How does this sound so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RAMI

I don't usually post un-finished tunes, but I can't do any vocals until this weekend. So, I figured I'd put up what I had so far.

I used a different snare and I'm having trouble getting used to the sound of this one. I don't know if it's just a matter of hearing my songs with a different snare sound, or if this snare just doesn't pop like it should.

Anyway, if you have any comments on the mix in general, that is always much appreciated.

Thanx

MAD (no vox)

Dude, that shit sounds awesome. This is probably the most rocking thing I've heard from you yet. The snare is a little fatter than usual, but that aint a bad thing for this song. I love it. Can't wait to hear it finished.

So what snare is this?

Sounds pretty good! The bass sounds great, and the drums sound really good too (I really like the toms). I hear what you mean about the snare not "popping", it's not a bad snare sound, it just doesn't have enough crack as I'd prefer. That's just my opinion though and I'm not sure what the overall vibe your going for is, like I said, it's definitely not bad. The only thing I don't particularly like is the tone of the rhythm guitar. Sounds like they could use a bit more high end for some definition and presence. I personally tend to like brighter, more aggressive sounding guitars, though, so take my opinion of them with a grain of salt. Once the vocal is in there they may fit perfectly.

Overall it sounds really good though! Thumbs up!

Dude, that shit sounds awesome. This is probably the most rocking thing I've heard from you yet. The snare is a little fatter than usual, but that aint a bad thing for this song. I love it. Can't wait to hear it finished.

So what snare is this?
`Awesome man, thanx. This is my metal Sonor snare that I've used before, but I just put an Evans "Genera Dry" on it, which has a buiolt in O-ring type thing on it. It rings less than any head I've ever put on my drums, so I got to get used to it.

Sounds pretty good! The bass sounds great, and the drums sound really good too (I really like the toms). I hear what you mean about the snare not "popping", it's not a bad snare sound, it just doesn't have enough crack as I'd prefer. That's just my opinion though and I'm not sure what the overall vibe your going for is, like I said, it's definitely not bad. The only thing I don't particularly like is the tone of the rhythm guitar. Sounds like they could use a bit more high end for some definition and presence. I personally tend to like brighter, more aggressive sounding guitars, though, so take my opinion of them with a grain of salt. Once the vocal is in there they may fit perfectly.

Overall it sounds really good though! Thumbs up!
Thanx a lot, I really appreciate that. I'll look into the guitars once I mix this for real. Looking at my amp now, I see that I might have placed the mic a little too far outside on the cone. I'm pretty sure it's salvageable without having to re-track. Thanx a gain.

I don't hear anything at all ambiance wise. Everything is bone dry.

Otherwise. Perfect.
There's actually quite a bit of reverb on everything but the bass. But if you don't hear it, I'll look into using a different reverb setting. Thanx.

Oh oh.. I listened at a low level, just didn't pick it up I guess.

No, it's cool.This is why I post and ask for opinions. Your comment made me realize I'm actually using a pretty dark room reverb and it might not be cutting through.I'm going to try something a little brighter. :cool:

Yes I listened again at full blast and still nothing, even on those stops. But shit it's so tight it really doesn't need any. Well maybe the kit some.

Yes I listened again at full blast and still nothing, even on those stops. But shit it's so tight it really doesn't need any. Well maybe the kit some.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't usually put a lot of reverb on guitars anyway. So, without vocals, the only thing that should have "audible" reverb on it is drums right now. I'm using a "drum room" reverb impulse for the first time, and it's definitely dark, probably too dark.

Thanx man. :cool:

I agree with the guitar comments. I was ultimately focused on the drums, but I did think the guitars were a little dark. A little EQ will clean that right up.

And please don't go reverbing it all up. I think the best reverb is the reverb you can't tell is even there. :D

Mix sounds great ! Sounds like it could stay as is without vocals as it's such a strong intrumental. But I'll keep on the lookout for the vocals :-)

I agree with the guitar comments. I was ultimately focused on the drums, but I did think the guitars were a little dark. A little EQ will clean that right up.

