I really need Help! please?

lilseez

Hello, I have been getting into rapping I reckon i have the talent however, my mixing skills and mastering is not good at all.. How can improve the overall sound of my vocals and master better. I am recording plainly using a blue yeti attached straight into my laptop (no sound box) I record in my room and I use a program called mixcraft. Anybody could give me some feedback.. I am willing to spend money on equipment regardless of the price. I want a good professional sounding singles.
Thank :D
Here is the track that I am working on.

Attachments

• aint got shit to say.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 31
To me the biggest problem in the vocal is it's lacking in the low mid-range. It sounds pretty thin. It's a personal taste thing because I hear a lot of modern music with a vocal this thin. But to me it needs to be fuller. So if you made any EQ cuts to the vocal below 1K, I'd take them out. Alternatively, you might want to experiment with small EQ boosts somewhere between 200hz and 400hz. If you can get closer to the mic, I'd retrack that way. Or a different mic might help.

Yeah, I would also say maybe try a different mic. There is something going wrong..it almost sounds like there is a "telephone" filter effect being used on it. Did you add any effects or anything?

To me the biggest problem in the vocal is it's lacking in the low mid-range. It sounds pretty thin. It's a personal taste thing because I hear a lot of modern music with a vocal this thin. But to me it needs to be fuller. So if you made any EQ cuts to the vocal below 1K, I'd take them out. Alternatively, you might want to experiment with small EQ boosts somewhere between 200hz and 400hz. If you can get closer to the mic, I'd retrack that way. Or a different mic might help.

Hello, thanks for the reply, I was attempting to get the "live performance" effect like the one in garage band not sure if you're familiar with that one. Also, I have 3 backing tracks with were recorded, 3 times. I did mess with the EQ, I added a few print screens of how the EQs look like

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 43
  • second.jpg
    second.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 43
  • third.jpg
    third.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, I would also say maybe try a different mic. There is something going wrong..it almost sounds like there is a "telephone" filter effect being used on it. Did you add any effects or anything?

Would you recommend any new mics for hip-hop music?

I would recommend a new approach. It is obvious from your eq settings that you are trying to find something that you have a lack of experience trying to find. I am not being disrespectful. It just happens all the time.

A new mic will not necessarily help. I am just going to guess that you have not treated your room yet...

I would recommend a new approach. It is obvious from your eq settings that you are trying to find something that you have a lack of experience trying to find. I am not being disrespectful. It just happens all the time.

A new mic will not necessarily help. I am just going to guess that you have not treated your room yet...

Yes, You're right, I am pretty new to this and want to get advanced over time! So as I have been looking at other websites, they have been mentioning a pre amp, sound card and compressor. I was wondering if these equipment's are vital for professional sounding vocals?
Also, no modifications were made to my room. What type of modifications are we looking at here?

Yes, You're right, I am pretty new to this and want to get advanced over time! So as I have been looking at other websites, they have been mentioning a pre amp, sound card and compressor. I was wondering if these equipment's are vital for professional sounding vocals?
Also, no modifications were made to my room. What type of modifications are we looking at here?
I've made big projects with a Zoom H4n as the interface and cheap mics. There are many people here who have used cheap cheap stuff and also pros. The Gear is only as good as the user.
I know someone with a $10k+ studio, that includes a Neumann TLM103 and an Avalon 737 into protools. Their recordings are shit, they hired me to fix it all up.
The gear is only as good as the Engneer. I say stick with what you have, and learn learn learn. Soon enough you will know what you need and spend your money wisely. :)

Seriously man, You have to stop listening to people who say that you need the next big preamp or mic to make shit good. It does not work that way in the real world.

Yes those things can improve the quality of your input chain, but if you have not already addressed your monitoring chain and the room you listen to it/record in, then you will be chasing ghosts...

IMO; your most importance should start with the room you record in and the quality of the performance being recorded. Then the monitors you use to hear what is actually being recorded. Your monitoring ability is just as important as how good your performance or gear is. You can't possibly know what is good if you can't hear it correctly. Treat that room with as much bass absorption panels as possible. It really does not take much $$ to make it worthy. So many new doods will waste tons of money on gear and plugs before they take the most important step that any experienced studio owner/engineer/producer will tell you if they are honest or have a friggen clue.

Yes, a decent recording interface and quality mic are on the top of the list also, but if you are using those in a room that sucks and your monitoring chain is lame, you get a bunch of well directed signal that sounds like ass and you won't even have a way to know that.

Professional sounding vocals come from (in order of importance 'In My Opinion/Experience') performance of the vocalist, how the room sounds that it is recorded in, the experience of the engineer recording it making the decisions as to what is best as far as mic/preamp/blah blah. Then the silly things like compression and effects. Those are just frosting on the cake of what makes a good vocal. If it is not the shizz before it hits a microphone (or the pop filter before) it will likely suck. Or at least need lots of fixing BS.

On the budget end, we have to compensate for lack of big money. So we make sure to buy a decent interface with worthy preramps and a worthy mic. That could be a SM58. But, when we forget that the performance and the room is the most important, money get's spent on the wrong improvements. Room treatment and decent monitors are the most important to have a clue as to what the quality of anything going in is worth. This is not my opinion, it is absolute fact.

Read a bunch before you purchase so that you spend your money wisely, and listen to the members here that I have learned from.

