I Do with BroKen_H - V2

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I've read all the comments from the previous thread and incorporated them into this version. If you can do a quick check on this mix - whatever you think needs changing let me know - I'll fix it and put this away for now. I have another song I need to work on for now. I just want to get this done (or as good as possible lol) and move on :)

View attachment I Do version 2 201505016 256.mp3

I could still use more kick and bass guitar. I'm still getting mostly vocal, piano and drum overheads. The lead vocal still has a little flange sound to it and some distortion, but if I remember correctly this was retrieved off of an old recorder. Could be an artifact of a sample rate conversion or something. Nice vocal performance, but might be worth a redo just to get a cleaner recording of it.

Still a nice song man.

Kick is ok for this song's sound, but the bass is just too low. There's a guitar string squeak (or something) at 0:26 on the left side and I heard some noises in the left (must be same track) at other times, probably just a bad frequency on that guitar that is accented - could even be pick noise.
Not hearing the compression-vocal duck kick-in/kick-off like before. The OH cymbals are loud/hissy.

Last edited:
Thanks Tadpui and mjbphotos.... I appreciate the listen after all my previous mixes. Comments duly noted and I will take them away for a remix. There is some "printed" issues that I cannot remove but I'll work with what I have.

Really like the bg vocals in the chorus. The kick sounds fine on my systems. I agree about the bass being too low and the cymbals being fizzy/hissy. I like the piano, but I think it could come down about 1.5 dB in the verse because it's a little distracting. I have the urge to try to knock 110hz down about 1 dB on the lead vocal with a fairly wide Q, but I'm not sure whether that would be good or not (probably would be good with the bass guitar up a bit). Nice performance all around.

Gerry,
The piano, pretty as it is, fights with your voice in the verses. Drop the keys a little.
Mike's bass - maybe give it a narrow peak at 3Kh so there's some more "definition" and that'll match with the low lows.
LOVE the song.

Thanks antichef and Ray, there's nothing above around 1K on the bass. There is a bit of leaked vocals but nothing else. That's why I used the drive plugin to try and get some harmonics. Maybe I can ask Jan what he used - although that mix had better bass it still lacked any highs on the bass.
Probably get Mike to re-record this sometime as it can't be rescued :)

Gerry,
It's a sin but try something like BBE sonic maximiser - it's based around creating stuff that's not there. It sometimes works - oft times doesn't but this may be one + time. It does have a bass preset.

I liked the dominant piano, no problem there, as far as I'm concerned. It recalls Springsteen's "Thunder Road" in treatment. I felt the vocal was far too dry - as the main instrument, it needs some body, some reverb. Not treating it properly makes it sound nasal and thin. Could be great, but unleash the vocal!

Sounds good, Gerry! This one must have been and oldie, because I can't remember playing this song.

Every so often, though, I hear some serious phasing going on. It happens almost every 10-20 seconds. Anyone else hearing that?

--Jason

Sounds good, Gerry! This one must have been and oldie, because I can't remember playing this song.

Every so often, though, I hear some serious phasing going on. It happens almost every 10-20 seconds. Anyone else hearing that?

--Jason

Hi Jason - I notice it too - it's a weird phasing or volume swell/drop every few seconds from the middle onward especially. I will check my home computer to see if it does it there.
Might be some kind of dithering problem when converting to mp3 in Sound Forge, or, something happening on the HR upload or site.

I agree with the dry vocal but I think the primary issue is the lack of lo-mid...it sounds pretty thin. I think the piano battles with the vocal a little. Chords instead of the arpeggios during the vocals might work better. It's not bad the way it is at all. Try bringing back the piano in the mix. That was a good suggestion.

Back