I'm in a remix contest and need opinions!

propman

Hey guys.
One of my favorite bands DEVO put two of their songs (their classic "Freedom Of Coice" and/or "What We Do" off their new album) up for remix at BeatPortal.com.

Natrually I wanted to enter, which I did. The problem is that I'm a total nervous wreck. People that remember me will know that I do covers and originals but I have never remixed anything! Ever!

Now, it looks like I won't be able to make changes to the mix after the deadline (which was 12:00 am Nov. 16th) but I really want your opinions. Whether you like or dislike it I really want to hear what you think.

What We Do (The Insomnia Mix)

The Original Mix (for comparison)

-Adam.

P.S. If it's not too cheap I'd like to ask my friends on here to register and vote for my remix if you like it. If not, that's ok. Check out some of the other contestants.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to have to say this but I'm unsure as to if I'm going to come back to this site. I used to have some really good friends here who always gave me honest feedback on my music and I would do the same. Nobody as of late seems to care that I exist. I've made three different posts in the past month or so and none of them have gotten any replies. I don't know what the deal is. How did I go from respected member to a leper?

-Adam.

No offence but youve posted three times since July and i dont see you commenting on anyone elses songs, that would taken you 15 mins and perked some interest with people who dont know you or your music

to be honest I never saw the thread, I generally catch the few at the top, and even then I only comment on those who bother to listen to my stuff if I dont have time...or Id be here all day listening to tracks to folks who arent active in the community..Im sure others are the same

That being said I remember your tracks, they were excellent..I hope your mix does well

No offence but youve posted three times since July and i dont see you commenting on anyone elses songs, that would taken you 15 mins and perked some interest with people who dont know you or your music

to be honest I never saw the thread, I generally catch the few at the top, and even then I only comment on those who bother to listen to my stuff if I dont have time...or Id be here all day listening to tracks to folks who arent active in the community..Im sure others are the same

That being said I remember your tracks, they were excellent..I hope your mix does well

I'm sorry for my rant. I'm just not feeling very great. It's just seemed like nobody but me really cares about my music anymore. I don't just mean here. I'm just kind of having a self-faith issue. I used to comment on peoples stuff all the time. I've been meaning to but I just haven't had the time lately and I feel like I did now it would just seem like I was doing it so people would listen to me. That wouldn't be fair.

-Adam.

ADam,
One prob may be server error. I can't get through with the link you've put up.
It's been a while since you were here. I had to visit your vids on the Tub to get some gas in my airbag.

ADam,
One prob may be server error. I can't get through with the link you've put up.
It's been a while since you were here. I had to visit your vids on the Tub to get some gas in my airbag.

Man I feel dumb...I put the link in wrong. Maybe a dead link has something to do with lack of interest huh? Well I fixed it. It should work fine now. Anyway, I'm glad you kept in touch Rayc. I'm gonna go catch up on what I've missed.

-Adam.

Adam, I'm listening on cheap phones, but I really think it it sounds good. Very nice separation, everything in its place, good EQing and a nice punch. I don't think you should be worried at all, you did a great job, whatever the outcome. You said you were happy with the way way it turned out and that's what matters.

I'm sorry for my rant. I'm just not feeling very great. It's just seemed like nobody but me really cares about my music anymore.

Lol. Calm down man. Expecting that people should care about your music is a naive attitude to have and will keep you feeling disappointed. Do it for yourself because you like it. If someone else likes it, great, if they don't, fuck em.

This is the first thread I've seen from you in a long time. I was wondering what happened to you. You used to put up a new song every week almost. There are a lot of new faces in here since the french took over. And with it being the holiday season there's gonna be lots more with people getting new mics and interfaces and shit. It's easy to get lost in the shuffle. The solution: participate. I get a lot of useful feedback on my stuff and I'm sure most of those people don't particularly like my music. But I listen and give feedback to a lot of other people's stuff in here, so I assume they're returning the favor. If you have the time, just participate and get "known" in here again.

Your mix sounds good. I don't know the original, but it sounds fine to me. No nits.

Lol. Calm down man. Expecting that people should care about your music is a naive attitude to have and will keep you feeling disappointed. Do it for yourself because you like it. If someone else likes it, great, if they don't, fuck em.

This is the first thread I've seen from you in a long time. I was wondering what happened to you. You used to put up a new song every week almost. There are a lot of new faces in here since the french took over. And with it being the holiday season there's gonna be lots more with people getting new mics and interfaces and shit. It's easy to get lost in the shuffle. The solution: participate. I get a lot of useful feedback on my stuff and I'm sure most of those people don't particularly like my music. But I listen and give feedback to a lot of other people's stuff in here, so I assume they're returning the favor. If you have the time, just participate and get "known" in here again.

Your mix sounds good. I don't know the original, but it sounds fine to me. No nits.
It wasn't really a remix in terms of actual mixing. It was more of a rethink. I flipped around vocals, took out all of the instruments (beisdes the snare and the kick which I altered) and changed the whole chord structure and instrumentation.

As for the whole "nobody cares" thing, I do music mostly for myself. I guess getting a pat on the back every once in a while makes me more driven to do it though. I know that probably sounds stupid or self indulgent but my opinion of my own music is very critical. I love every song I've written, don't get me wrong but knowing other people do makes it a bit easier to. You know?

I know that I can't just dissapear and return expecting a fan fair. That would be completely stupid. It just kind of bugged me that I didn't get anything. Not even "ehh...heard better". I know you're right though. Being an active member is important, which I plan to be again. It was a lot of fun. I got a lot of help from the members here and I think I may have helped a bit myself. That's what this place is all about and I'm very thankful that it exists.

