If I Knew - Bruno Mars

highriser

Hey guys,
Here is my rendition of If I knew by Bruno Mars. Lemme know what you guys think and how I can improve. Just so that there is no confusion, this is a vocal cover. So it is my vocals over a backing track.

Thanks

View attachment If I knew.mp3

Last edited:
I wasn't sure. Because I am not asking about my singing technique, I am asking about the mix of this track. So I think it belongs here.

Oh right. I personally wouldn't think putting a vocal on to a karaoke track was mixing, but each to their own.

:thumbs up:

Why do you have to be so condescending? I didn't write my mixing ability, I wrote "the mix of this track". Would you argue that this track isn't mixed?

But thank you for your arrogant comment that does zero good for anyone except maybe your ego.

Condescending? Really? I was voicing an opinion. Believe it or not, people are allowed to.

I would argue that the track isn't mixed as putting a vocal on top of something isn't really mixing, is it? It's just putting a vocal on top of something.

No ego here pal. :thumbs up:

For what it's worth, I've never heard the original and I couldn't name a single song by Bruno Mars. (Was he on the X Factor or something like that?) The vocals sound very nice but seem to be battling for a place in the backing track in certain places where the backing builds. (Which is often the case with this kind of "mix")

Why do you have to be so condescending? I didn't write my mixing ability, I wrote "the mix of this track". Would you argue that this track isn't mixed?

But thank you for your arrogant comment that does zero good for anyone except maybe your ego.

To be fair, it was just a statement that a voice over a background track is less mixing (more tracks of sound) rather than just getting the vocals to sit in the mix. Most people just want to know if their singing sounds good.

I don't think it was meant to be condescending or arrogant just is this the right place so you get the answer you are looking for.

Thank you for finally giving me some useful advice. Arrogant or not your comments earlier really offered nothing useful. So would you suggest riding the vocal so that it comes through in those places?

Alright DM60 so my question here is: How is my vocal sitting in the backing track? If the answer is not well, then can you come up with some ideas to improve on it?

Thank you for finally giving me some useful advice. Arrogant or not your comments earlier really offered nothing useful. So would you suggest riding the vocal so that it comes through in those places?

Well maybe if it was posted in the Singing & Vocals forum you'd get advice from others who actually do the same as what you're dong. I would say 99% of the people posting in the mixing forum are recording and mixing all the tracks in a project. You could start a thread asking for ways to make vocals sit better on a backing track? That's what I'd do. If you can't find one to join, create one.

Anyway, in a mix of all the tracks you would create a space for the vocals to sit with EQ by cutting certain frequencies of the individual tracks, guitars, keyboards, etc. I honestly can't say how that would work with a backing track as you would be cutting the frequencies out of every instrument (drums, bass, etc) and I can't imagine it would sound very good, if at all it actually worked. Someone else might give better advice with that having more experience of this kind of situation.

Good luck with it though :thumbs up:

Back