was fooled because her vocal tracks were super quiet...like quiet enough that signal to noise issues came up. I think she did this just above a whisper super close to the mic, so now I wonder if proximity effect kicked in? Even with the whispering, the vocal tracks are almost boomy sounding which is odd. I definitely wanted sort of a light and airy sound to 'em, and I did cut some specific low frequencies there, but maybe not enough.

I don't know if I want to remix this one. I did all the tracking (took hours to set up and take down the drums alone) in one day and mixed it that night. It just seemed right, but I can hear what everyone is saying and if I do remix it, I will take all of this into consideration. We'll see what frits says, if she says anything :).

Thank you for all the ideas so far!

I think GZ may be on to something about the low mids in her voice.

I only suggested this because I once recorded a track where the female vocals were sung quietly, breathily, and close to the mike. I thought they sounded fine, but my sometimes partner in recording said: "it's great, but her voice is too full. For that song and that style of singing, you would get a much better result by thinning out the vocals. So I tried, he was right, I remembered it and added it to my toolbox of recording techniques.

I only suggested this because I once recorded a track where the female vocals were sung quietly, breathily, and close to the mike. I thought they sounded fine, but my sometimes partner in recording said: "it's great, but her voice is too full. For that song and that style of singing, you would get a much better result by thinning out the vocals. So I tried, he was right, I remembered it and added it to my toolbox of recording techniques.

I will remember it as well. Thank you.

Thanks for having a listen. It's quite cool for me to hear my voice after Pete's mixed it. I usually go for zero reverb. I think when I sang this one, I felt it needed it though and asked him to lay it on thick. Actually the quality of the vocal recording wasn't great, had a lot of planes going over that night....I expect Pete had to do a bit of work to get rid of some of that.

Really good collaboration.
Personally I'd bring the lead guitar parts down a little so that they seem to be at or below the vocal's intimate level.
Cool bass tone.
Enjoyed muchly.

Cheers Ray. This was a fun one, it's much better for me to come up with just the basic idea and vocals and then pass it over to someone who does the majority of the work that I honestly haven't got the skill and patience for. :o It's real nice to hear you say you enjoyed it. :)

Back