How is the mix on this acoustic instrumental?

That's a very evocative recording - well done. It has a lot of momentum throughout, as well as nice sense of melody. The rhythm guitar sounds good. It's a little bass-heavy, but it fits well with the mix. I might be tempted to dial back the delay effect a little - it becomes a bit distracting in a few parts. But then again, it's a key part of the composition so you need to keep it up front. Nice job.

That's a very evocative recording - well done. It has a lot of momentum throughout, as well as nice sense of melody. The rhythm guitar sounds good. It's a little bass-heavy, but it fits well with the mix. I might be tempted to dial back the delay effect a little - it becomes a bit distracting in a few parts. But then again, it's a key part of the composition so you need to keep it up front. Nice job.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the acoustic being a little bass heavy as well. I rolled off the lows at 170 hz to leave a lot of bass in to reflect the tone of the guitar, since it is a demo of the guitar in a loose way. I was using Nickelback's "Photograph" as a reference track and was surprised at how trebly the acoustic guitars were.

The delays get overbearing on some parts, I agree. I guess if I was doing this at the professional level, I would be manipulating the delay mix and feedback controls more? Not sure as I am a total untrained amateur. The delays are left on the same settings for the whole song on this.

Thanks again,

Chris

The delays get overbearing on some parts, I agree. I guess if I was doing this at the professional level, I would be manipulating the delay mix and feedback controls more? Not sure as I am a total untrained amateur. The delays are left on the same settings for the whole song on this.

Thanks again,

Chris

Yeah, I think some variety in the delay level would add interest - bring it up for those points where you want extra energy or complexity. I'd also listen carefully to the delay effect, and pick out points where (i) the delayed tones aren't perfectly in sync rhythmically, or (ii) the melody evolves such that the new note and the delayed note are discordant. Then I'd see if I could cut the delay level around those points.

Back