Interlude

Bulls Hit

I recently acquired a new Universal Audio 4ch preamp/AD convertor that's the now integrated into the hub of my sound room.
However I haven't yet quite got to the 'turn on/1-click record' level of workflow I had before and in this recording forget to setup the kick mic. As an exercise I tried to rebuild the sound around the room mic. In the end I could probably use this as a filler between 2 'proper' tracks.

Interested in your perception of the levels, and if the synths need further eq treatment

Last edited:
man some of those sounds take me back to the 80's. crazy stuff. I think it sounds really really cool. I think the synths overwhelm the drums, but maybe thats what your going for? If it were mine I would bring them up some but thats just taste. Great job!

Cool stuff.

I kinda agree that the synths could come down. They're overpowering the mix.

Those are some dirty drum tones!

Edit: having gotten all the way through now, it might be a touch long too.

frank1985 - haha thanks. The synth is an Arturia Microbrute, running off a Korg SQ1 sequencer

Bruthish - You're right, synths too loud. I went back and dropped them by a db. Solved! Thanks man

VomitHatSteve - Yeah agreed, it is too long for an interlude. I'm also not sure about the ending, it's such an obvious tack-on

Man, I think it's bad ass!
Great thick sound.
I think its perfect just the way it is now. You're getting great results.

Crazy stuff!!!I like stuff like that, the synth could use a limiter.
The sound structure reminds me of David Bowie.

I think it would be cool if the drums were cleaner in the beginning and then got compressed/dirty when everything came in. It would give it some dynamics.

I agree the synths are overpoweringly loud. There is too much compression on the track, in general.

It's interesting in a maniacal way, though.

jeez man-sounds like the sounds are actually in front of the speaker lol. I read of your fau pax with micing-i would not have noticed. You must have got a 4-710? I've looked at that piece many times but the price won't drop even after several years on the market. I really like the drum sounds you get, as far as the piece-i think it sounds great-i would have added something high like a gary numan "cars" riff. You really seem to know how to get your mixes loud without hearing any obvious compressor/limiting artifacts or pumping. What kind of post production or 2 bus effects do you use? Nice work!

NICE!
i dig the drum tones in the beginning,
thats nice and gritty.

but it just sounds like an idea for a backing track to a movie chase scene or something,
it never goes anywhere.

but whatever the drums are, i like that sound

Yeah really cool. Great feel to this.

I thought the levels on things were OK, but I could see turning some of those synth tracks down. For me, I'd leave them.

Not much I'd change. Again, really cool.

9 strings - Thanks for the nice comments

Nola - I haven't got any parallel compression on the drums on this one, although I did apply some treatment to the room mic to try and recover the kick. I wasn't really thinking about dynamics when I was playing them - focusing instead on making a crapload of noise! :D

Stratomaster - Yep the 4-710d. It's a nice unit. They have them at a 10% discount at jrrshop, but I opted for the bundle deal instead - they chucked in an Apollo Twin Duo. I know what you mean about a Cars riff but for some reason I ran into a dead end on this one. I use uad plugs on the 2-buss - Precision EQ, bus compressor, maximiser and limiter, but all very gentle, only knocking off the top 2 or 3 db. Thanks for the listen and comments

GONZO-X - Yes I'm liking these new valve preamps on the drums. They impart a nice crunchy texture to the overheads without sending the meters into the red zone, something the old Profire pres could never manage. You're right, the tune doesn't go anywhere - hence the intention to use as an interlude. Thanks for checking it out

ClearedToPlay - Short & concise! Cheers

TripleM - Yeah I'm OK with the levels as they are. Thanks for the ears Trip

frank1985 - haha thanks. The synth is an Arturia Microbrute,

Cool, I have one of those lying about, this has inspired me to have a mess around on it. One suggestion I have for the track is to try recording some vocals....to me the music sounds angry and pissed off - I can easily imagine some distorted NIN style vocals spitting bloody murder over the top of it.

I wasn't expecting this and I really like it. like others said synths too loud over drums, but you say you fixed it. Compelling gnarly feel. outro kinds reminds me of Skip Spence's "Sunshine of your love" freak out at the end of War In Peace -- in a good away! :)

Drums sound good now, to me. They have that 'in the next empty room' sound. Reminded me of a David Bowie interview where he mentioned how he'd set up a mic in the studio, then put the guitar amp down a long hallway in the room at the end, about 30-40 ft away.

Was that some backwards stuff around the 1:15 mark? I like it.

Drums sound good now, to me. They have that 'in the next empty room' sound. Reminded me of a David Bowie interview where he mentioned how he'd set up a mic in the studio, then put the guitar amp down a long hallway in the room at the end, about 30-40 ft away.
Pretty cool, the same method was applied to his vocals also..

“On the song Heroes, Visconti set up three mics, one in front of Bowie, one 15 feet away and another down the hall at a much longer distance. Visconti put gates on the two distant mics, so Bowie’s deep voice in the early verses wouldn’t open them up. But his loud voice opened mic two, and his screaming opened microphone three. With three mics going, all the reverb and reflection you hear comes from the room Bowie sang in.”

Pretty cool, the same method was applied to his vocals also..

“On the song Heroes, Visconti set up three mics, one in front of Bowie, one 15 feet away and another down the hall at a much longer distance. Visconti put gates on the two distant mics, so Bowie’s deep voice in the early verses wouldn’t open them up. But his loud voice opened mic two, and his screaming opened microphone three. With three mics going, all the reverb and reflection you hear comes from the room Bowie sang in.”

I remember that, too! Some good tidbits in that interview. Sadly, I listened to the interview when NPR aired it the day after his death.

Very cool Bulls - drums and synth sound really in your face and powerful, which I think something like this needs. No issues with the synth EQing to me. Enjoyed it!

Back