I need some fresh ears on this! First EP track..

Hegs

Ive been working on my first EP for a while, all written, performed (minus drums) and recorded by me at home. Ive been working this track for a while but I really need seasoned external ears to let me know what you think i should change and what should stay.. especially mix wise.

Thanks a lot for any feedback, dont be shy, honesty is what im after! :guitar:

TREX (test)

Overall, I really like the song and the production! Very creative and pleasing to my fresh seasoned external ears. The first section, however, seemed to have too much high freq. content for my taste - it was a little brittle. The singer is excellent, and I thought the vocal level should be higher throughout the song, esp. around the one-minute mark where I was really straining to hear (the singer almost sounded like he was mumbling.) In the section following 1:24 it sounds to me like the vocal either goes slightly out of tune, or more likely, a wrong chord is being played underneath at certain points . I personally would put slightly less reverb on the vocal, but that's a matter of taste and many people would disagree with me (I like a more intimate vocal sound.) I might also try less compression on the vocal, because when the singer sings louder, his voice actually sounds smaller and more far away, and somewhat squished sounding. Set him free!

Overall, I really like the song and the production! Very creative and pleasing to my fresh seasoned external ears. The first section, however, seemed to have too much high freq. content for my taste - it was a little brittle. The singer is excellent, and I thought the vocal level should be higher throughout the song, esp. around the one-minute mark where I was really straining to hear (the singer almost sounded like he was mumbling.) In the section following 1:24 it sounds to me like the vocal either goes slightly out of tune, or more likely, a wrong chord is being played underneath at certain points . I personally would put slightly less reverb on the vocal, but that's a matter of taste and many people would disagree with me (I like a more intimate vocal sound.) I might also try less compression on the vocal, because when the singer sings louder, his voice actually sounds smaller and more far away, and somewhat squished sounding. Set him free!

Very detailed reply kirby, thx for your help. I can actually hear all those things you mention now too!

I like the tension between the vocal and backing in the section mentioned.
I'd like a little more bottom in the bass and kick.
The lyrics don't grab me but the delivery makes that a redundant comment as the vocal is quite interesting.
The ending is a quite different from the rest - maybe something should carry through as a common thread.
Generally? Good Suff

Back