And Greg, you know that I've always loved your music. one of my favorite songs is your cover of "Sloop John B". It was really well reimagined and executed. You're really talented!

-Adam.

Hey Adam...don't walk away man. We just haven't heard a lot of tunes from you lately.

I'm sorry to say I haven't had time to listen to your remix yet and am on my way to work now, but I'm pretty sure we'd all like to hear more tunes from you. I didn't notice any other recent posts from you. Things have a way of flying off the front page, you know?

My kids have even asked about you...I think they refer to you as "that kid from texas"...and they're only 8 and 10! No disrespect intended :).

I would've chosen Freedom of Choice, but I'm guessing you did a great job with this.

A lot of us have music that no one but ourselves really care about (not saying that's necessarily the case with you), but we keep at it nonetheless. You are young and talented...you should stick around.

Hey Adam...don't walk away man. We just haven't heard a lot of tunes from you lately.

I'm sorry to say I haven't had time to listen to your remix yet and am on my way to work now, but I'm pretty sure we'd all like to hear more tunes from you. I didn't notice any other recent posts from you. Things have a way of flying off the front page, you know?

My kids have even asked about you...I think they refer to you as "that kid from texas"...and they're only 8 and 10! No disrespect intended :).

I would've chosen Freedom of Choice, but I'm guessing you did a great job with this.

A lot of us have music that no one but ourselves really care about (not saying that's necessarily the case with you), but we keep at it nonetheless. You are young and talented...you should stick around.
Hey Heat! I'm really glad you're still around. You're one of the coolest people here. We still need to work on a collab.

No disrespect taken at all. That's actually a really cool story. I love being "that kid from texas". Heck, that might be my next album's name. I'm glad you kids like my music.

I was going to do freedom of choice as well, but it turned out the multitrack wasn't original so I picked the other one. If you have a chance to listen to any of their new stuff, do! It's fantastic!

-Adam.

Adam, I'm listening on cheap phones, but I really think it it sounds good. Very nice separation, everything in its place, good EQing and a nice punch. I don't think you should be worried at all, you did a great job, whatever the outcome. You said you were happy with the way way it turned out and that's what matters.
Sorry man, I didn't even see your post. Thanks a lot! I most likely mixed it with cheap headphones, so it probably sounds best through them! :D
I know that's what matters. It's easy to forget though.

-Adam

Good work propman. I'm not mad keen on Devo, but the remix is very nicely done and I actually prefer it to the original.

I'm sorry for my rant. I'm just not feeling very great. It's just seemed like nobody but me really cares about my music anymore. I don't just mean here. I'm just kind of having a self-faith issue. I used to comment on peoples stuff all the time. I've been meaning to but I just haven't had the time lately and I feel like I did now it would just seem like I was doing it so people would listen to me. That wouldn't be fair.

-Adam.

See man they all come out the woodwork ;) lol

I find mentioning Nazis, nude women, and/or the word fuck in the thread title generally arouses attention..

Mix was good...no nits, enjoyed it...dunno devo much but more bassoon please :D

Good work propman. I'm not mad keen on Devo, but the remix is very nicely done and I actually prefer it to the original.
Wow, thank you very much! That means a lot. Devo's great, check out the song "Happy Guy". It's just about my favorite. I might cover it. That or "The Day My Baby Gave Me A Supprise". Thanks again!

See man they all come out the woodwork ;) lol

I find mentioning Nazis, nude women, and/or the word fuck in the thread title generally arouses attention..

Mix was good...no nits, enjoyed it...dunno devo much but more bassoon please :D
Well, I did write a song called "Fucking Nude Nazi Women". Should I have posted that? :D Thanks a lot. Though you may be joking, I like the bassoon very much.

-Adam.

Ok, I did finally check your remix and it sounds fine. No issues here. I've never heard that tune before. Not sure what I think of it, but after listening to most of the original I think I prefer yours a bit.

Freedom of Choice is one of my favs of theirs. I guess they didn't offer up the original version? Anyway, that one is on a short list of future covers...

Nice job on this. Good luck.

Ok, I did finally check your remix and it sounds fine. No issues here. I've never heard that tune before. Not sure what I think of it, but after listening to most of the original I think I prefer yours a bit.

Freedom of Choice is one of my favs of theirs. I guess they didn't offer up the original version? Anyway, that one is on a short list of future covers...

Nice job on this. Good luck.
Future covers? Are you talking about my previous post?

No, they didn't offer up the original. It doesn't exist. The multitracks were lost or recorded over. It's still them, but his voice has a really low timber and contrasts too much with the original for my taste. Musically, not really...But vocally yeah.

-Adam.

I'm sorry to have to say this but I'm unsure as to if I'm going to come back to this site. I used to have some really good friends here who always gave me honest feedback on my music and I would do the same. Nobody as of late seems to care that I exist. I've made three different posts in the past month or so and none of them have gotten any replies. I don't know what the deal is. How did I go from respected member to a leper?

-Adam.

youve posted three times since July and i dont see you commenting on anyone elses songs,
Amazing how that works, huh???? Every time someone says something about not getting any help here, it always turns out that they haven't posted much to help anyone either.

.....and I like The Propman. He has contributed quite a bit here over the years..... I'm just sayin.......

Now, having said that, I can see where he's coming from when it comes to posting. I often go a long time between listening to other people's stuff. Then, when I post something of my own, I feel that if I start going through the forum commenting on other people's stuff, it will look as if I'm only doing it so that people will post in my thread. Sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So, what I do is start commenting on other people's stuff a day before I think my song will be ready. :D

Last edited:
its all about the pre planning...I have half a dozen aliases I use to comment on my own stuff...anytime you see kick or bass being mentioned its one of my aliases :)

Back