Im Back With a New Attitude re: Dynamic Range w "Away From It All" plz give FB

Crazy Luke

Im Back With a New Attitude re: Dynamic Range w "Away From It All" plz give FB

I've come to realize that I've overcooked my previous mixes do to bad listening environments, so I'm using my ears AND eyes with metering. Let me know about my latest effort on a previously posted tune, "Away From It All"
thx

Attachments

• Away From It All Mix 69 .mp3
    7 MB · Views: 17
I liked this song the first time I heard it. Took me back to my band days. Has that 80's vibe. Great vocals. My only crit is I think the kick is a little too hot. It sounds good I just think it's dominating the song.

Excellent - the sonics are great on this. The whole thing is smooth - easy to listen to and has a pro sound. The only thing that popped up was the spoken part seemed a tiny bit loud as compared to the rest of the song. Other than that one of the best mix jobs I've heard here. Dynamics are great BTW - as this was one of your questions....

I had a quick listen on headphones (HD280Pro) and it sounds pretty good. You've made a huge improvement overall in the feel of your mixes, especially with how you use compression.

One relatively minor detail. It's generally considered a good idea to leave .1 to .3dB of headroom to accommodate intersample peaking. I'd recommend getting the SSL X-ISM (intersample meter) and TT DR Meter (dynamic range) plugins. Put them on the main bus after any other plugins. The DR Meter download also comes with an offline version that will analyze a stereo file (.mp3 or 44.1/16 .wav).

Sounds like Foghat meets Rush.

I'm sesning something odd about the panning of the guitars. It just doesn't sound very wide/full and equal. this isn't my genre though, so that could be a preference thing. The solo is great and the tone is excellent, though I think the chugging riff guitar could use some beef.

the ooohs and ahhs sound fantastic. what's your vocal chain, if you care to share it.

edit: the spoken word part needs work. it's rather boomy and out of place in tone, IMO.

Bruthish "My only crit is I think the kick is a little too hot. It sounds good I just think it's dominating the song". I brought the kick down a bit - More?

ido1957 "The only thing that popped up was the spoken part seemed a tiny bit loud as compared to the rest of the song". I automated that down

bouldersoundguy "It's generally considered a good idea to leave .1 to .3dB of headroom to accommodate intersample peaking. I'd recommend getting the SSL X-ISM (intersample meter) and TT DR Meter (dynamic range) plugins. Put them on the main bus after any other plugins." I now have it at .3 - I use the Sonalksis Free G meter on the main buss, and the TTDR meter to check my results offline

andrushkiwt "the ooohs and ahhs sound fantastic. what's your vocal chain, if you care to share it."
I'll let you in on a little secret, but don't tell anyone else (on this open forum available to the world), I mix in, slightly, my Korg 05r/w module's "ahhs" in a bit with the live vocalist who have been "melodyned". I also use some soft saturation, and my favorite reverb plug-in, Revererate

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. It's so nice to talk about the balances of each instrument in my mixes now, as opposed to how I've over-compressed and slammed everything.

Attachments

• Away From It All Mix 70.mp3
    9.4 MB · Views: 8
bouldersoundguy "It's generally considered a good idea to leave .1 to .3dB of headroom to accommodate intersample peaking. I'd recommend getting the SSL X-ISM (intersample meter) and TT DR Meter (dynamic range) plugins. Put them on the main bus after any other plugins." I now have it at .3 - I use the Sonalksis Free G meter on the main buss, and the TTDR meter to check my results offline

Okay. The SSL X-ISM is designed to show you when your audio might clip on certain devices, even if you don't hear it on yours. Some DACs don't have the headroom to accommodate intersample peaks so they clip and add distortion to the audio. I don't see it as a huge problem but it's an easy fix.

Since the kick did come up of course I listened for it and it does punch quite hard. Never noticed it being an issue before or V70 so I'm voting OK there. Spoken word is so close to perfect but still a hair louder than the the singing in my mind. Much better though in V70 tham V69. Maybe I'm being too picky lol but this is such a good tune I want it to be perfect (and it's not even my mix lol)....

Bruthish and others, let me know if this recent mix is better

Attachments

• Away from it All Mix 76.mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 5
Back