How much is too much reverb?

I've got a new band in, Trying to work with reverb and how much is too much. I've notice the snare is over the top at the intro, but works well once all chorus comes in. Just wondering about tricks with reverb that you can get the maxiumum without sounding like fake fest. Any advice on the mix is appreciated

Attachments

• 03 Track 3.mp3
    9.2 MB · Views: 44
Honestly the snare reverb sounds fine to me. Your snare sounds a little dark and pillowy though. Sounds like the transient is being crushed a little too hard.

Dude... I say use whatever gets you (or the band) the sound they want. The reverb on this snare seems to be making it a bit dull when everything is going full bore. It gets a bit buried, and I think a little less reverb, a little more EQ (or possible volume) would make it pop more.

The song sounds pretty good, dude.

Putting reverb on the snare will push it back and dilute its power. It also puts the snare in a different space to the rest of the kit if you only apply it to the snare. That may be the sound you're going for.
On a tune like this I would be more inclined to leave the reverb off entirely as it's quite a busy piece. Snare verbs generally work better in more sparse arrangements, to my ears anyway. In this instance it makes the snare sound like the wires are a bit loose

I think the snare sounds OK, but less reverb might help it pop more.

at 2:49, the vocals suddenly get much louder on "there is noTHING LEFT". It kind of sounds like you might have comped together two takes that had pretty different dynamics?

Overall, good song.

The song sounds pretty solid, the only mix issue that I hear with the drums is that the hi hats are louder and drier than the rest of the kit, as far as the snare is concerned, maybe just a tad too much, but the issue that it creates is an imbalanced sense of perception. The way my ears are hearing this is that the hi hats are right there, and the snare is in the background with the rest of the kit. Try bringing up the snare, pulling down on the hats just a little, and maybe dialing back the verb on the snare just a tad.

Nice job, sounding good

How are you applying reverb to the snare?...if its a send recieve I would automate the volume on the reverb track to control what parts of the song you want more or less verb on the drums.

Decent song

As for the mix...it needs lots of work however its not to bad...how long have you been mixing?...have you thought about having someone with more experience try a mix untill you get a bit better at it.

How are you applying reverb to the snare?...if its a send recieve I would automate the volume on the reverb track to control what parts of the song you want more or less verb on the drums.

Decent song

As for the mix...it needs lots of work however its not to bad...how long have you been mixing?...have you thought about having someone with more experience try a mix untill you get a bit better at it.

It needs a lot of work in what way, could you be more specific?

As for the reverb I'll post a new mix later, I'm going to try and apply reverb differently.

I agree andicus, I'm going to pull back the OH's, bring up the room mic and get the kit sounding all in one space. I was experimenting with how much reverb is over the top and apparently I've achieved that

Here's one with the fixed snare, I think I might have to pull back the highhats even more, but please take a listen

Attachments

• 01 Track 1.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ok here's the one mix I'm going to submit to the band, took out a bunch of mud from the guitars and the snare, wondering if I went too far it's too bright now? My ears are too scewed now with this tune, heard it too many times any input aprreciated

Attachments

• I Still Don't Know May 22.mp3
    8.1 MB · Views: 1
Back