Indie folk rock - "Standard Protocol"

You did that on your newly repaired free 388? :D

Sounds good. For all the track combining given the limited track availability of 8 track tape, the separation is real good.

Funny, but reading some of the comments they seem to assume you're running a DAW and have access to those tools. Lol :D
Lots of people forget or don't know about the limitations of 8 tracks and whatever limited outboard gear you have.
It's not like on protools where you can have an 1176 style compressor on as many channels as you can create.
Nope! This is old school. Tape, baby, tape. :D

This song fits right into your thread about 'vintage sounding' recordings as a good example.

For me, I share the views of others saying there's a bit too much high end.

But I'd bet if this was cut onto vinyl, that high end would be tamed a bit and on a good old school stereo this would sound great.

As to comments about the drums being buried.......Well, it's a good vintage sounding recording.

:D

Thanks! Yes, this is the first tune I've done on the new 388. I learned a lot in the process, and hopefully the next one will sound better and be easier. It took a good bit of planning with regards to the track separation you refer to. Also, I tried to never waste an opportunity to add a track if I could. For example, while I was bouncing some combined tracks back onto a stereo pair of the 388, I would add a live part that was pretty easy to nail in one take. Because of that, I only used one external bounce for the whole song.

I think I simply overshot it with the high end because I kept thinking I was going to lose so much of it in the bounce(s); I originally thought it was going to take more than one bounce. But it retained more highs than I thought it would.

It's really interesting to hear different people's take on it. One person (I can't remember who right now) said they couldn't hear what the kick was doing. I was worried that maybe the kick was quite a bit too loud because I can hear it clear as day! :)

What is this tune mixed to? Obviously some digital device since we are able to hear it on our computers and phones.

I bet any excessive highs could be tweeked in the digital mix or mastering stage

What is this tune mixed to? Obviously some digital device since we are able to hear it on our computers and phones.

I bet any excessive highs could be tweeked in the digital mix or mastering stage

I just mixed it to Reaper. I don't have a good half track machine, so I just have to use digital for the final mixdown.

I could certainly mess with it there, but there are a few instrument levels and things I'd like to adjust first anyway, so I have to thread it up again, regardless. :)

Back