Instrumental sound-alikes - "Into the Great Wide Open" and "Give a Little Bit"

famous beagle

Instrumental sound-alikes - "Into the Great Wide Open" and "Give a Little Bit"

Would love to get some opinions on these mixes. They're to be featured in a book of mine called the Hal Leonard 12-string Guitar Method. There are no vocals on these (and won't be).

Thanks!

Attachments

• HL12SM_Track_34_Give_a_Little_Bit_12-string_included.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • HL12SM_Track_87_Into_the_Great_Wide_Open_12-string_included.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
Love it-Was just watching Roger Hodgson in the last week-"Night of the Proms" to be specific. Your acoustics sound great and sounds like you play the parts faithfully. Really clean relaxed sound. Click track included!

The Petty song same thing-great sound and faithful to the originals. Really nice chord progression even without vocals, that G-C-G hook is so simple but effective. So what guitars are you using? I remember you have a simon and patrick or a seagull? which im a big fan of.

Sounds excellent!

Love it-Was just watching Roger Hodgson in the last week-"Night of the Proms" to be specific. Your acoustics sound great and sounds like you play the parts faithfully. Really clean relaxed sound. Click track included!

The Petty song same thing-great sound and faithful to the originals. Really nice chord progression even without vocals, that G-C-G hook is so simple but effective. So what guitars are you using? I remember you have a simon and patrick or a seagull? which im a big fan of.

Sounds excellent!

Thanks! Yes I used a Seagull Walnut 12 (I have a Seagull S6 as well) and my Danelectro electric 12 on these. I don't have a Rick, so I used my Strat for the solos on "Into the Great Wide Open." Mike Campbell's vibrato is really hard for me to emulate. It's much faster than I would normally do.

Sounds great to me. (Where the hell is my thumbs up button on my phone)
:D
Both sound pretty damn accurate in feel, sounds, vibe, etc.

Kind of funny and ironic with the passing of Tom to hear one of his tunes without him singing.
Almost prophetic.

Great job. :thumbs up:

Edit: found it :)

Sounds great to me. (Where the hell is my thumbs up button on my phone)
:D
Both sound pretty damn accurate in feel, sounds, vibe, etc.

Kind of funny and ironic with the passing of Tom to hear one of his tunes without him singing.
Almost prophetic.

Great job. :thumbs up:

Edit: found it :)

Thanks very much! Yes, the Petty tune was especially poignant to work on. I had selected that tune for the book a while ago--before he died--and I had to save it for the very last one to record. He was one of my heroes.

Nice! Yes very true to the originals. The 12-strings sound beautiful. You've really captured the essence of two great songs

Duuuude, the actoustics sound amazing. Excellent work, particularly Wide Open. Nothing to offer here but good remarks!

I listened to the Supertramp one.

I liked the 12 string sound. Pleasing to the ear. Was the double tracking that loose on Supertramp's version? It seems purposely loose here. Other guitars sound nice.

Bass sound is excellent also.

Drums are a little programmy. But not bad.

I listened to the Supertramp one.

I liked the 12 string sound. Pleasing to the ear. Was the double tracking that loose on Supertramp's version? It seems purposely loose here. Other guitars sound nice.

Bass sound is excellent also.

Drums are a little programmy. But not bad.

Thanks for the listen and comments. I'm not sure about the double on the original. To be honest, my double was looser than I originally thought it was going to be. It felt ok while I was tracking it, and I never really went back and listened to the two of them together until it was mixing time. I will say that it's more noticeable in headphones. And I think it would be less noticeable with vocals, too. Once the back kicks in, I don't really notice it at all.

Yeah it sounds great. Acoustics sound really good and just like acoustics should sound strummed as far as the tone.
The only thing a bit off is when both acoustics are strummed in Give a Little Bit the timing is slightly off. This is fine and expected, but since it's instrumental it stands out more, and it actually gave me a sense the acoustic was moving around (maybe double check your automation panning to make sure nothing weird happened by accident). Otherwise they're both great.

Yeah it sounds great. Acoustics sound really good and just like acoustics should sound strummed as far as the tone.
The only thing a bit off is when both acoustics are strummed in Give a Little Bit the timing is slightly off. This is fine and expected, but since it's instrumental it stands out more, and it actually gave me a sense the acoustic was moving around (maybe double check your automation panning to make sure nothing weird happened by accident). Otherwise they're both great.

Thanks. I'll double-check the panning on "Give a Little Bit." I think it's most likely an illusion, but I'll check it again to be sure.

Really nice clean , clear acoustic 12 sound on the Tramp song ;very tasty The Danelectro on the Petty sounded really good as well . Both were a pleasure to listen to . Thanks for posting , and good luck with the book

Sorry for the delay. I've been sick with the flu.

sparky123: Thanks! I'm not sure which song you're asking on, but on both of them, the acoustic 12 was doubled, and they remained panned the same (L and R) throughout.

Cellar Rat: Thanks much for the listen. When I first got the Dano, the intonation was horrible; I mean the instrument was simply unplayable. It was as though they didn't even bother with setting it up at all. Once I adjusted that, though, it turned into a great instrument overnight! :) It must have slipped through the cracks or something.

Sounds great - lovely 12-string sound. I think the weak link (a pattern I'm starting to notice on here) is the drum sounds, rather than the programming. Could you afford one of those big new drum VSTs (BFD/Superior Drummer?) that has Round Robin samples etc? I just think the brain fatigues really quickly if it's hearing the same samples triggered over and over on real drums and it starts to get quite 80's Casio home keyboard - even if the samples themselves are good.

Sounds great - lovely 12-string sound. I think the weak link (a pattern I'm starting to notice on here) is the drum sounds, rather than the programming. Could you afford one of those big new drum VSTs (BFD/Superior Drummer?) that has Round Robin samples etc? I just think the brain fatigues really quickly if it's hearing the same samples triggered over and over on real drums and it starts to get quite 80's Casio home keyboard - even if the samples themselves are good.

Thanks for the input. I used EZDrummer 2 for these tracks. I know that it does incorporate some round robins, but perhaps not as much as Superior Drummer.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me in the least. Half the songs you hear on the radio sound like the same snare hit over and over to me. And if it's a drum machine, then that is what you're getting. It doesn't seem to bug all the people that listen to dance music, etc.

I don't listen to dance music, but it doesn't seem to bother me.

That said, I do record real drums for my own music when I have a drummer available. I'm happy with the sound I get on kick, snare, and cymbals, but I do struggle with good tom sounds.

Yeah it's weird people bash drum machines but it only seems to be in the rock genre. I don't get it. The guy in Big Black, Steve Albini (who went on to engineer Nirvana), said he preferred drum machines because they always show up on time and play in time.

Back