I just feel like I'm still missing something!

Auralaxiom

Perhaps I've been working--nay, obsessing--over this piece for too long (spend the past 6 hours mixing it) but I just can't seem to get it. I'm writing it as a demo to submit to a particular sample company, so I want it to be as good as I can get it.

The mastering is really what's getting me. I just feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/auralaxiom/strange-lands

I don't know, I think it sounds great. It's not like a fanfare, and I like the sort of openness you get with the instruments you used. As a whole I think it sounds a bit mysterious, which I believe is what you were going for. I am listening on DT990s. It actually sounds quite fitting for the music I hear a lot in the documentaries I've watched recently - BBC's Life, Planet Earth & Africa.

Did you use VSTs? If so I'd love to hear what ones.. would love to try and create this sort of music some day.

I don't know, I think it sounds great. It's not like a fanfare, and I like the sort of openness you get with the instruments you used. As a whole I think it sounds a bit mysterious, which I believe is what you were going for. I am listening on DT990s. It actually sounds quite fitting for the music I hear a lot in the documentaries I've watched recently - BBC's Life, Planet Earth & Africa.

Did you use VSTs? If so I'd love to hear what ones.. would love to try and create this sort of music some day.

Thanks, appreciate it. I think I was just experiencing ear fatigue. That said, I did scoop out a bit too much mid. I put that back and it seemed to do the trick for me.

And yes, I used quite a few VST's. It was a combination of instruments Komplete Ultimate 9, the 8dio coppertone, Hollywood Strings, LASS 2.5, and I think the Gong from Logic Pro :D

That said, there was live oboe, tin whistle (high and low), shaker, and vocals…I used to be a session player (woodwind guy) before I got heavy into composition.

With the right plugins, you can make stuff that sounds quite convincing. I highly recommend getting the East West complete composers collection 2 (go with the PRO version or don't bother). Just be warned though…you'll need a beastly system to run it. Totally worth it though.

Awesome composition.

The piano has some type of very slight harshness to it. Could be MY ear fatigue (been listening to a lot of music the past few days). :p I think the full range and dynamics kick in nicely.

Back