Judy is a Punk! - Classic Ramones cover just for fun

Rat cat - bad stuff really. I bought the album - something must've been wrong with me...I doubt it's been played at all.

Lol, yup, terrible video. All of the Ramones early "music videos" are pretty bad....especially from those "Pleasant Dreams" days. That was during their early 80s personality crisis.

That album had some great songs though that were too slicked up. "The KKK Took My Baby Away" is a classic. Great song. There were others on that album that were equally brilliant but they got lost in the slick production. "All Is Quiet on the Eastern Front". Awesome song, killed by pop production. Imagine this song on an early Ramones album - it would have killed.

That song is on their 2nd album "Leave Home". My personal favorite Ramones album. That album gets an official Greg seal of approval. :thumbs up:

The long hair and poses were always there. The Ramones went through a personality crisis in the early 80s, and by 1984 they got a little angrier, and darker. They never considered themselves a "punk" band to begin with. They fought tooth and nail to NOT be lumped in with shit like the Sex Pistols and the noise junk of LA. They actually wanted to be commercially successful. The first 4 albums are incredible, but didn't sell. The next 3 early 80s albums were slick and polished and way too poppy, but didn't sell either. By the mid 80s the damage had been done, they said fuck it, and decided to just do whatever they wanted to do. They got mad. They wanted to show all those up and coming punk bands who the bosses still were. 1984's "Too Tough To Die" was the beginning of them getting a little heavier, and much faster. That was the turning point from the lighter, more fun Ramones into the darker times.

Looking through the tracklistings of the Ramones studio albums, I recognise and like about 3 or 4 from each of the first 5 albums (and I'm by no means a big fanboy of the band) - and then it reaches Pleasant Dreams and I don't think I recognise a single song from there on in.

I enjoyed the 1975 footage (despite the quality), but their style at that 92 gig is pretty much un-watch/listenable to me. Joey definitely looks kinda freaky :eek:

Looking through the tracklistings of the Ramones studio albums, I recognise and like about 3 or 4 from each of the first 5 albums (and I'm by no means a big fanboy of the band) - and then it reaches Pleasant Dreams and I don't think I recognise a single song from there on in.

I enjoyed the 1975 footage (despite the quality), but their style at that 92 gig is pretty much un-watch/listenable to me. Joey definitely looks kinda freaky :eek:

Lol. The later live stuff is definitely not for the uninitiated. A casual observer would be like WTF? In person though, it was just pure bad ass. The Ramones were an assault on all of your senses.....and it was good.

Greg, you have four mixes listed in the first post. I shuttled between mix 3 and mix 4 tonight. Overall, the sound of mix 4 is way better obviously, but two things:

* the hand claps aren't as present in mix 4. The hand claps are great. Bring 'em out.

* In both mixes, the backing vocal's kinda buried. Don't you like him? I think he's great. Bring him out.

Of course, you might have given up on this one. Of course, maybe you don't give a shit anymore. I don't care though. That's what I'm hearing. I really like this tune. This shit's classic.

Well dobronie, Mix 3 is the one I'm running with. I'm way underway into doing this whole first Ramones album. All the music tracking is done. Drums, guitars, bass, the few little extra guitar tracks, all done. I'm about halfway through the vocal tracks. Then I'll be mixing the whole thing, including a little remix of this one. Hopefully it'll all be good when I'm done.

Congrats on getting your recording and mixing chops to a level that allows you to turn out great sounding music that translates well on all stereos.
I hope to get there myself.

Well dobronie, Mix 3 is the one I'm running with. I'm way underway into doing this whole first Ramones album. All the music tracking is done. Drums, guitars, bass, the few little extra guitar tracks, all done. I'm about halfway through the vocal tracks. Then I'll be mixing the whole thing, including a little remix of this one. Hopefully it'll all be good when I'm done.

Mix 4 is bigger and brighter. Can I ask why you decided to go with 3? Aside from the hand claps, I mean.

Congrats on getting your recording and mixing chops to a level that allows you to turn out great sounding music that translates well on all stereos.
I hope to get there myself.
Thanks. Just keep doing it. You just have to keep doing it and doing it and over time you figure things out that work all the time and things that work none of the time. The things that work, you build on them and discover new things that work better. I don't really believe in "anything goes". Anything clearly does not go. Some things go, some don't. But I'm only okay at my own style of music. I can record and mix rock songs all day long. No problem. Other styles, I'm a lost cause. But fuck it, who cares? I don't do rap or country or EDM, and never will, so wtf do I care? My advice: Don't worry about mastering a wide range of shit. Just focus on your style. Whatever that style is. I think it's better to be really good at one thing than mediocre at a wide range of things. Football players are very good at football. Most of them suck at golf or baseball. All of the best musicians, mixers, and producers have their own sound and style. I do feel that I've reached a level of reasonable competence where I can dial in and capture the sounds I want to capture and have them work in a mix. My mixes have really gotten much simpler and I'm doing less and less to them as time goes on. There are things I'd like to do better, but it'll come. I just keep plugging away.
Mix 4 is bigger and brighter. Can I ask why you decided to go with 3? Aside from the hand claps, I mean.

Mix 4 is about how I'd normally mix one of my songs. Two guitar tracks, tighter punchier drums, bigger overall sound, etc. Like a standard modern style mix.

I like Mix 3 better for this because that's how the original song was recorded and mixed. I'll butcher any other cover song and make it my own, but the Ramones are one of the few bands that have ever existed that I actually respect so I don't feel right about altering anything they've done. Covering their entire debut album is just a fun exercise for me, but I am doing this in earnest as my own little way of paying homage to IMO the greatest rock and roll band ever. I can't do it better, not even on my best day, but I can try like hell to not do it bad.

Back