I Am Grateful (my latest attempt).

witm8

Hi all,

I finally got around to 'finishing' another song over the weekend, and would appreciate someone else giving it a quick listen and giving me some critique. The amount of times that I've heard it now, I'm starting to not even hear it (if that makes sense?).

I Am Grateful by Random-Tangent | Random Tangent | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I've tried and kept it really simple with only a handful of tracks in order to concentrate on the mix as a complete song - I was finding that as an ultimate beginner in mixing/mastering I was really struggling with everything once the track count started to build up on previous songs.

Many thanks

I like the vocal treatment, with the verb/delay stuff going on. It sounds nice as it is. I think the kick is the only weak link here, just my opinion. Too bland/paper-y sounding. If that makes sense. Really nice mix.

I like the vocal treatment, with the verb/delay stuff going on. It sounds nice as it is. I think the kick is the only weak link here, just my opinion. Too bland/paper-y sounding. If that makes sense. Really nice mix.

Many thanks for taking the time to listen, and give a constructive comment ! The vocal treatment was something new that I was trying - I found a really interesting YouTube video about vocal mixing which seemed to work. I'm trying to get myself more of a structured workflow as I seem to be picking things at random, I think that I will include this vocal treatment.

The kick could well be weak - I'll take your word for it. If I'm being honest they've not been mixed, just volume adjusted to fit. They're stock drummers in Logic as I usually use a drum track rather than the 'click' track when I record. Drums seem to always be the last thing that I do, maybe I simply just don't spend enough effort on these as I'm 90% complete so I'm impatient like that.

I'll have another look tonight and see what can be done.

thanks again!

...as I seem to be picking things at random, I think that I will include this vocal treatment.

Well, to me, it fits because of the space the guitars suggest. It fits with what is going on in the track, and that treatment might not fit another style/tune. Sounds good here though. Listening again.

The start of the song was a bit abrupt.

I'm not a big fan of delay and reverb, so it was a bit heavy for me.

The vocal tone was decent. Nice clarity, but slightly brittle. It could use a little warmth.

Levels on things sounded pretty good. Vocal is out front, bass has a nice levels and the pad instruments are nice. OK the kick might be just a bit too loud.

Back