And please don't go reverbing it all up. I think the best reverb is the reverb you can't tell is even there. :D
Cool, I'll work on those guits. Don't worry about the verb. I'm not going to 1983 Springsteen it. :D

Mix sounds great ! Sounds like it could stay as is without vocals as it's such a strong intrumental. But I'll keep on the lookout for the vocals :-)
Thanx Ido. Yeah, I got to put vocals on it to really ruin it properly. :D

Hey Rami. As said above - this is really tight - man you can drum! I think the rhythm guitars still sound a little dark, gives it quite a metal sound to my ears (not a bad thing!).

I don't know if you're mixing the drums any differently, but I'm finding the layout a little confusing, maybe just because I was concentrating on them - I know you play lefty and in the mix the hat's on the right and ride on the left, as from your perspective, but then a lot of the toms are down the right too. I guess you spread them right across the stereo width - because I was concentrating on your rolls, it was sounding like some of the toms are where the hat is.

Dunno if that matters or you care - I just noticed it is all. It still sounds great, was just a bit confusing while I was trying to work out how you'd mixed them; whether it was from yours or the audience's perspective.

Overall, sounds really good and I was just itching to hear some vocals - can't wait to hear the finished product.

Now that is a backing track! Sounds great here to me.

The drums and the bass are sweet. I really like the guitar tones, heavy Steve Jones (Pistols) kind of rhythm with a Brian May tone/style on the lead. Sounds great cranked up at volume. I'm sure my neighbours are currently enjoying this!

I'll be interested to hear the vocals. I like to hear a backing track first and have an idea of what I would like to hear over a track and then be totally surprised when I hear a finished product and the vocals are nothing like I imagined.

Top stuff!

'ma-zing' is the term you're after... :D

Nice stuff. Tight as a nu.... erm.. something that's very tight... ;)
Thanx a lot Armistice. :cool:

Hey Rami. As said above - this is really tight - man you can drum! I think the rhythm guitars still sound a little dark, gives it quite a metal sound to my ears (not a bad thing!).

I don't know if you're mixing the drums any differently, but I'm finding the layout a little confusing, maybe just because I was concentrating on them - I know you play lefty and in the mix the hat's on the right and ride on the left, as from your perspective, but then a lot of the toms are down the right too. I guess you spread them right across the stereo width - because I was concentrating on your rolls, it was sounding like some of the toms are where the hat is.

Dunno if that matters or you care - I just noticed it is all. It still sounds great, was just a bit confusing while I was trying to work out how you'd mixed them; whether it was from yours or the audience's perspective.

Overall, sounds really good and I was just itching to hear some vocals - can't wait to hear the finished product.
Thanx Johny. I don't mic my toms, so they fall where they fall in the overheads. But, yes, you're right, I have one tom that's pretty much where the hi-hat is, spread-wise. Funny thing is, I probably only hit that tom in one of every 10 songs and I needed it in this one.

Now that is a backing track! Sounds great here to me.

The drums and the bass are sweet. I really like the guitar tones, heavy Steve Jones (Pistols) kind of rhythm with a Brian May tone/style on the lead. Sounds great cranked up at volume. I'm sure my neighbours are currently enjoying this!

I'll be interested to hear the vocals. I like to hear a backing track first and have an idea of what I would like to hear over a track and then be totally surprised when I hear a finished product and the vocals are nothing like I imagined.

Top stuff!
Thanx dude. I hope the vocals don't ruin it. :D I have the lyrics written and I'm ready to record them. SHould have them done this weekend. Thanx man.

awesome mix and song RAMI! my 2 cents.. .

the kick drum sounds a little weak and its more of an EQ thing than a volume thing

AWESOME rush-like run at 2.09 and 2.14 ... very cool... waiting for that signature rush synth to break during that part haha.

Snare could use some EQ boost in the very highs to get some more sizzle of the snares

some of the lead guitar work could be fatter, maybe double tracked.

your mix sounds good as is, just my personal taste

I listened to it pretty loud and the reverb is kinda hard to pick up on, I think maybe it's the snare that's making it sound a bit dry, but I'm sure it will sound totally different and better with vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back