If you listen to this I'll buy you a BEER *

Hegs

*Pending platinum sales. But now that you happen to be here... ;)

I know it was only a few days ago that you all generously reviewed a mix for me but Ive been beavering away and got another of my self-produced EP songs mixed which I'd reaaaally like your thoughts on. This one has been a royal ASS to mix compared to the last one.. dont know why.. more dynamics.. more battling frequencies.. anyway I think I've got it to a good neutral ground for a good master which will hopefully add a bit of oomph (cus i think thats what it really needs..ooomph) But what are your thoughts?

Also interesting in thoughts on the actual song..what works and what doesnt. Id potentially like to cut about 30 seconds off it for radio edit.

At the moment just very light la2a style compression on the stereo bus and a non-attenuating L2 to bring up the level.

Thanks again, really couldnt do it without all the feedback from you internet folk. Only one more track left after this, I promise :Thumbsup:

SONG (stream mp3 or download for wav):
test mix song 2

Last edited:
*Pending platinum sales. But now that you happen to be here... ;)

I know it was only a few days ago that you all generously reviewed a mix for me but Ive been beavering away and got another of my self-produced EP songs mixed which I'd reaaaally like your thoughts on. This one has been a royal ASS to mix compared to the last one.. dont know why.. more dynamics.. more battling frequencies.. anyway I think I've got it to a good neutral ground for a good master which will hopefully add a bit of oomph (cus i think thats what it really needs..ooomph) But what are your thoughts?

Also interesting in thoughts on the actual song..what works and what doesnt. Id potentially like to cut about 30 seconds off it for radio edit.

At the moment just very light la2a style compression on the stereo bus and a non-attenuating L2 to bring up the level.

Thanks again, really couldnt do it without all the feedback from you internet folk. Only one more track left after this, I promise :Thumbsup:

SONG (stream mp3 or download for wav):
test mix song 2

it sounds very good, it just needs mastering I think then it would glue nicely together, I think this would turn out a great sounding master. I'd possibly turn the rhythm guitar down a hair at 1:58, that's the only thing I could fault. You've done a great gob on the mix though.

look forward to the beer :D

kick ass track,really enjoyed it :D

got great feel,love how it builds,starts whimpy and builds to power :D ..

mix is getting there,just general levels .. imo reach for the vol fader automation rather than comp ...

radio edit ? lop the whimpy bit off the end ;) .. could even lop some off the beginning,track would still make an impact :)

awesome! I love the echo drums at the start.

And I just think the vocals sometimes dies and then it comes out through at times.

Very nice. I have nothing to add to the above comments. I really enjoyed the tune. Reminiscent of some old 90's Britpop band.

Very good! :thumbs up:

Once it gets going you sound like the bloke Gaz, from Supergrass.
I like it.
The hard panned guitars could come down a tiny bit when they are at the loud section.
The 1st solo, (at the change), doesn't really have any impact.
This is pretty cool - I was concerned about the non real drumming, (toms and snare happening at the same time), but once the song was bouncing it wasn't an issue any more.
Interesting ending.

Once it gets going you sound like the bloke Gaz, from Supergrass.
I like it.
The hard panned guitars could come down a tiny bit when they are at the loud section.
The 1st solo, (at the change), doesn't really have any impact.
This is pretty cool - I was concerned about the non real drumming, (toms and snare happening at the same time), but once the song was bouncing it wasn't an issue any more.
Interesting ending.

ha.. but drums are real...! (there are 4 bars where i overdubbed a hihat).. but snare/tom stuff all real, same take.

Great track. Vocals reminds me a bit of Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley, not that surprising though since you obviously like them. Mix is also good.

I'm having to listen on phones tonight, but this sounds really good man. I wish I could provide you with some insight, but I'm afraid it's beyond me at this stage. Drums, bass, guitars and vocals are all there - tastefully represented and sounding good.

In terms of shortening it...I guess I did think the very ending was superfluous. You could end it around 4:41 and I don't think anyone would feel cheated, you know? I don't mind the ending at all, but you seem to be looking for dead weight somewhere.

I listened with your comment re: oomph in mind, so I kinda focused on how to help with that. I think there is something missing in the bottom end, but I'm not sure I know how to get around it. It seems to want some emphasis from the kick, at least on the big beats, and maybe a bit more impact from the tom. But you don't want to get too far off from that nice natural feel that you've got. Do you have some close mics that you could maybe bring in subtly for the bigger parts?

I wanted a bit more edge at times, too. It seems like you did a nice job carving out the high mids for the vocals to have clarity through the guitars, but I wonder if you didn't go just a little too far, and lost whatever real bite might have been in the mix.

I don't like those crash cymbals. Part of it might be the lower resolution of the bandcamp stream, but I think I just don't like when and how they're played. I'm funny that way, though.

I hate the idea of putting anything off to mastering. If your mix is lacking something, you need to fix it now. Mastering engineers love billing for absolutely nothing. ;)

But at a certain point if you as mix engineer are this close to done, you have to stop and consult with the producer (even if that's you) and ask if you're maybe looking for something in the mix that you just can't get out of the arrangement. Maybe this song just doesn't have oomph or edge. It sounds great as it is. Maybe it's just done.

Good work man! I think it would be better without the claps in the beginning and the end. Other than that it was great!

Back