I Will Not Listen To Your Song, But Listen To Mine

Hey Chris. What up my friend? I'll check this tonight when I get to where I can do some critical listening.

Thanks very much. It's not worth it, but I appreciate it. I think after re-writing it, retracking it, and changing large portions of the mix, the only parts I hate now are the drums, the bass and most of the vocal. It's practically done!

All this mixing for a song nobody will listen to but me! haha. Truth is, after 15 years of mixing, the only thing I've ever done that was heard by anybody is a live track I did with my law partner about marijuana. Apparently, fuck mixing; I just need to write novelty songs.

Link To My 15 Mins of Fame

Thanks very much. It's not worth it, but I appreciate it. I think after re-writing it, retracking it, and changing large portions of the mix, the only parts I hate now are the drums, the bass and most of the vocal. It's practically done!

All this mixing for a song nobody will listen to but me! haha. Truth is, after 15 years of mixing, the only thing I've ever done that was heard by anybody is a live track I did with my law partner about marijuana. Apparently, fuck mixing; I just need to write novelty songs.

Link To My 15 Mins of Fame

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago. funny.

Much better on the LA song. I like the switch with the guitars. Did you mic the acoustic with the $35 mic? It sounds like it, sorry to say. A little tweaking on the mix and put it to bed.

I think the bass tone sounds good for this song. It's not an aggressive part, but doesn't need to be. It sounds like you're using EZDrummer 1. You should try the upgrade to EZD2 if you haven't done so. It sounds better and you have more choices for canned groove files. When I was using EZD1, I made a lot of edits and tweaks, with EZD2, I just let it go. I'm contemplating buying an edrum set to trigger ezd2. That'll be fun, ya think??

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago. funny.

Much better on the LA song. I like the switch with the guitars. Did you mic the acoustic with the $35 mic? It sounds like it, sorry to say. A little tweaking on the mix and put it to bed.

I think the bass tone sounds good for this song. It's not an aggressive part, but doesn't need to be. It sounds like you're using EZDrummer 1. You should try the upgrade to EZD2 if you haven't done so. It sounds better and you have more choices for canned groove files. When I was using EZD1, I made a lot of edits and tweaks, with EZD2, I just let it go. I'm contemplating buying an edrum set to trigger ezd2. That'll be fun, ya think??

You nailed it 100%. Recorded the acoustic with a $35 dynamic mic, and that is ezdrummer 1. I think I'm one of the few people on earth who actually bought it. Thanks for the recommendation. I will grab ezd2.

I gotta' say, it's been kind of a good challenge to start over with no gear. But there's no amount of "mic placement" that will make me like this sm57 clone on an acoustic guitar. Sounds like I sang and played through a pillow....but with piercing sibilance, ha!

cool song, well constructed and catchy. reminds me of fountains of wayne, but that's just me.....Needs a better mix, but you say this is a scratch. and I'm with you about trying to record bass...I'm also a guitarist who pretends to play bass

I enjoyed it very much. The vocal is unique, personal and skilled. The guitars sound fantastic. The guitar solo, though great in its ideas, has some notes that are a little pitchy. (Who cares? It just makes it sound live.) Drums sound good, not like software. Only suggestion I have is to toss it in a skillet and sauté in butter. Just for a minute. That always makes things better. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
I remember you, I think it's a good song and mix. The song gets across, what more can you ask for. The distorted guitar sticks out a bit much for me and it all sounds a bit dry but these are only my personal nit picks. It's loud and clear and covers the spectrum, though maybe a bit high endy for my tastes, but I loves my bass. Thumbs up.

I wonder into here every once in a blue moon, and as I live and breath a Chris Harris post in the clinic!

I just might have to cry.

Good production value, the tracks sound good, not crazy about the mix once you get beyond the basics, kind of diamond shaped, hard to explain. I miss listening to your songs dude.

Back