I just thought I would add to this before I go to bed. I have been editing guitars and vocals for 5 hours before I made my previous post here. I am half way through a 6 song recording that will be added to six songs that were recorded previously. I likely have 10-20 more hours to get it finished. This is for a band that is well rehearsed and recorded in a well treated environment. There is much more to recording than just hitting the record button or using an effect. Just sayin...

Ears are more important than equipment. Look at your EQ curves - you've sucked out the bottom end - it sounds to me like maybe your monitoring really needs sorting - if your system is boosting the bass (as many people's hi-fis are set to do) then to your ears it sounds too much, and you cut it. We listen on optimised and hopefully neutral monitors and it sounds weedy. Play some music you have little experience of on your system, with the EQ flat - maybe something orchestral, or big band or jazz as these have fairly even flat responses as the norm - see if the bass jumps out at you - it shouldn't. If it does, tweak the monitors until it sounds flat - then play your mixed track, and you may then hear the thin sound we are getting.

I am willing to spend money on equipment regardless of the price. I want a good professional sounding singles.

If that really is the case, why not go to a professional studio?

Other than everything else mentioned here with regards to achieving 'that' sound you want, you need the knowledge of what you're doing. That comes with experience, experiment and time. If only it was as easy as plugging a Blue Yeti into a laptop and banging out the hits.

Jimmy's advice is GOLD here, read it, take it in. :thumbs up:

they have been mentioning a pre amp, sound card and compressor. I was wondering if these equipment's are vital for professional sounding vocals?

No, they are not. A preamp and soundcard won't improve your results in any meaningful way, and a hardware compressor won't do anything a plugin can't do just as effectively. Those pieces of equipment might give you subtly different results, but not better ones. I'll write more later, but wanted to throw that in here while I have a chance.

Seriously man, You have to stop listening to people who say that you need the next big preamp or mic to make shit good. It does not work that way in the real world.

Yes those things can improve the quality of your input chain, but if you have not already addressed your monitoring chain and the room you listen to it/record in, then you will be chasing ghosts...

IMO; your most importance should start with the room you record in and the quality of the performance being recorded. Then the monitors you use to hear what is actually being recorded. Your monitoring ability is just as important as how good your performance or gear is. You can't possibly know what is good if you can't hear it correctly. Treat that room with as much bass absorption panels as possible. It really does not take much $$ to make it worthy. So many new doods will waste tons of money on gear and plugs before they take the most important step that any experienced studio owner/engineer/producer will tell you if they are honest or have a friggen clue.

Yes, a decent recording interface and quality mic are on the top of the list also, but if you are using those in a room that sucks and your monitoring chain is lame, you get a bunch of well directed signal that sounds like ass and you won't even have a way to know that.

Professional sounding vocals come from (in order of importance 'In My Opinion/Experience') performance of the vocalist, how the room sounds that it is recorded in, the experience of the engineer recording it making the decisions as to what is best as far as mic/preamp/blah blah. Then the silly things like compression and effects. Those are just frosting on the cake of what makes a good vocal. If it is not the shizz before it hits a microphone (or the pop filter before) it will likely suck. Or at least need lots of fixing BS.

On the budget end, we have to compensate for lack of big money. So we make sure to buy a decent interface with worthy preramps and a worthy mic. That could be a SM58. But, when we forget that the performance and the room is the most important, money get's spent on the wrong improvements. Room treatment and decent monitors are the most important to have a clue as to what the quality of anything going in is worth. This is not my opinion, it is absolute fact.

Read a bunch before you purchase so that you spend your money wisely, and listen to the members here that I have learned from.

Thanks lots and lots you have been great help! At least now I know where to start.. I have been searching online for some base traps like you recommended however, I couldn't find a good enough guide, so I just want to confirm. I put the base traps in every corner of my room top to bottom of my wall length wise? Also this might be a slight problem as my recording studio is in fact my bedroom at the same time but its pretty spacious i could bring in some pictures and you could recommend what kind of work I could do to make things sharper, if you don't mind of course :D
thanks once again

Ears are more important than equipment. Look at your EQ curves - you've sucked out the bottom end - it sounds to me like maybe your monitoring really needs sorting - if your system is boosting the bass (as many people's hi-fis are set to do) then to your ears it sounds too much, and you cut it. We listen on optimised and hopefully neutral monitors and it sounds weedy. Play some music you have little experience of on your system, with the EQ flat - maybe something orchestral, or big band or jazz as these have fairly even flat responses as the norm - see if the bass jumps out at you - it shouldn't. If it does, tweak the monitors until it sounds flat - then play your mixed track, and you may then hear the thin sound we are getting.

Hi, thanks for your participation. I was using beats studio headphones to mix the track I dont know what settings the factory have them on but they sounded not too bad when I listened to the track quality wise. Also I have decided to do a bit of an investment into studio monitors, Do you guys have any recommendations for top of the range and for value set my budget would be around 150-200 pounds

SMALL adjustments with EQ are all you need - usually subtracting a little rather than boosting.
You've taken a sledge hammer to your vocal & smashed the bottom end to oblivion as well as neutering the mids.
You need to listen to your voice and make small adjustments - it's what you do to the vocal makes a BIG difference then you've done too much.
BEATS headphones have very hyped bass.
The blurb says that you'll hear just like the artist wanted it to sound but that's rubbish.
Everything you listen with should be as neutral as possible - headphones, monitors, room, amp.
I'm no a fan of tweaking the settings on the amp by the way - I hear that as the wrong direction but I know plenty of people tune their gear to their room rather than tuning the room.

Back