How would you improve these vocals?

Vince Field

I'd appreciate feedback on my two tracks, especially regarding the vocals. I used 4 or 5 layer dubbing. Would you change anything about the sound? The tracks are at soundcloud.com/thecolonybrazil

I can’t find them and I’m not going to bother putting in extra effort to make the search, sorry.

You can post links after you’ve made 10 posts here. People will generally bite and offer help if you’ve done the same rather than coming once, getting your help, and taking off where we assume you will never be seen again.

DCB - vocals are pretty good, nice up front and strong.
Colony - not consistent. Sometimes up front, then sometimes getting run over by the music in parts. They don't seem as thick either.

I can't really comment on hip hop as it is not my thing at all. But a few things to think about on DCB:

- You have strong sibilance on the lead. You may have done that on purpose, but if not, look to knock down some of those high frequencies a bit.

- Obviously your leads are pushed super wide to the edges of the stereo field. I don't know how common that is, but I find it discomforting, like I have stereo ghosts trying to whisper in my ears.

- Your vocal accent tracks are center. Clearly you did all of that on purpose but I'm not sure it works for me. The vocal accents stand out way too much in contrast to the wide main vocals. If you are keeping it that way for style, I would suggest bringing the width down so the leads don't sit so far out but maybe 50-75% out, and have your vocal accent tracks spread a bit so they are not so dead center. Also touch them up so they don't feel more present than the leads.

I listened to Colony.

When it got the rap I thought the vocals sounded good. Tight multi-tracking. Good tonal balance. I'm not a rap expert, but there isn't really much I'd change.

Back