Johnny Lokke- Promises & Lies song mix

ManInMotion711

Let me start by saying i own absolutely 0% of this song. I downloaded the dry version from a website that allows people to download such songs to practice mixing. I uploaded it to the site for critique but i figured i would upload it here aswell for a wide spread of critique. Again i own absolutely none of this song NADA. . ZILTCH! I would just lice a critique on my mix. View attachment Promises And Lies.mp3

Very good mix! Sharp and clear, but not harsh. Lots of punch. I don't have much to suggest except things that are pretty subjective. To me, the rhythm guitars are so wide-spread that they quickly become fatiguing to listen to (on headphones.) Maybe pull them in somewhat for verses, and spread them out occasionally out for impact. The vocal was too quiet for my tastes, and when the BGV came in they sounded too reverberant. The bass was audible, but not as clear and focused as I would have liked. The rhythm guitars also seemed to have timing problems. Overall, I think the rhythm guitars were too dominant, as they really don't change much during the song, but just chug along, and were masking the vocals and bass. Hope that helps!

A good mix there mate, well done. As I'm new to this forum I'm not sure what the rules are but I think you could work on the mastering a bit more (I didn't see a specific mastering clinic forum so sorry if this is inappropriate). I think the whole mix is a touch left heavy so maybe check with some meters & see, could be my ears, it is before 9am here! Your drums sound great but I think as it's hard rock you could get away with limiting the master a bit more & it will sit the drums back a touch or maybe just dip a db or 2 off the drum buss. Overall though, nice work.

Last edited:
Thanks kirby. And thank you ashley. I actually didnt master this track at all. I never learned. all i did was mix it to the best of my ability.

The only things I notice are the cymbals being way loud, the bass needing more mids to give it distinction and the vocals being a little loud and dry.

Back